Tips, settings for keyboard and (gamepad) players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Able 47, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

There is some interesting talk about playing sims with controller. Seems like GT sport is good for that.
    Making a good steering algorithm for controllers in rf2 would be interesting. I just don't know how much work that would be.

If rf2 would be as good to play with controller as GT, i probably would play that way also. Sometimes it's nice to just lie on sofa and move nothing else than fingers. I think there might be some market on pc for a game with very realistic physics an good controller implementation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

Well, how hard do you think it would be to add global grip multipliers, extra traction control levels etc. Btw, I was a fairly competent programmer (even invented some novel generalized collision detection algorithms), so yeah, they fucked up pretty bad if it's "effort" to consider some of that stuff, never mind implement it.

Otoh, maybe I should just tell everyone that rf2 is unplayable and go play GT sport.

3. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well, i'm not sure if adding grip would be the answer. I would prefer leaving the physics alone and come up with a algorithm that has effect on what the steering does

5. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

Adding grip wouldn't necessarily have to touch the physics. Consider the difference between street and race tires, or different track surfaces. It doesn't change the physics, it changes variables, thus mostly keeping the feel (as opposed to switching on AI help). As it is, I try not to get near a kerb or touching grass in rf2, because without fail, you can't recover from that.

Now, that's understandable in a racing sim, with a steering wheel, etc. But in terms of fun, a bit too restricting. This is why I suggested something like an arcade mode, as it has a far more forgiving psychological effect.

Yes, you could also have better steering smoothing, curve settings, differential analysis, etc.

6. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

Btw, go try play the game with the clio or civic or something on keyboard without assists on default settings, then just switch tire pressures to minimum. Try it.

See, I screwed with the physics there.

Did you know rfactor 2 has only 2 traction control levels? Low and high, 30 and 70% (iirc), apparently, for some cars, low is too high and high too low.

Btw, those traction control settings, if you're driving a datsun 280zx or something, reckon they reflect reality? That doesn't influence the physics right, I mean it only alters the throttle and such according to some algorithm that tries to reduce wheelspin.

7. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

I'm actually really good at rfactor 2, I set my competency level to like 125% and Im super aggressive. 'I' didn't even have to manually tap the keys.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If you can drive an oval or a track with wide-radius corners on keyboard without assists, then there's something wrong with your keyboard or an incredible lack of linearity, because you'd spin out due to the ON/OFF output.

Edit: On high-powered vehicles

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  9. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

Thanks for mentioning that, gotta tell you though, I'm not gonna be playing rfactor 2 to drive on oval tracks. Lienz, Monaco, Mugello, Spa, etc, sure, but an oval track? ROFL.

Reminder:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/400330

10. Able 47

Able 47 Registered

On the plus side, the game runs really well on my 6-7 year old quad core i5, gtx 460. I'm not picky about graphics though, which means the game probably doesn't look so great currently.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who actually plays rf2, so I guess, I mean, maybe I'll remember to try it in 5 years from now when the mod scene isn't quite what rf's mod scene was?

Clever design decisions there btw.

Cheers, it was interesting ranting a bit. Love your "community", btw.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

I'd go as far as to say that in general, unless you know many hardcore sim racers (the likes that have their own racing rig set up in their house), you probably wouldn't know of rF2. And there's no problem with that. rF2 was never meant to be a racing game for the masses. You can read this from many ISI interviews that their vision never was to make it a game for everyone, and I bet S397's focus is similar. rF2 does have some assists, however, it doesn't mean its development has been particularly focused on the gamepad experience. You are simply trying to make rF2 something it isn't. iRacing even goes as far as not allowing gamepad users at all, and it's still considered a great sim.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Keyboard steering in rF2 isn't on/off, it ramps up the steering as you keep it pressed, and ramps back down when you release. It only flicks back to centre when you steer the other way, as many keyboard-targeted games do. Digital inputs are why there's a 'steering rate' setting that wheel owners often try adjusting in the mistaken belief it'll affect their wheel input in some way.

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Just a thought maybe the plugins guys could make an app for your phone that acts like a wheel. Rotate to steer tilt forward for accelerator tilt back to brake tap the screen to change gears.:confused:

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Plugins can't directly influence car controls.

Yep, I answered your post straight. :p

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Skooled ..I dont know anything about plugins but maybe something S397 can look at.:D

16. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Years ago I was disappointed because I wasn't able to drive rf1 out of the box with a keyboard. Then I noticed that rf wasn't the same like nfs u1.
    I bought a wheel and damn... It was great.
    I can't imagine how hard it is to play rf1 with keys. Respect ;)

Nibiru likes this.