Track not always lit by head lights

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Gijs van Elderen, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Got it !!! :D

So the Real Road shader is making use of 4 UV channels, not 3 channels like in this information.

And

Start counting from "0"....
    All info i've read about the UV channels here on the ISI forum and in the dev corners PDF's start counting from CH 1 not CH 0. Hence the confusion...

http://imagespaceinc.com/downloads/rf2/modsresources/rF2_Terrain_Shader.pdf ==> Is talking about CH 1, 2, 3, 4 . So i guess this will be 0,1,2,3 in GJED or is it different?
    And what about other shaders that makes use of multiple UV channels?

Anyway, I'm happy the mystery is solved. :cool:

Thanx for the help !!!

View attachment 19246
    View attachment 19247
    View attachment 19248
    View attachment 19251
    View attachment 19249

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted :) !

There is a lot of confusion about mapping channels. Shaders are limited to 4 sets of coordinates (0, 1, 2, 3), while most artists (all 3ds Max users until gJED) are used to working with mapping channels (1, 2, 3, 4). These are not the same things. For example, in the case of the Real Road Shader, the normal map is typically assigned to (Max) UV Channel 1 (low frequency diffuse map) or 2 (high frequency detail map), but these coordinates get exported as the third set (2). Internally, the shader works with those 4 sets of UVs, but to us (Max) artists it seems like there are only 3. Need more confusion :) ?

I think the easiest solution for other shaders would be to create a new post and ask if you run into trouble. In nearly all cases you should be fine though.

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered