[REL] TinyPedal - open source overlay APP for rF2 (Radar,Pedal,FFB,Deltabest,Relative,Fuel calculator)

Discussion in 'Other' started by svictor, Mar 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

So you're trying to keep 240 fps all the time? It's a good idea to limit the fps or set the gsync to a value that you know your PC can keep in the worst conditions possible, like rain plus 40 cars at night.

I should say limit to 144 fps can be a option, will help to improve the stability feeling, less tearing and stuttering.

"Max Framerate" in player.json.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    coasting&cruising likes this.
  2. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

Yes, I have G Sync enabled and rF2 limited to 240 FPS in the player.json. Normally I have a stable 200 FPS in normal conditions on a new circuit with the updated PBRs, with this app it drops to around 180. On older circuits I can keep 240 with no problems. I haven't tested in the rain, but it doesn't worry me because obviously I already know that I'm going to lose performance and there aren't that many races that I normally run in the rain.

It's not that I have stuttering or tearing problems, Gsync solves that for me, it's just that the feeling of going above 200 FPS is much better, everything runs smoother and my eyes don't get too tired.

3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Interesting, I feel the lack of smoothness when i compare 60 fps to 120/144fps, but I don't have the equipment to reach the 200 fps and feel the difference.

4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I think it's a misunderstanding, as far as I know rFactor2 doesn't have this option, the option that exists is about pausing the game on lost focus.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/fps-drop-after-1-2-laps.61989/#post-972066

5. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

It is more noticeable when you come from a 60hz monitor and go to a 144hz one, but from 144 to 240hz it is also noticeable.

I finally assumed that it would be that option, but it is not very useful for me either, because it works in single player, in multiplayer there is no such pause when the focus is lost. Anyway as svictor said if you click on the screen once you have returned to rF2 after configuring widgets it is solved.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    ebeninca and Rui Santos like this.
  6. svictor

svictor Registered

The "auto speed reduction" option do exist, it is called "Inactive Sleep Time" in player.JSON
    Code:
        "Inactive Sleep Time":-1,
        "Inactive Sleep Time#":"Number of milliseconds to sleep each message loop if the game is not the active application (-1 to disable).  will give more CPU to other apps when minimized, etc.",
    It will effect game performance if window is not focused. In the early days this option is enabled by default, and it was one of the commonly seen issue a few years ago as many racers reported that when they got a popup window during multiplayer races the game would go into low fps/slow motion due to this setting.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    makan, Capeta and ebeninca like this.
  7. Matlorc

Matlorc Registered

@svictor are you planning to add radar/helicopter?
    the radar is the only reason why I'm still using simhub

8. atomed

atomed Member

Did you manage to get that working? I tried but failed.

9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

maybe i was wrong because it is no simhub overlay. CC works with simhub overlays in VR

atomed likes this.
  10. atomed

atomed Member

I see, anyhow I never could make that feature of CC work.

11. svictor

svictor Registered

Probably, there are several ideas on todo list including:
    1. better setting handling
    2. class position and pit info for relative
    3. radar and probably a few more widgets

@thoraxe is also planning to add session / lap info

Those would require a lot developing time. Currently I have not time to work on them, as the work on isle of man is likely to take another month or two.

ebeninca, Corti, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

This app is very very good, Sir :) Thank you

13. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.1.6 update - better setting validating
    Edit: see v1.1.7 update instead.

This update replaces old setting validating with a new set of algorithm. Invalid setting keys will no longer have entire config.json file reverted back to default. And this new validating method will benefit future updates significantly, user will no longer have to worry about losing old settings if a new version introduces new widgets or features.

Due to major changes to setting handling, it is now recommended to quit APP before manually editing or saving JSON file, in order to avoid losing changes. (Any changes to widget position, or has toggled widget visibility, auto hide, lock overlay from tray icon will trigger auto-saving feature.)

Full changelog:
    TinyPedal 1.1.6 (2022-04-16)
    ----------------------------
    * Core
    - New algorithm for handling setting validating.
    - Each widget setting is now separately validated.
    - Invalid & missing setting keys are removed or added individually,
    which helps for keeping valid widget setting untouched,
    and will benefit any future updates greatly.
    - Due to this new validating method, it is now recommended to exit APP
    before manually saving changes to JSON file.

* Misc
    - Updated document files to reflect the new changes to setting validating.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  14. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.1.7 bugfix
    DL: https://github.com/s-victor/TinyPedal/releases/tag/v1.1.7
    This is a quick fix for a variable name typo found in relative widget (I forgot to update variable name that has changed in new setting code), which caused vehicle class not shown. Now it should function correctly.

Please lemme know if there is any issue, thanks.

Corti, atomed, FuNK! and 1 other person like this.
  15. zaheer

zaheer Registered

Hi, thank you for this neat application. Just stated playing this game and this was much needed.
    Please advise, when I disable the app from the tray it disaapears. Where has it gone and how do I find it again?

16. svictor

svictor Registered

Check tray icon menu see if the app is hidden, as windows sometimes will hide tray icon. Also the app has auto hide feature enabled by default, that means overlay stays hidden until you are on the track. You can disable auto hide from tray menu, see first post instructions. If the app is closed (no tray icon found), then you will have to run the app again. hope helps.

PS: make sure to avoid running the app multiple times at same time, it's best to check tray icon before running the app again.

17. zaheer

zaheer Registered

Thank you mate for your super fast response. Yeah, the app disappears from tray, when disabled, so I created a shortcut icon from the root file and pinned it - this enables to app to launce again, and then it reappears. So all sorted.
    One more question, the delta app covers best time, is there a way to do just the session? Thanks

18. svictor

svictor Registered

Happy to help.

I don't quite understand your new question. If you mean that you wish to start a new delta best for each new session, you can manually delete the deltabest CSV file in the deltabest folder of this APP, and it will reset & record a new deltabest for the new session. (make sure you are in garage screen before deleting CSV file)

19. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.1.8 update - Driver's position standing in class & pit status
    upload_2022-4-17_15-32-29.png

DL: https://github.com/s-victor/TinyPedal/releases/tag/v1.1.8

The long awaited "position in class" feature is now finally here, along with pit status info!

The new reworked Relative Widget is now highly customizable with many new options, especially if you like minimalistic look.
    Each info column display order can also be re-arranged to suit your need.

Please check out customization guide for details:
    https://github.com/s-victor/TinyPedal/wiki#relative

Enjoy!

TinyPedal 1.1.8 (2022-04-17)
    ----------------------------
    * Relative
    - [New]Show driver's position standing in class.
    - [New]Show pit status indicator whether driver is currently in pit, with customizable pit status text.
    - [New]Customizable column info display order.
    - "bar_driver_name_width" setting now trims out range chars.
    - Removed unnecessary laptime formatting, added string length slicing

* Core
    - [New]Add new "veh_class_info_list" algorithm to calculate position in class.
    - Moved place & class info to "veh_class_info_list".
    - Various code clean up.

* Misc
    - Updated customization guide with new configurable setting.
    - Updated features list.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  20. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Thank you, amazing job.

svictor likes this.