Thrustmaster T500rs GT wheel issue

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by GTFREAK, Oct 2, 2012.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I have a couple of questions regarding this wheel.

I just purchased this wheel and it replaces my Fanatec CSW and BMW rim. Why, you ask? Because Fanatec decided it would be a great idea to go with cheap FFB motors. No thanks.

So let's get to my issues with this wheel straight away. I guess I'd say this isn't so much of an issue as it is a general question to the community that also owns this particular wheel.

I'd like to know if you experience this along with me. When I first unboxed the wheel, I noticed that there was sort of a notch feeling at center. Almost as if the belt has a high spot someplace. Is this felt by others? Does your wheel have the same sort of feeling at center and when rotating it certain degrees? I can feel this notch feeling about every 100 degrees of rotation or so. Anyone else feel the same thing?

Does it affect the FFB at all in games? This notch feeling at center is very pronounced when the wheel is centered and only fairly noticeable when turning the wheel every 100 degrees or so.

I haven't had the chance to drive with this wheel yet, so I am unable to form a more firm opinion. However, this notch feeling isn't exactly giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside about this wheel.

The other thing I don't like is the fact that the paddle shifters are stationary. Bad move imo. I'll learn to deal with this. Not a huge deal.

Anyone else have this "notch" thing I am experiencing?

2. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Its there but feels very light to me and I do not notice it when driving.

3. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I figured it wouldn't be very noticeable when driving. I'll have to test further to see if mine is worse.

4. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Is anyone else experiencing weird FFB effects when turning in rF2? The only way to describe it is that it feels like I am constantly running over tiny little rocks when turning. Is this normal? It's driving me nuts.

Also, if you look at the Pedal Plugin that displays your pedal movement and FFB clipping meter you can see that the FFB is dancing up and down when turning instead of smooth movement. I know that the FFB needs to be very quick, but this is different. It gets worse the faster you go.

Only tested the Megane so far.

Anyone else getting this with this wheel? Feels very odd. Had the same issue with my CSW as well when turning. Almost felt like running over rocks or the tires were skipping or jumping rapidly when turning.

5. mikem

mikem Registered

Have you updated the firmware? I believe a few weeks ago Thrustmaster released the new firmware that improves the wheel's latency from 125Hz to 500Hz (of the framerate). I know this wouldn't solve what you're experiencing but it's worth trying the update.

I can't say that I'm getting what you're experiencing on my T500RS. What I do remember is that in the first week, the wheel did feel slightly tight and heavy. It might help if you play around with lowering the FFB- try this setting for example:

[​IMG]

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Is it possible that you flat spotted the tires before you noticed this going on? Flat spots are being handled by ffb now, and they do tend to be more pronounced when cornering.

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I can go out on a new set of tires and it still does it. Even without flat spotting.

The weird thing is that it seems to be only the Megane that is the most pronounced. The Nissan GTR and Formula ISI cars both give me similar feedback. All those cars seem very dead to me as far as FFB goes and they all tend to give me that weird FFB "noise" effect. That's the best way I can describe it.

I'm still going to have to do more testing, of course.

For what it's worth, I have my windows settings almost exactly as mentioned above, only I have periodic effects on 100%. However, setting this to 0% has no affect on what I am describing. I don't run with damper or spring %'s either. They are both 0. In game I have my FFB usually set to .85 with most cars.

8. Hugo Gonçalves

Hugo Gonçalves Registered

You can solve it? i own my t500 this week and i think have the same feeling...its like mini jumps when turning the wheel, and in megane in g25 i have the right feeling when car is oversteering and can correct it, but in t500 when i try correct it the car goes to strong to the other side...

any help is appreciated