To all the people complaing about no DX11 :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 21, 2012.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'd implement HDR first.

You don't even need any 3D engine for it. All you need is a lightprobe image (in other words a HDR photo). In the end, HDR implementation's role is just displaying stuff on screen.

Besides - how would I work on very dark night and very bright day if I don't have anything to display it dynamically. My day and night would have to be in the same range.

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Consider this rfactors lighting system work via a geo location system as since rf1. Hdr is dependant of the track and suns location at a certain longitude and latitude position in time and season, if we eliminate weather from the equation it should remain consistant along the equator where as further north or south the horizon and skyline may come into play. We can then start to add weather effects, cloud coverage etc. Dawn till dusk colouring and start to see changes in colour of light and intensity. Other effects are all driven from these basic set standards. A track modeller will depend on these variables for accurately modeling colour at a particular time of day, yes hdr is an overlay but it has the same importance as lighting as they are the same thing. Hdr and lighting are both tweaked together not one after another, then tweaked again once you add the weather variable, then with all three will the overlayed eye effects or camera effects be added. Atleast in a logical sence that is the path most programmers and designers should take.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You are still getting HDR as effect to modify vissuals in the first row. It is wrong.
    HDR is technique to made light range wider. Or in short: to simulate how human eye sees the incoming light in real world.
    So, at first, the world must "generate light in correct way", after that light is interpreted by you eyes-brain. Doesn't matter if you watch the world on the north pole or African desert. Doesn't matter it is down, noon or night. Your eyes works always the same way. That's why HDR should be defined once, not for each scene separately as you are suggesting

Let's summarize: at first step, lighting without hdr must be prepared to look correct at first place. Then HDR (as well as other post processing effects) may be applied.
    As KS said, HDR may be prepared before - with knowledge about expected results (usually some light intensity function). This is it: it is not depended on the scene, it is how you want to simulate eye reaction on light.
    But for a sake, it shouldn't be used as a tool to reach final scene appearance. It is just helper with limited light range of monitors, not cure for bad looking scenes.

It applies for programmers who uses HDR for beautifying final result only (or make it more attractive). But it is not what HDR is designed to be used for.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  4. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Personally I really don't care that much about the graphics. I want a great tire model and excellent FFB. There's loads of driving games I can't stand with really sugary over the top graphics and no playability.

5. RafBR

RafBR Registered

For me real means the feel that I feel when driving my actual car...and rFactor2 is really close to it!

6. djt

djt Registered

Using DirectX 11 to make a game look beautiful is only part of it, GPU utilization is the other and that's where DirectX 9 falls short when compared to DirectX 10/11.

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Fella's Lets all calm down. It should be obvious that the next giant leap forward for gaming visualizations is going to be OpenGL... .FTW

No, seriously.

8. djt

djt Registered

After seeing first hand what the Outerra game engine is capable of, OpenGL isn't a bad option at all. From what I've read depending on the capability of who is developing/writing the game/rendering engine, OpenGL can also match DirectX 11 as far as utilizing the GPU's resources.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Who is complaining :confused:

10. Paulinho

Paulinho Registered

I was playing rFactor 2 yesterday on my 50" TV, and I just couldn't get it focused.. I then realised that I had it running via the VGA port, so I'm off out in a min to find a hdmi cable to try it in 1080p, that should make some difference..

The game races well though :) (sadly I don't lol)

11. Spyder

Spyder Registered

You own an HDTV but don't have an Hdmi cable in the house to try rFactor with??

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

Lol maybe he needs a dvi to hdmi adapter.
    Regardless its pointless guessing which way isi has chosen to develop the visuals but we know that hdr is being worked on before raindrops an all other effect stuff.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Alesi said: but isi instead of making optimization and work on graphic level (physics too), works on content. bad idea, very bad!!! start working on graphic level, make it great, then start on content and licensing!!! Reply Reply With Quote .

Actually...good idea, very good!!!
    I have a stack of Shifts etc. lying around, dont want more!

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I believe that programming and modelling involves different persons. So I wouldn't afraid that ISI works on content.
    What I'm afraid is that they working on content before gfx engine is finished. It will require a lot of additional work on models after engine will be turned into something better. It's not my bussines, but we all know how much it may costs. At the end is it possible, some one will decide to not change gfx engine due to amount of work needed to upgrade all tracks and cars (including produced by community). Hope I'm wrong.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

dont forget the ISI graphics engine is not finished once the Gold release it made available, it is something that will be improved upon in the future for RF2 as ISI themselves have pretty much stated since Beta began.

Graphics IMO are just fine for the moment on my old card (upgrading very soon!), when I get my new one it will be like a whole new world has opened up so that'll suit me personally just fine until ISI delve into DX11 territory if they feel the need to do so.

I'm personally much more concerned about future Sound updates as that area needs a lot more work!

16. Zephyr RU

Zephyr RU Registered

we need DX11. recently GPU is tuned for DX11.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

If you answered my post, means you completely missed a my point.
    BTW: Don't you think that accepting gfx state only due to owning a weak gfx card has no sense?

Doesn't change anything at this stage until engine will be rebuilt. I'm not even sure you will get a few fps more.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

removed

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I was replying generally ;)
    as for the next bit, well to me it makes sense because I cant always afford the latest high end GPU cards when they first get released, I have to rely on a card lasting 4+ years (as my faithful 9600GT has done so now). So when you have a weak GPU card you kind of have to accept any graphics you're capable of, whether or not the game you're playing is of the highest standards...it makes no difference to you in the end!

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not everyone has the time, the ability or the need to spend time learning another language. The fact that so many people speak English to the degree they to is of great benefit to you and the rFactor community, please don't attack people for it.