Tire Temperature

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Rik, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Rik

Rik Registered

how can I get a correct temperature across all the tire?
    I tried with the pressure, I have tried with the camber, I have tried with the suspension. The central part of the tire always has higher temperature.
    Look this video, yes i know it is f1 car but look

this rules for me:

Center hotter than edges Tire pressure too high. Reduce 1 psi for each 5° F delta
    It is wrong?

Thanks in advance

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It's not only F1 tyres, it's also not slicks and those older F1 tyres had massively stiff tyre walls. Regular tyres are much more like baloons and flex, twist and compress. Even modern F1 tyres have much variation across them and wether going straight or cornering - typicaly inner would get hottest due to camber.

I'm not saying that ISI nailed it or that it's easy to manage tyres, but you should not use this for reference in general.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

But if your center is too hot reduce toe-in, increase negative camber and decrease pressure - much more than 1 psi since you are proberly not running a F1 car with massive downforce. Also, F1 tyres are filled with nitrogen and not air, which means that the pressure is not effected by internal temperature of the tyre - air is!

So typically you'd have to start with "under pressured" tyres and then after 5-6 laps temps and pressure would stabilize.

4. Rik

Rik Registered

Thanks Wizper ;)
    with the tire pressure to the minimum I have +/- 10 degrees more in the middle with all type of camber. from -2,5 to 0.
    I will try with toe-in.
    But I have noticed that increase or decrease pressure does not change anything
    so for me it is difficult to know what pressure the tires should have. Now my test are on Corvette C6.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If you go too low you'll increase the contact patch alot and cause more friction. Also there is a difference in rf2 between surface temp. and rubber temp. - most important thing is to be able to keep all temps below about 110c (which is almost impossible when cornering) as your wear will increase rapidly...

6. Rik

Rik Registered

ok but if I have ever in the central +/-10 degrees higher. with all types of pressure and camber. how do I figure out which is the right pressure?
    toe-in is the solution?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  7. crz

crz Registered

Since there is a tyre contact patch update coming, I wouldn't care about those temps for now. You won't get it right with setup tweaks if the base is wrong.

8. Rik

Rik Registered

then you use the default setup?

9. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

ATM all I test is dependent variables as can't rely on independent variables until contact patch is completed. So I go by outcomes only such as what is faster and stint testing.

10. crz

crz Registered

Exaclty what I do too. I change camber, toe, pressure based on feel, laptime and tyre wear until we have a better contact patch.

11. Rik

Rik Registered

and how do you understand this? that you have better contact patch?
    Thanks in advance.

12. crz

crz Registered

I wait and see what the contact patch update will do. Obviously heat spreading seems wrong and tyre pressure doesn't have the effect it should. I expect this to be addressed at least but who knows, certainly not me. :) Tim said the update is required for the stock cars so I assume it comes soon(ish).

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

As many others mentioned and it is acknowledged by the team, there is - and has been - an issue with tire crowning with rF2.

14. Rik

Rik Registered

I hope that with the release of nascar car this problem is resolved. a nascar where you can not control the temperature of the tires it is better not to have it.

15. vict0r

vict0r Registered

I drive only Formula ISI and it seems nothing works to spread the temps. It's always the middle of the tyre getting hottest.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We're waiting for improvements to the contact patch, as per the knownissues file in your rF2 folder. Until then it won't be fixed (and we're assuming the contact patch changes will fix this - not sure that's been confirmed)

17. Rik

Rik Registered

yes we are waiting the contact patch like when you are waiting for the sun. Sorry i don't resist