Thrustmaster wheels users, do you regularly check if your firmware is up to date ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Jun 30, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Few weeks ago I felt uninterested and unimpressed by rf2. Then I updated the firmware of the TM and all was fine again. Any similar experiences?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

T500 here, I only 'check' or download when someone mentions on here that there is one. Don't think I've really noticed a difference with how the wheel feels, over the last 2-3 updates.

I was in one of the Tatuus servers earlier, for the first time, and the FFB felt quite strong but flat. Checked telemetry and found a lot of clipping, so put FFB mult back to 0.7 and that helped a lot - but then the FFB felt very weak. Jumped back on a bit later and it felt nice and strong again, and just did a race and all good.

Anything in particular you felt was different?

3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i never felt uninterested and unimpressed by rf2 playing with my T150 for almost 2 years
    when you have that feeling just reboot your computer because most of the times bugs and usb isuues sabotages the experience
    always remember to just reboot p.c
    if still problem i suggest reistall drivers (i did it a few times and solved issues) or report with every detail you can the problem here at the forum.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It was interesting, at first I always felt like devmode gave this experience, but later it also switched on in main game. I thought that it could have been associated with FFB clipping, or something similar, not sure.

FFB felt like it became noticeably more primitive. For example if car was oversteering then the FFB would give instant bold signal and start rotating into a slide, I felt like there was big lack in progression and build up of the force, it made the driving feel weird and actually boring and easier, because I could just think and concentrate less and just give FFB the job.

The rF2 that I love and now that I am happy to have back has progressive forces, nice natural buid up. It does work, but it doesn't feel like automated and scripted boring interaction. I love how in rF2 there is usually little clue just at the very beginning of slip, and then it builds up gradually as angle increases, I dislike when FFB works like if it is from the future lol and gives signals before it seems to be a right time for them, breaks my immersion when self aligning torque already seems to be so large even so rear wheels probably are just barelly exceeding their peak slip angle (especially when those are modern tires with low optimum slip angle), I'd call that FFB from the future lol

It is all feel though, would be interesting to find way to put it out through figures, I suppose your plugin with Motec would help for example

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I had slightly similar feel to that with the default clipping in the Tatuus cars. The normal cornering forces were predictably featureless, but the correcting forces with oversteer on the way out (after the force had dropped) were very helpful. Mind you, it wasn't until I dropped the FFB Mult and went back in that I noticed how much less help I was getting in that scenario.

The unusually weak FFB at that time intrigues me. I'm pretty sure it was a real change from normal, but I had just done 5-10 mins with clipping forces so maybe the difference was just playing tricks on me.

Coming back in later, the forces felt normal again and I had what felt like a normal amount of correction force. Enough to signal what the car was doing, but not so much it was correcting itself. But I can't rule out the last two sessions actually having the same forces and I was just perceiving them differently (game FFB output was the same, the wheel itself could be the only variable - but I doubt a <10 min session of clipping would produce enough heat to make it self-limit and I didn't notice a drop at the time).

If your devmode had a different FFB level or some controller parameters that would make sense, but I don't know why updating the firmware would change things. Maybe some strange driver corruption that reset itself after the update?