Toban should be next track from ISI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Aug 11, 2012.

?

Should Toban be the next content by ISI?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2012.
  1. Yes, Toban will add more value than any other car or track

34 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. No, I am a loser

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No, but I will quit whining and maybe even say some nice things for a while.

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. No, but I am not a loser I just have a problem with commitment and bad taste in content

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Algarve is so awesome. The elevation changes are just so awesome and the whole track when racing feels like a rollercoaster.. 4:30 epic!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

+1 for modern Silverstone, however I am biased as I'm British. rF1 Silverstone was such a joyous version to drive around.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have many, mainly created directly from GPS data, just added grass to sides and trees with BTB, I have no patience of track maker, but with BTB I could get those interesting roads to drivable form, it would be massive amount of work to get it done properly.

With my max skills and patience I can't make this for rF2, so it is free for anyone to do whatever they like with it, short point to point track, would fit nicely for rallying stage on tarmac or gravel.
    [​IMG]
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/partaharju3b.jpg big map
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/Partaharju3b.zip

4. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

All very good choices, I'd be pleased with any of those.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats really nice, thats what I meant :)
    (do they have these deep ditches at the sides? Insanely dangerous!)

6. RafBR

RafBR Registered

+1

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Sure, what fun it would be without ditches? :D
    [​IMG]

At winter they are covered by snow and at summer by vegetation, but ditches are there, sometimes people get drown to them as they are too drunk and fell a sleep, roll bottom of ditch and there is water at the bottom.

[​IMG]

(And they think us Finns are crazy...)

Ditches are there often, not always and mostly on those fun roads, but that is missing from about every sim so far and I find it being huge loss on rally stages as they are really frightening when you are doing 150kph on loose gravel jumping up and down, road are quite narrow and center of road is quite bit higher than edges, all that because during the spring snow and ice melts and it needs to move away from road so that road would not be destroyed, still there are few weeks during the spring when farmers pull cars out from worst places.

I guess that has part to do with we having so many rally championships, if you can drive 110% between those ditches, then you can do it under any pressure.

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

LOL

Yes, yes Ive seen a lot of these accidents in Finland Rally, we have a lot of them here, but something looks wrong in your track.

If there are markings on the road, these usually are a fair distance from edge of ditch, so there is a minimum safety zone in case you have a wheel outside them, which is common.
    I think you positioned them too close to the ditch, thats all :)

EDIT too close to the edge of tarmac, not ditch, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Usually yes, there is 15cm from edge of tarmac to edge of ditch, I measured that from road that goes past my house, white line is painted to edge of tarmac, sometimes over the edge, I bicycle on such road almost daily, I should cycle right side of that white line, but it is impossible as soft sand is there and then a ditch, it is very easy to end up to ditch from that sand.

For gravel roads, it often is so that there is nothing else than just road and ditch, many are afraid to drive near to edge as it is so soft, so there is vegetation then growing. What is missing is vegetation and nice blending of things, that is one thing that makes it look wrong. Also shoulder is bit too sharp, ditch bit too narrow etc.

It is quite difficult to get shown in screenshot, but here is couple of shots from editor:
    View attachment 3580

View attachment 3581

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

now thats strange!
    if you see my EDIT at above post, I meant that white line is too close to the end of tarmac.
    In my country the distance between white line and edge of tarmac is AT LEAST 40cm, which make a psycological safety barrier even if there is a huge mountain drop down.
    I lived in UK for some time and it was the same.
    White line at edge of tarmac? brrrr (shiver)...

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

No, it is right at edge, but at bigger roads there is more area left there, but bigger roads are boring. You can see it here, speed limit 80kph, at winter of course it is icy and road is bit narrower because of snow.
    [​IMG]

edit: road I bicycle most is similar, it is 'interesting' when two big trucks at full load of logs passes same place where I'm bicycling. Neighbourg's father did die at 70's on such event and road is not any wider today, just tarmac surface that is in very poor condition, sometimes hard to stay uprigjht as wheel wedges into crack of tarmac.

12. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Well if there are tracks coming from both sides of the Atlantic, I imagine either Montreal or Mosport as one. The former because there was a licensed version in rF1 -and it would be fantastic to have an rF2 caliber version- and the latter because it correlates with the 60s formula cars.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well...you shouldnt use bicycle there imho, not without group of riders and a car on the back.
    Not want to spell bad luck but you must understand that a car driver's first impression of a bicycle, is, that it is a motorbike and the big difference in speed when he realises its a bicycle, sometimes makes it impossible for the car to brake.
    when I see a single bicycle in road traffic, i really pray for his rider...

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It is coming soon.

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats good info, thanks.

16. 88mphTim

Why wouldn't you want to use the tools we use? They are regular commercial products.

We have a few tools to translate data, but the output is created with tools you can buy yourself. Development of those tools would cost probably more than rFactor2.

If people are unhappy about that issue in particular, they should probably start to work on accepting the fact that we aren't going to release a track builder.

17. 88mphTim

Indeed. It would be possible to create a relatively poor track editor, quicker. But then, what would be the point?

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

LOL, it is normal here to bicycle on those roads, some even bicycle at middle of road, many walk with dogs at middle of road, this is countryside, we don't have that city safety stuff here :D

Car drivers can't see even big trucks, so I except them not to see anything really, they just go past me without slowing down and I'm driving on that white line most of the time, gives me good 5cm to keep my tires on. That is how things are in reality and on majority of roads by km.

Now think about winter time, when snow piles up right there edge of tarmac, 50cm high, between that and where car wheels go is 3-15cm deep snow, there is only 4 hours of light so mostly we travel at dark, now those challenges alone would make real nice track, add to that young males and they having their fun on those roads with rwd car.

With snow comes also such challenge that as it is deeper at near snow pileup at the edge, if car driver to that deep snow wheels sunk to to that snow at edge and steering can pull very sharply towards snow pile, if tire touches snow pileup at edge car gets instantly sucked into ditch, feels like being at roller coaster, I know as I dodged someone who cut corner (most cut corners, blind ones too at winter).
    Proper snow is something I have not seen in sims ever, not in any game, would be interesting to test if it could be created though, maybe high resistance, bit of sinking, perhaps some trick with invisibility and terrain set to level that is at top of the snow pileup with 1m of sinking and great bit of resistance?
    You would need also two frictions for road surface, 8 'stripes' running direction of track as where wheels go there is ice, snow between them, that also varies quite a bit, that would put real road for proper test, just what it can do with winter tires grip difference is quite big between part of roads ;)

It would also require some different sound effects from different material of road, skid sounds too quite different, friction between sliding and not sliding is also huge.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

Any tracks with it?

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Raced Historx at Road Atlanta last night with the efnet guys. Almost 30 people. Incredibly fun track!