Thrustmaster t300 Recommended FFB MPs each car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Mar 16, 2015.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Can people who have the t300 post up your FFB multiplier settings for the cars you have tried.

I on the karts run 1.30 to make the wheel heavier... I am worried about burning out my wheel so just want to see what people run on theres.

cheers

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yeah, I don't think burning out your t300 motor is something you need to worried about. For starters, the electromagnetic coils are on the stator (outer stationary part of a motor) in brushless motors (which yours is if i recall correctly) so the heat generated from the electromagnetic coils dissipate far more easily and efficiently to the outside, allowing lower operating temps. Secondly, there are no brushes ofc in brushless motors, so no chance of a fault developing there (which some brushed motors in some ffb wheels have been known to break down very frequently, e.g. the CSR-Elite/CSW v1 range, whilst some have very good longevity, e.g. g25/27's, but maybe because they were run at a lower power which could increase brushes lifespan...not sure though...could also have just been better brushed motors used in their products). So there's no additional heat coming from brush-commutator contact (because there is non), which is a good thing ofc because heat is (usually) the limiting factor on how hard you can run a motor before torque loss from excess heat.

I'd be surprised if even at max torque, the motor would be at risk of burning out. I think all ffb wheels that have been known to have their motors burn out when run at their highest torque output constantly are brushed motors. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. But even if heat build is/were a problem for your t300, it's usually self-limiting/correcting as the heat increases the electrical resistance in the wiring/coil that in turn limits the power output from the motor. You'd have to really over-volt the motor to be concerned with damaging it. I'd be surprised if TM has not taken the necessary precautions to avoid damage to the motor with the highest available level of torque and power that can be achieved out of your wheel from the available game and tm profiler settings. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

the f2 feels really weak on steer force, but when I up it to around 1.30, when I go offroad the wheel goes crazy. So I reduced the offroad Mp,in ini. Anyone find this..? any suggestions.

is there a rack value I can set higher?

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Here is what I do (at the present time). Not claiming any expertise or knowledge of "what is realistic". I have a TX which I believe is the same motor.

In Thrustmaster control panel:
    Overall Strength 100%
    Constant gain 100%
    Periodic gain 100%
    Spring and damper 0%

Auto-center:
    by the game (recommended) 12%

I use the plugin to see the sim's force output. I run the rf2 gain high enough so that bar flashes red (satutates) for strong forces that last only say, a few tenths of a second. This usually happens due to a bump or curb impact. This higher setting allows me to sense more easily the low and medium forces that give valuable info while stressing the grip for longer durations. For 60's cars and the Lola this is between 1.2 and 1.3. Lately I'm using 1.2. And for these cars I use 400deg wheel rotation.

But honestly I do still experiment. For a long time I used 1.4 but got tired of working so hard against the FFB.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  5. msportdan

msportdan Banned

im gonna give that FFB guide a go with the min force setting and plugin..

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Cool. A few words of caution. It's been quite a while since i played rf2 and the files you need to change the "steering torque minimum" in may have changed (i.e. no longer in the controller.json file). When you come to change settings in there, do yourself a favour and go to the extreme end of settings/values to be sure that changing them does in fact do anything from there. If not, then report back here and someone can let you know the correct file to be looking at.

7. msportdan

msportdan Banned

okay I tried adjusting the steering torque min, in the controller ini, to no effect. But I installed theFFB plugin, and I upped the F2 ffb to 1.50. Whilst driving the yellow bar hardly went over half way, however when I hit the kerbs or went off road it bounced in and out of the red. Is this okay?

cheers.

with 1.50 I had much better weight in the wheel. :)

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If it's not going into the red when on track and racing under normal conditions then that's fine. If it goes red over bumps and off-track, that's fine. You want to keep it within the yellow for all normal driving/racing envelope/scenarios to maximum use of your motor's torque range to give you strong but also correct feedback where and when it's important (e.g. when on the track....bumps/kerbs not included since it's not fast to be driving over them unless only momentarily...when we do drive over them it's usually on the exit of corner when we're about to drive straight so there's really no loss of important information that will affect your driving there...it's really in the high speed high G corners were we do not want ffb clipping). Depending on the car you are driving, 1.50 may well be below the optimal range for that specific car you were driving. I honestly couldn't tell you myself since a) i've not been able to drive rf2 for yonks and b) even if it were one of the cars i have driven, the optimal ffb multiplier per car can change with updates (to both the individual cars and possibly rf2 builds).

Regarding the "steering torque minimum" value not affecting any change in game, try setting the value in your specific controller.json file (that you have saved and loaded each time in rf2...for example, mine is called "My T500 settings.json"). It's located in the ":\rFactor2\UserData\Controller" folder. Give that a try (to the extreme value again) and please let me know if it works when setting it there. I may need to update/edit the guide on that bit, your feedback would be appreciated. :)

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

10. msportdan

msportdan Banned

im not noticing any difference changing tourque minimum to my custom GTE settings :(

I have light wheels with the F" and the F3.5. The f1 car is a little lighter, the clio is nice about right. Not sure what to do the single seaters feel crap imo

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hmm. Did you try setting the "steering torque minimum" to "1.0" to test if if works in both json files?

12. msportdan

msportdan Banned

yeah..

My problem is if i set the single seaters to 1.50, when i go off road , all hell breaks loose with my wheel. yet the actual driving FFB feels fine. Is there a way to lower the offroad ffb for these cars only and not effect all the cars. Would setting the offroad multiplier to 0 give no ffb at all for off road?

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Last time I tried setting it to 0, when I was struggling with my noisy G27 before I got my new wheel, I still had feedback when going off road. Not a lot but still some.

14. msportdan

msportdan Banned

cheers hex :)

out of interest, dont you have problems with light wheels on the open wheelers?

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Does anyone know what is the correct file to set the "steering torque minimum" on?

One last thing msportdan, perhaps try reloading your controller file/profiler ingame. It might not have loaded the edits you made to the value.

16. msportdan

msportdan Banned

i did..

but surely ISI should fix these imo they dont feel half as good as the other cras, almost like therye on ice! theres no friction turning the wheel.. only when im doing a ton of speed do i get resistance. Like they have ultra power steering lol

17. TechAde

TechAde Registered

UserData\player\Controller.JSON.

However, if you then re-load one of the saved profiles it'll get overwritten with the value in the saved profile. Couple of options, edit the saved profile then reload it, or edit the saved profile _and_ Controller.JSON.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sweet! thanks Ade.

19. msportdan

msportdan Banned

but for the sake of the game cant they reduce the range, so low end doesnt feel so vague.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You can sort of already do that with the "steering torque sensitivity" (STS) setting. Setting it above 1 will produce a stronger force output for the low end forces from your wheel but at the cost of less definition between forces in the high end.

[​IMG]

If you can get the "steering torque minimum" to work however, you will be able to increase the strength of the low end of forces without causing or having to use so much non-linear response in the ffb range.

As you can see, with some steering torque minimum used, you can remove some of the initial deadzone that is partly the cause of the weakness in force definition in the low end without affecting the definition in the high end:

[​IMG]

It doesn't perfectly solve the low end issue (if you wheel suffers from it) but it can help and then with some STS to boot, perhaps you can increase the strength of the low end further without compromising the high end as much with just using STS.