Time it takes loading a track

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Timpie Claessens, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Hi everyone

Will this be optimized or improved later on? The way you join an online server seems to be same exact way as rFactor 1 did it which takes a ton of time to load.

The tracks already take +/-60s to load when theres around 15 drivers (the end of the loading bar is obviously the cars that are loading) but once you get in the server it has to load every single car again.
    And while it's doing this you can't do anything else like for example start loading up the setup etc.

This all together takes like way too much time imho. No idea if it can be improved but I sure hope so :)

2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah. Even with 10 AI the load times are pretty slugggish. It's almost like the texture caching that happens in rF1 isn't working...

3. Radar

Radar Registered

I seriously doubt you will find load times improving too much as the quality of tracks are improving also..

Use a converted track from rF1 over a proper made rF2 track as an example. You are looking at approx 50-60mb for the rF1 converted track to approx 100mb or more for an rF2 track. A lot of that will be the added features of rF2 with slightly bigger GMT files and more textures due to higher quality models..

Personally, waiting an extra min or two to load an rF2 track doesn't bother me. I'd rather quality over load times any day.

4. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I know Radar, its terrible with big rf2 tracks hence why I made this thread.
    I don't mind a loading time but +1min is really too much imho, and it's not that I'm running a 5y old pc or anything.

Comparisons don't always work (especially since i'm now comparing to another games tech preview) but a track in AC loads in about 10s. I consciencely picked AC and not iR because iRacing is already a 5-6y old game. rF2 just like AC are titles still in development so there should be some room for improvement I guess.

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Load time is totally secondary but it's still odd... I got a SSD hard disk and still takes long time to load any track. Maybe it's something related to real road?