Track Development Tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TChapman500, Jan 24, 2011.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Are there any plans for ISI to build tools to easily develop tracks for rFactor? Something similar to Sandbox, but with the ability to build multi-course tracks without overlapping the courses. Something that can build a track like the one in this screenshot, but not overlap the courses.

View attachment 169

The track in the screenshot is being built with multiple courses (using Sandbox), and the courses do overlap each other, especaully in the corners. I would like ISI to develop a tool similar to Sandbox, but has a feature that allows you to "weld" the courses together so that they don't overlap.

Also, a keyboard entry feature for absolute precision that can automatically calculate angles of certain segments to further increase the precision.

2. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

How about a Bobs Track Builder Plugin for rFactor 2?

3. beatnik

beatnik Registered

A tool would definitely be nice, but it wouldn't hurt for a hub of centralized information on how to Create Tracks would go even further. Thus far this forum has turned into a great resource though.

I do like the accessibility that Bob's Track Builder provides for beginners. I know when I first started learning didn't know a vertex from a vortex, but just playing around inside Bob's helped me begin to understand things a bit more and fed my appetite for learning. I prefer 3ds Max now but would love to see some sort of Tool.

Only thing that would worry me is that too many people would just rush out tracks that aren't up to quality and flood the community with undesirables.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You can afford 3dmax?!!

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I haven't been a student for a couple of years now. Last I checked the program was in the 5,000 dollar range. I think I'll let others make tracks. :D

7. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

3DS Max is $3,495. Sandbox is free. 3D SimEd makes a nice complement to sandbox though. As well as gmax and it's free too. Gmax is mostly for vertex welding though. 3D SimEd is for converting the models. If using gmax, I recommend using the FSX game pack to get the model back into the right format. Together, there's almost nothing that can't be done to make nice tracks. I would like for ISI to build a utility similar to sandbox, but with a lot more features (especially support for multi-course tracks) and clearer documentation.

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Honestly, if your going to use a free 3 editor, use Blender. Anything else is just to foreign.
    What I mean is, If you want support from this community, you will get lots of support for 3dmax and Blender, but anything else and your basically on your own.

The latest Blender version has customisable scripts for keyboard and mouse controls, look up blenderartists forums for a 3dmax settings, load them up and you will hardly notice the difference.

All you need with Blender is simed, export from blender as .obj > simed and your sweet as pie.

[ED] Here you go http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Blender_track_modelling_tutorial

9. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I know that there are some here that know how to use sandbox. I'm one of them. I won't really be needing any support for sandbox. For blender, well, thanks for the link.