Thrustmaster T500 v Fanatec CSW 2.5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by F1Aussie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi All, i have had a t500 for a couple of years now with a modded ferrari f1 rim. For a while i have been thinking about upgrading to a fanatec csw 2.5. For those in the know is there much difference between the two bases?
    On top of that would it be worth waiting for the podium series direct drive base? I don't need a mega strong base that will rip my arms off so not sure if i would need the power of a direct drive?
    All thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    F1A

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Have you watched this video about VR direct drive wheel for 399 usd with load cell pedals?:

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’ve tried both the wheels you mention and three dd wheels.

I would never pay the extra money for the v2 over my t300 let alone the t500,it’s just too much of a side step for me to justify the cost.

Also it’s too close to a dd wheel,to warrant that type of money on a belt drive wheel.

I’m personally considering becoming a early adopter of the vr dd wheel a pedal package,sounds like a good price to have a punt on something that stands to offer quite abit for the proce

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

no I haven't, haven't even heard of it.
    Thanks, I will check it out.

Ari Antero likes this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Interes
    interesting, I will have took at this thing. So it sounds like the v2.5 would not be a big improvement on the t500.

6. patchedupdemon

If you went from a g27 or similar to a v2 then the difference would be huge,but going from a t500,imho you would be left trying to justify the cost,the v2/v2.5 are good wheels and are better than the t500 but not double the price better,no where near that much better.
    Just a little more power and smoothness.
    I won’t upgrade until I can justify the cost of a dd wheel,as any belt drive wheel is just another side step from my t300.

Emery, bravotangosix and F1Aussie like this.
  7. Emery

Emery Registered

patchedupdemon pretty much sums up the difference. The materials in the Fanatec CSW line are mostly metal, which is a major step up, but the feeling of the FFB is in the same ballpark as Thrustmaster.

Yes, I think so. It will cost more than the CSWv2.5 base though, possibly enough to make you reconsider it as an option, but at this time we do not know the pricing. The strength of Fanatec is in their integration, so those of us with CSWs are more likely to stay within the Fanatec line.

Force to rip your arms off doesn't have to be used. It's like a stereo amplifier, in that you set it at a comfortable volume, but a powerful amp will be able to reach peak loudness without distorting that a less powerful amp will just turn to noise.

F1Aussie likes this.
  8. patchedupdemon

Forgot to mention the materials are superior with the v series,good point @Emery .

I’ve tried an osw,bodnor v2 and the accuforce,all within iracing,the only one I thought was worth it (if money wasn’t a consideration) was the accuforce and that was due to sim commander and not the power of the wheel itself,or the direct feel of the design.
    Sim commander allowed me to add and fine tune ffb effects,the rest just didn’t do it for me,yes they are great products,but the ffb feel very similar to my t300,all be it more direct,and powerful but also more dampened somehow,and why would they feel vastly different,they are all replaying iracing ffb,just with more fidelity.
    Sim commander and the accuforce was excellent but still way over priced for the gains in realism or ontrack advantages.
    Now I could just be a tight begger,but I’m more than happy with my t300 until dd wheels as a whole have had enough time and competition to become much lower priced.
    I may be singing a different tune if I tried those dd wheels in rf2 mind you,because of the higher physics/ffb rates,but at the time I couldn’t.

Still I think pedals are the most important device,and worth spending good money on,I have fond memories of my dfgt and fanatec v3 combo,I gained much more control and on track time by going the loadcel root over my upgrade from dfgt to t300.

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, will wait to see what the podium series brings and keep an eye on vr dd.
    Cheers