Thrustmaster t500 with rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turfman666, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Why not save your old file, update and then use a text comparison website to see the differences in the new controller.ini file. Then copy across your old settings (which I'm interested in what you changed and why) then save the new + copied across settings of yours back into rf2.

2. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

The default for the new deadzone variable is off. I don't think anything else was changed or added to the controller.ini, so it should act the same.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

So what minimum steering torque would you recommend if I would use 60/100/100/0/0, multi between 0.55-0.7 and smoothing 0?

4. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

DrR1pper use 0.04 to minimise oscillations but I've tried 0.06 and it's not too bad (but too little time and I must try again).

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

atm I don't like the new steering torque minimum... too much oscillation in the middle so that I loose the feeling of what is happening there (tested with 60/100/100/0/0, multi 0.55-0.6). I get the best feeling with 100/100/100/0/0, multi between 0.33-0.4 and smoothing 0 (no minimum torque value). Maybe people who uses other cheaper wheels get more out of it.

6. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Same for me it would seem (with T500). I've tested the new setting a lot now and I just feel more comfortable without it. I prefer the feeling of 100% FFB in Game Controllers and a low muliti of around 0.3 - this 100% FFB strength setting (also recommended by DrR1pper) still removes some of the deadzone when compared to 60% strength and 0.7 multi, and I just have more confidence using it than I do with the new minimum torque setting. I felt like the minimum torque setting was simply adding some slight resistance (in those instances when the wheel sometimes goes 'light'), but it wasn't adding any extra feedback to the situation - I found I was more consistent and slightly faster without it.

I'm still having to use 3 smoothing though - if I use 0 the force effect when I hit a curb is simply too much for the other people in this house. And if I hit a curb really badly (or crash) I worry the house will fall down!! :eek: It's that violent.

7. triskele10

triskele10 Registered

Same for me, best settings till now.
    I also use this for all other games now.

8. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

+1

9. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Possibly I´m wrong but, I feel the steering torque minimun like a "canned" effect.

10. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, just bought the T500, which replace my G25. I really had hugh adapting problems with it, i could'nt feel the car as i used to with the old wheel.
    With the G25 the forces coming from caster had a lot more influence, something i miss a little bit with T500.
    The internal damping effect because of the usage of belts, seems to be no drawback, to me it provides the feeling to drive on rubber. Also effects coming from track surface or flat-spottet tires are well delivered.

I fiddled a little bit with settings.
    -For me "Constant" setting in driver seems to have almost no effect in rF2.
    -"Periodical" does have an hugh effect on forces coming from caster, but 100% seems to be still to low IMO.
    -"Spring" seems to have almost no ore very low influence, maybe a little more dynamic with increase of value.
    -"Damping" i also felt only very low to no difference in changes.

Sadly i could'nt find any description about this settings, nor in manual or Thrustmaster webside. Some further explanation would be appreciated. :)

For now i use: 60/100/100/0/0 in Driver, and about 0.7 in rF2. Mostly tested with MR01 at Poznan.

btw.: Thanks to DrR1pper for all his effort put in this thread.

Something i noticed, when i try to move the wheel very slowly, there is a little resistance, some sort off stick-slip. Maybe because of the belts touching the rim flanges, i can also hear it. So it's not such smooth-running like the G25. Hope this get's better with time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  11. triskele10

triskele10 Registered

We thank you for your choice of Thrustmaster products and for reaching us regarding your inquiry.

The four different settings located in the Gain Settings tab have the following purposes:

CONSTANT:
    A constant force will keep the same level in time. When a game decides to apply a force of x% of what the wheel can do, the "Constant" will keep that force at the same level.
    Example: A driving simulator game will usually use the constant force to simulate the G-Force. It will create a constant force at 0% but, depending on the speed and the wheel angle, the force will be increased accordingly.

PERIODIC:
    A periodic force will vary in time according to the type of periodic effect, amplitude and frequency. Because a periodic force includes an offset that has the same behavior as a constant force, some games will create a periodic force and merge an effect they would render for a constant force (like the G-Force) and a periodic effect (bumping road).
    Example: A periodic effect gives the shaking effect on the wheel. At high frequency, you will feel it rumble... but in some cases very low frequency are used to create crash effects where the wheel first turns fully to the left, then to the right and then to the left again, before stopping. Of course, that depends on what the game developers decide.

SPRING:
    A spring force is a force that increases according to how far you are from a specific position on the wheel. The basic spring force we could think of is a default spring center where the wheel goes back to its center position when you release it. But the force can be set to negative, which will make the wheel go further away from the center position.
    Example: Basic spring force where the wheel goes back to its center position.

DAMPER:
    A damper force controls how the wheel will react when it's moving. It is usually used as a (dynamic) friction or if you use it while the wheel gets back to its center position (spring effect), then it will behave like controlling the damping on a spring-mass system. A game will usually use the damper force in order to make it harder for the player to turn the wheel while in other circumstance make it feel like if it's very smooth and easy.
    Example: Controlling the force you need to apply on the wheel to rotate it.

The SPRING and DAMPER effects are what we call Dynamic Effects, because they rely on information which depends on the wheel (position for spring or speed for damper). The Dynamic Effects are those effects which benefit the most from hardware force-feedback implementation (compare to software) - like in the T500RS - because you want a fast response based on how the player will turn his wheel.

The CONSTANT and PERIODIC effects are what we call Static Effects. Once the game sets them, they act according to the parameters set or modified through time by the game regardless of how the user turns the wheel. The game might adjust them accordingly, but they are not linked directly to the wheel position, speed or acceleration."

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Which I believe is not necessary to produce artificially since it is apparently represented in the simulation. However, it is not configured to in order to avoid oscillation i guess.

I have already thought and also mentioned the desired option would cause oscillation. Simulated physics would be granted an oscillation have built up on the tire transmitted through the steering arms, which now probably either no longer filter or the clearance to the simulated steering column was reduced with that option, and the option in the plr designed this variable.

A real car does not transfer these very small oscillations to the steering wheel, a software behaves apparently sensitive, not least because there is no physical damping involved with the construction but only direct connections.

13. TJones

TJones Registered

Thank's for your explanation, finally something i can deal with. :)

14. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Guys, after look inside my T500, I have something quite interesting for you to improve your wheel: remove the little looseness (that exists) in the T500.

- First of all, we have reach the place which is the looseness:
    [​IMG]

- Red arrow is where it´s the problem:
    [​IMG]

- To fix it, is enough to put in two small wedges (one to each side) which we can get for example from a soda can, and we putting to totally remove the dead zone:
    [​IMG]

- It´s crucial we put them so strong, with high pressure, and finally I recommend to use a little of glue to fasten them.

After this, T500 has better precision and better minimum FFB effects.

Here in spanish: http://www.rfactor2motorsport.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=60&id=30605&Itemid=240

15. Tony

Tony Registered

Geeezus... I'm about to buy one of these beauties for 340 British pounds - & I've got to operate on it...?

aaaaaaargh..... maybeeee I'll stick with my worn out G27 :mad:

16. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

You certainly don't have to - I upgraded from a G25 and I'm perfectly happy with the wheel.

I am interested in exactly what difference this modifcation would make, but I'm not planning on doing it anytime soon - the wheel feels great as it is.

17. triskele10

triskele10 Registered

I have mine 1,5 year/1500hrs racing and only replaced the fan (with a better one), not because I had to but I wanted to do it.
    I don't have the above problem, jus checked when I see the pictures.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I understand it could remove some play in the wheel (if you have any) but can't see how it could reduce the ffb deadzone issue (i assume this is what your refering to when you say "minimum FFB effects") as ffb deadzone is a frictional problem in the gearing/belt transmission between the steering shaft to the motors.

Can you describe what the difference feels like with this mod please.

19. antgen

antgen Registered

The "problem" we're talking is about ffb deadzone, not real deadzone. You can check it in TM control panel when you move the wheel it detects even the slightest move.
    @Tony I upgraded from a g27 4 months ago and it's really worth. The biggest shock was when I'd visited a friends house and played with his g25, I couldn't believe the difference between the two(I sold my g27 few days before receiving the t500 and I couldn't do a straight comparison)

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

The problem with play in the mechanics, it adds a mechanical dead zone, for example it may leads in varying effects such as oscillation to inequalities between the drive and the counterforce also the belt drive does so when the motor starts but the belt itself first needs to tighten, even when changing direction power transmission loss exists, the more so in subtle effects.

I have only the 4 screws ( threadlockable on thread's ) of the main shaft tightened and the belt bias increased where the main belt on the motor unfortunately can not be tighten.

It really makes a difference on the overall feeling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014