Tiger Moth Aerodrome 1.02 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Has anyone hit the big plane on the pit entry because they missed the turn? I have been close many times :D

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

They look more like plastic barriers then concrete ones, which makes it even more annoying :D Soft body physics plz! :p

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol, yeah cause they're plastic means they should be light, lol.

In real life those things are filled with water or sand which make them very heavy.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Take a tour around the track and look at the barriers up close. Nothing plastic about them, so much cool detail actually.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup. One time in real life I was using a little dandelion flower as my brake marker for a corner.

Seeing/noticing small details in-game is one of the first things I noticed when moving to a much lower and realistic FOV. Arcade-FOV players don't know what they're missing :)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

THere are barriers which look like them which are plastic. Imagine if these were like hay bales in terms of physics, but instead of individual they were attached to each other, I bet it isn't possible yet though. :)

7. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Hi Tuttle,

Could you maybe speak for yourself a bit more and give us your opinion about where you see the biggest room for improvement in Rf2 at its current state of development, graphics-wise?

Thanks for the enormous efforts you guys are putting in!

Greets,

R.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Tuttle, is the "default" weather for each track setup by you guys according to each track's date and location (latitude & longitude) setting, or is it automatically generated by the sim based on each track's date and location setting?

Having the ability to change the track's date/DOY (day of year) would be AMAZING. We already have the ability to adjust real road presets, TOD (time of day [24hrs]), and weather. Adding the DOY to that list would be amazing. It would just make the sim even more alive and dynamic.

It would probably have to be connected to weather though. For example. If I leave the weather to the specific track's default, then that default weather should change based on the DOY I set. Having to manually change the weather to what you think conditions should be like based on the DOY and location just wouldn't seem right. The entire system should be "connected" in true ISI-rF2 style :).

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It would be cool but there's a catch (a big one, I'd say). In Summer, grass like to be green (typically). Late Autumn, it will be more brownish. And trees (most of them) will be losing leaves already. And winter time is typically about snow.
    If you set 15th of December for a track made up with textures for June-July for a given place, it won't look correct. I don't know, if it's possible by game's engine to somehow (via internal image manipulation code) alter textures automatically to a degree, they will be good all year around (assuming typical seasonal conditions for a given place)?

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Exactly and this is the biggest contradiction for a option like that. Even the light would benefit for certain seasons the cons is a big one, especially for more extreme areas (Asia, North America, North EU etc..)... and honestly there already things more important to be done. Was just thinking aloud. ;)

11. Tuttle

I think a complex stuff like that may works just for a season, not for the entire year for the same reason Lazza was saying. But it is not a straight line, no. :)

About your first question, we decide the DOY (.gdb file) and the weather (.wet file). The Environment engine do the rest but there is not a direct connection between the DOY and the weather itself. We usually set the weather file using realistic values for the given DOY @ lat&lon.

12. Justy

Justy Registered

Well, still enjoying the track ISI (thankyou.. again ;) ). However, I think I found a problem with this large, square patch of concrete/tarmac/whatever it is, in the middle of the runway. It does not appear to get wet, even when the rest of the track is like a skating rink. The rooster tails and tyre tracks disappear on this part of the track and there is a noticeable increase in available grip on this patch; where, with all the painted lines and stuff, I would have expected it to be even more slippery.

This was the R1 layout if it makes any difference, although I'm assuming this will probably be the case for all layouts.

View attachment 14469

Cheers

13. Tuttle

that piece of concrete has been set to be very very slippery on wet so I need to investigate that issue. thanks for reporting.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Minor correction, believe you meant LesiU here. My only contribution to discussions is related to collisions ;)

15. Tuttle

Oops. :eek:

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Perfectly clear answer to my question. Thank you kindly :)

17. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Hi Tuttle,

You obviously missed this question before, so here we go again:)

Could you maybe speak for yourself a bit more and give us your opinion about where you see the biggest room for improvement in Rf2 at its current state of development, graphics-wise?

Thanks for the enormous efforts you guys are putting in!

Greets,

R.

18. Tuttle

Gjon and Tim already released a very good interview about what's cooking. About our own compartment there is still room for improvement, day after day, but I'm sure this is not the kind of reply you were expecting. :)

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have to admit, I'm a little disapointed about ISI stating in the interview that weather is not being looked at much at the moment. Dynamic weather, aquaplaning, track geometry affecting how much the water stands and builds up in different areas, etc. etc. That was supposed to be part of what makes rFactor 2 so "hardcore", all the technical details like that.

Physics, physics, physics.

I remember seeing the Marussia rain preview pic with so much spray it was blinding, just like in todays real-life Japanese grand prix. I was expecting that to be the beginning of a marvelous, dynamic, and complex wet wheather model. Then a couple builds later the spray got toned down and the wet wheather model just seemed to get more and more ignored every build :(

20. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I too was scratching my head after I read boxer's post since the sun doesn't rise as early as that in the south of England even on the longest day of the year, then I realised it's because you're using GMT and the actual timezone for there is BST.