Track related icons and correct file formats

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jka, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I have been searching around correct file formats of track related icon files. Some templates includes information of suggested dds - formats, but I still have problems to get every one of them working correctly.

Let's take a Mills Inner Loop C as an example:

MILLS_INNERLOOPC_LOADING.JPG - layout specific loading screen, 1280 x 960 jpeg - file.

MILLSICON.DDS - Track name icon, used in rolling track selection menu. Track GBD - file points to this icon. 1024 x 1024 5,5,5 RGB 16bpp DDS - file (?)

MILLSINNERLOOPCICON.TGA - Layout specific icon, which is used rolling track selection menu (together with MILLSICON.DDS). 102 x 87 32 bit TGA - file, requires alpha.

MILLSINNERLOOPCSMICON.DDS - Icon on main menu (TRACK - button). 512 x 512 8,8,8,8 ARGB 32bpp dds - file, requires alpha (?).

MILLSINNERLOOPCTHMB.TGA - Track layout icon on track monitor screen. 190 x 128 32bit TGA - file, requires alpha.

SWHEEL_TRACKMAP.DDS - Layout specific steering wheel icon. 128 x 256 DDS - file, not sure about correct format...

Icon files folder locations on dev mode:

MILLS_INNERLOOPC_LOADING.JPG - in track layout folder (\Locations\Mills\InnerLoopC)

MILLSICON.DDS - in track main folder (\Locations\Mills)

MILLSINNERLOOPCICON.TGA - in track layout folder (\Locations\Mills\InnerLoopC)

MILLSINNERLOOPCSMICON.DDS - in track layout folder (\Locations\Mills\InnerLoopC)

MILLSINNERLOOPCTHMB.TGA - in track layout folder (\Locations\Mills\InnerLoopC)

SWHEEL_TRACKMAP.DDS - in track layout folder (\Locations\Mills\InnerLoopC)

Can Devs (Luc or mianiak?) confirm correct file formats and locations all of these track related icon files?

Cheers!

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Some time ago I downloaded from here a set of psd's with the correct dds format included, but for the life of me I can't find the thread/post to link to, or to give credit to the author, ...anyway, I have uploaded it to gamefront and you can grab it from here.

Cheers

Goanna

PS, if you're the author of the said psd's, let me know where the original post/thread is and I'll amend this one to point to it.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

All ISI's icons and loading screen templates can be downloaded from "Modding Download" thread.

Most of them include information of dds format, but I'm not 100% sure that information is valid...

Cheers!

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Or maybe something changed. I'm fairly certain the SMIcon I used for Fuji and Topeka worked fine before the last update (I think I saved it as 5,5,5 RGB), but now it didn't show up. I had to resave it as 8,8,8,8 RGB (now being HUGE in filesize) and now it works fine again.

I don't quite understand why DXT1 (or 5 if alpha is required) aren't sufficient. Or some got to be tgas. It's just the menus, isn't it? What special rendering trick does that need? It's a bit muddled up and I'd much prefer it to be streamlined into one format for all dds for rF2 gold.

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Compression (i.e. artifacts).

6. 10speed

10speed Registered

Even BMP files are smaller than this kind of DDS. You could also use PNG (save about 80% filesize) or JPG (highest quality settings, saves about 85% filesize) and get the same image quality. Why waste 4 MB on a picture when the screenshot used in it (have a look at the megane trophy icon) was taken with anti-aliasing deactivated and there are sawtooth distortions visible everywhere???

7. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

For the record, in current build TrackIcon.dds file should be saved in 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp (unsigned ) format WITHOUT alpha channel.

Original ISI template contains alpha channel. Remember delete it before saving the file...

Cheers!