Track building help needed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mitja Bonca, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Registered

Hello everyone. I'm creating a track from scratch, and would like to know some things. A friend of mine proposed to turn on this forum and/or Mario Morais. So here I am.
    I work with 3ds max.
    How do you align sand traps to the road mesh? If its all flat there is no problem, but if there is an elevation in terrain, then some movements of verteces are necessary. Is there any technique to do so? Check my 2 images, one from top, the other from side view. Keep in mind that the road mesh is finished, has the fine tuned layout. In this example the turn is angled to inside and it goes down (it has elevation). So how to align the sand to the road. Keep in mind they must not be weld together. It has to be like you see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. shiet

shiet Registered

Doesn't the graveltrap suppose to be part of the terrain but with different vertex painting on the material?

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You could select the edges of the track and extrude out towards the sand trap. From that extruded edge you could then build over where the gravel trap should be then full detaching from the track.

Mitja Bonca likes this.
  4. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Registered

What I did, is to extrude spline (with Outline) used Scross Section for making new poligons (when selecting Editable poly), then maually one by one vertex of spline of sand trap moved to its Z location (where it closses the mash of road). I doubt there is much of automation possilble, since the road mash curves in many directions, and so has sand trap. But now its ok, i can at least get the sam Z level of sand as of the road.

5. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Registered

I would need some more help. How to connect vertex to then create polys (with Editable Poly modifier)? So far this is now a "in-all-directions" curved spline. If I try to use a Subdivide modifier it does not work correctly, since it only adds flat surfaces, and some huge step in between because of the elevation.
    I would have to connect bottom and top vertexes, so I can get a curved surface. But how?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. LilSki

LilSki Registered

I'm reluctant to help on this due to some personal issues but in my opinion you are getting ahead of yourself. You model the track and land. Then after the land is done then you can cut out where you want the sand traps and such. You are over complicating the whole process.