Track Layout Contest 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by feels3, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Congrats Kalle! Track looks great and very well thought out for racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  2. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Kalle “KeiKei Kour

Congratulations mate,,what a wonderfull design,and with feels3 on the case should be a show stopper:D

3. Bloody

Bloody Registered

Wow, this track looks amazing. Congratulations Kalle. I think feels will do one hell of a track from this layout :)

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Creativity comes from Finland. Congratulations!

5. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

congratulations!

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Congratulations to the winner! I'd like to see cars jumping over that slope!

Just for curiosioty... Did you make a quick draft of the track to drive around and check how the layout felt when driving?
    I always do with my tracks since experience says that sometimes what looks OK on the paper is not what expected when trying it with a car. I have always made corrections to the first draft of each of my projects. In some cases few, in some cases more and sometimes I have even abandoned the whole project.

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's a concept atm. It's obvious that we will work on the layout during the track development :)

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Would you consider utilising some of the infield for an additional layout?

9. feels3

That's not question for me, I'm only "texture" guy in this project :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Oh my God!!! I'm having really hard time finding words for this... just staring at the screen with glazed eyes unable to decide where to start and what to write! :D

Well well well. I guess it would be best to start by giving BIG thanks to feels3 for organizing this contest! What a wonderful idea and opportunity this was... and is. I was very surprised to hear 40 people made their layouts. I guess feels3 must have been pretty surprised too. :) I'm extremely excited and happy about this, of course, but at the same time feel sad for everybody else who put their efforts for this contest but didn't quite make it. However I believe that hard work isn't going to be thrown away. I don't know about you guys but personally was thinking maybe I'll learn to do tracks some day in case my layout didn't win. Or at least I would have tried to find someone for making it to reality. One door closes and others are opened - that's how it goes in life.

You guys and gals can't imagine how I feel right now. This is insane really. At the same time I can't stop smiling, can't believe this has even happened and also starting to feel enormous pressure of the forthcoming work to be done. I mean failure isn't an option! I don't give s**t about my reputation and the pressure comes purely because I want this track to be as close to perfection as possible and it to offer great races and excitement for so many simracers out there. On the other hand can't remember when felt so focused and determined as I now am so guess I'm dealing the pressure the right way. :)

I have very strong confidence on those ideas of different portions of the track but on the other hand it's all imagination until the first drivable version is out for testing. Of course I used real world track measurements etc. as a reference but there are still many new things which probably require some trial and error. But just like feels3 said; it's about the idea. It's a concept. And imagine how great design tool rF2 itself can be if creating/altering test track could be kept light and simple. If we can do that, and based on what Spaskis said we probably can, then there's no doubt in my mind that we couldn't success.

But we'll see in time and all I can promise is to give my very best for this project and simracing community. Hope my GF has some understanding and forbearance for a while... ;)

11. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Well don't waste time here..get to work..lol,,,and congratulations once again;)

12. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Oh OK! :) No pressure for you about succeeding with the layout then? ;)

Personally I've never been too keen about additional layouts but on the other hand don't have anything against those. But there should be purpose for those to exist and with only 3 km maximum length I suspect there's no need for one. But will definately consider those (have already considered) and think right point for evaluation is when we've started to find the right flow for the track and see what kind of vehicles it suits. I'm suspecting the current layout will be best for low power vehicles like Clio, Skippy, 370z, etc. but we'll see.

So if something it could be that the need for additional layouts would be of making the track longer. Back to you feels3. ;)

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Hahah indeed! :D And what the heck was that "...but they don't have any experience in modding" anyway? ;)

For real I would very much like to help feels3 with the actual track creation too but currently my time and knowledge is limited. Hopefully there's something I could assist in addition for finding the right flow, etc. I have basic understanding about 3D modeling, have lots of ideas for the track and willing to learn some modding. But as it was stated in the first post:

It's feels3 who decides and I'm just offering my assistance if needed and if I could be capable of doing something useful. But enough said. We've lot to plan with feels3 including how to communicate outside the project so... :)

Thank you all for your warm wishes! Hopefully we can make something special out of this.

14. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

We should have RF2 track fantasy suggestions site, and let people vote for most intressting designs, and creators can choose to create the designs as long as they include the maker of design somehow. Would be awsome to see everybody else concepts!

I want a new "bathurst" btw! Love the elevation changes in that one! So more fantasy stuff like Leafmoor and so on!

15. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Yay! I'm really pleased because the winning entry shares a lot of the features in my design! My track is more club circuit style and KeiKei's looks more "out-and-back", terminology used to describe roller-coaster design actually. I wouldn't be surprised if KeiKei played his fair share of RCT1 back in the day lol. Looks like we share our love of speedbowls too.

Only one question, what happens to the other 40 designs?

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

@ john persson --> why not a thread? I'd be happy to share my design and sure others would too.

17. lbird

lbird Registered

Congrats to finland, nice layout you came up with KeiKei. I am really curious how it will pan out when driving it in a car then.
    One question: Did you think about the general scenery around the track already? Will it be situated in a forest with a lot of trees around, will it be out in the open or themed in any way (like the real world airfield at Dunsfold)? Just curious, because together with that very unusual layout you can probably enhance it by thinking about the proper surroundings... Just my imagination when viewing and reading your draft, it is up to you guys to think about that....

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Almost bought the game back then so no for RCT1 but very much yes for Stunt Car Racer! :) Yeah that speedbowl should be awesome. I could imagine it will be quite difficult to make just like I want it but on the other hand I like challenges. I know how to calculate the right tilt for it based on maximum friction and speed but still feel it's better to create by feel and finetune by testing with rF2 and different vehicles. Interesting to see how it turns out.

Actually it's up to feels3 and I'm sure he has already lots of things planned and also some theme alternatives for it but I'm certainly going to give my propositions and opinions for it. I would love to see forests and other objects very close to the track because it will increase the sensation of speed dramatically. And love the countryside feel of Spa, Rouen, Nordschleife, etc. but it's not me who decides. And I want to see the ocean from some parts of the track but don't have any understanding if it's even possible with rF2's graphics engine. :) Modern F1 tracks for example are pretty dull for me because safety areas are so large and tracks are also so wide. All I did during the design was to make sure that elevations woudn't cause issues on landscaping.

19. feels3

Contest needed at least one rule :) . It was one layout with max lenght ~ 3km, now we can discuse about small modification, but first we have to do main layout and then we will see :)

Other designs are property of their authors and it's up them what they want to do with it. I can do only one track.

The biggest advantage of fictional layout is that we can do what ever we want for enviroment and no one can say that it's not real :) . If we decide to do winter enviroment in high mountains, we'll do that. If we decide to build this track around the lake, we'll do that :)

But first I have to finish Poznan, then I could think about Leafmoor Park.

20. Axly

Axly Registered

After reading through the track description and seeing how much thought and consideration that went into it, I can only take my hat off and congratulate. This looks very very promising! :)