Track Development Update -- 19Mar2012

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Hi all,

We thought we'd take a moment or two to update you all on the current state of rF2 tracks, both released and yet to come. First, let's talk about the most recent track addition--Palm Beach.

You really wouldn't think it by looking at it, but it's a great drive. I've had MANY enjoyable races there while we were testing it and getting it ready for its Beta release. It also seems that many people like the look of it graphically. What you're seeing is a natural progression of both creative process as well as engine refinement. As I've mentioned before, many of our earlier tracks were created while the engine was being upgraded and new features were coming online. This makes it very difficult to really achieve a solid, consistent level artistically. Since the first Beta release we've been able to slow down and begin to refine not only the graphic engine itself, but also how we (Luc and I) make use of it.

From an artistic stand-point Luc has had time to evaluate the texturing (detail maps, spec levels, etc) and revise those maps we're finding "below the mark". Personally, I've had time lately to try some new ways of doing things with regards to how tracks are put together to also up my game. Some of these revisions you can see at Palm Beach, others you will see with our next track release. Even more we will start playing with for the following track.

Luc explained it pretty well in an email he sent to Tim and me earlier today: "All our tracks are the results of continuous experiments. Consider them to be like F1’s winter testing: you run a complete program of tests to understand the new car, and then you can focus on what kind of setup tweaks it likes. We have more experience with rF2, and every track will always be an evolution of the previous one."

That's a very good analogy to how we're working--make a new track, try some new things, take what works and apply it to the next and try something else for what doesn't work. Eventually we'll end up with very solid, high quality tracks, I think. At that point we'll take everything we've learned and go back and start revisiting the earlier tracks until everything is at the same level (or as close as we can get it).

As for the track we are currently working on--I'm not really ready to say what it is yet, but I'm thinking it will go over pretty well :). We have a new car to go with it as well, and it is great to drive already. This isn't the only track we have waiting in the wings--there are others that support new car series, some that support the series we already have, and a couple more in various states of production. As you saw with Palm Beach, we'll be releasing these periodically over the course of Beta and beyond as we go into the release and post-release stages.

In any case, we have a lot going on here--tracks being refined, created and planned. We'll have no shortage of content for you all.

On the modding front, we continue to expand and refine the mod creation and packaging process and the tools to do these things. We'll have some more info on this soon, so keep an eye out for that.

Anyway, personally, I hope you all enjoying rF2 in its current form, and will stick around to enjoy it more as it matures....

Cheers everyone :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Thanks for keeping us informed on the progress Scott. :)

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thank you Scott & also Luc .. Great up date on whats going on with your end , your combind efforts are reely starting to shine !!
    keep up the good work !

Kudos !!

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Thanks for the update Scott.

The testing analogy is a good one. Another point to keep in mind is that track creation is very much an art and as in every art, there are different styles one can employ. You and Luc have developed a certain distinct style. Others have developed theirs. I find it easy to tell them apart, but each has its own artistic merit and I find any comments as to which one is better a bit pointless.

However...
    Any news on the bugs or limitations of the current tools/channel setup that have been reported? That's much closer to a modder's heart than what tracks you're producing, no offense intended. :)

5. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

hi

about modding, i understand the packaging part is important but don't forget all others parameters ;)

packaging is the last step, and anecdotic one, normaly, for modders. if you want they make some contents, and so... some packages, don't forget shaders, examples (i'm thinking about 3d animated objects) and other stuff ;)

bye

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Thanks guys for the update.

7. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Thanks for the good work, yes Palm beach is great fun to race at, and it does also look very nice so a big well done, look forward to the next release :)

8. Kenneth Sehested Pedersen

Kenneth Sehested Pedersen Registered

Not much to say but +1
    and keep up the good work guys.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the update Scott (and Luc!), looking forward to trying out the new tracks and your re-doing of Mills no doubt in the future as you relate too above.

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

My dream for the upcoming car/track combo: rF3 & Toban

I'd also accept the Kodi Rayzor and Lienz. ;)

12. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

;) thanks for the guys that are doing this great work.

13. wpthayer

wpthayer Registered

Is this track out now if yes, where?
    And if yes, how could have I missed it.

14. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Thank you for this update, Scott and Luc.

It has been nice ride to learn new technology and I'm looking forward to upcoming development on this area.

Cheers!

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Any news about changing the Mod system is good news.

17. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Couldnt have put it better. Thanks so much guys for all the work you guys do for all of us. ISI rocks.:cool:

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Thanks for the updates indeed. So far, you guys are doing a great job with rf2, so keep it up!!

19. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yeah thanks for the update, quite exciting

20. jackvee

jackvee Registered

Could someone please tell me where to download the Palm Beach track spoken of here? Thanks All