Tires temperature and degradation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duif, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Duif

Duif Registered

This is my first post here, so i say hello to everybody here :)

I'm trying to understand what i can do to maximize tire life. I have a problem with front right tire at Laguna Seca, driving McLaren MP4-12C GT3 from Apex Mod.

No matter what kind of tire type i'm using, front right gets burned after about 10 laps. What can i change in set to minimize this behavior?

Thanks for reply.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Welcome!

1. drive so that less stress is put on the tire. Like at the Andretti Hairpin at the end of the straight, don't ride all the way around the inner curbing. Let your car drift out away from the inner curb and then sharpen your turn so that you spend less time actually turning.(squaring the corner) The heat is most likely from skidding. Then at turn6 and 7 the two left turns at the bottom and midpoint of the hill, use a late apex again. glide thru the corners.
    Approaching the corkscrew, finish all your braking before you begin the turn in. and the long left turn after the corkscrew....again make it a series of short angles rather than curbing it all the way around

Setup? soften your front, increase stiffness at the rear. Try and put a little more weight on the nose.
    In the old GPL days, if you wanted to affect your right front corner, you'd change the left rear, in this case adding rear spring and increasing the rear sway/arb strength

3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Soften the front damper compression a little. Gives a little more time for the tire to react under braking and turn-in.

Play with tire pressures. In the real world lowering pressure will typically build more heat (sidewall flex) while giving a larger contact zone, but in rF2 world it tends to reduce heat with a larger contact patch.

Brake balance will affect handling a bit and everyone tends to be a bit different in brake setup needs. If the brakes are biased a bit too much to the front the fronts wear quickly. Too much to the rear and the car spins quickly. Use the Anti-lock braking to see if front tires last longer, if they do than bias a little more to the rear.