This is the most 'rF2 like' onboard moment I've seen.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by green serpent, May 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I didn't think this warranted a thread in the general discussion so I thought I'd tuck my musings away here in "off-topic". Just nerding out here a bit so don't mind me.

I find myself in rF2 very often lifting off the throttle mid corner and tightening the line of the car. This effect is very dramatic in rF2, and although it makes perfect logical sense due to weight transfer, I would wonder why I almost never saw it displayed anywhere near as dramatically in real life than in the sim. I know it obviously happens all the time, but it just appears very subtle in real life compared to the exaggerated effect in rF2.

It could just be because I don't watch a lot of open wheel stuff, but I stumbled upon this video and instantly I thought man that looks like rF2 handling. The whole video is pretty rF2 like, with the very minimal steering lock getting the car around the corner and then leading to oversteer. But specifically this little split second where the car "tucks in" is so rF2 like. I was begining to think it was not a real life thing and it was only rF2 until this. It is exactly at the 3:20 mark.

atomed likes this.
  2. atomed

atomed Registered

It´s funny because I once asked Sebastian Job in one of his real life Formula Ford onboard videos if he tried the rF2 FF mod and what his opinion was. He told me he felt it was like racing on ice. I found it funny being him an avid iceracing fanboy himself.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Didn't Michael Schumacher have a quote about how turning relies almost as much on the throttle as the wheel?

4. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Yes it is oversteery, but if he thinks that thing is like racing on ice, than I should be a pro racing driver because I can push that thing VERY hard! ;)

atomed likes this.
  5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

"I tried it quite a while ago but when I did try it the car was simply way too oversteery and loose, almost like it was on ice! The real car is quite loose as it is but it was way exaggerated in rf2." was the exact quote I believe. Okay, maybe I do watch a bit more open wheel stuff than I'm letting on :p

atomed likes this.
  6. atomed

atomed Registered

Lol it's never too much.

7. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

My contribution to driving with the throttle, barely moving the steering, Skippy at roller-coaster Ahvenisto.

green serpent and atomed like this.
  8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, there you go ;)

9. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Man I love these kinds of old school videos, better than all the super slick productions of today I reckon!

Nieubermesch likes this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Looks perfectly expected behaviour for such car while being driven in anger. The car is non-downforce, has skinny tires, it should be a way to go with car like that to some extent. To some extent every car could do that, but it is all about parameters - how sensitive is aero, what the amplitude and frequency of grip, obviously the sharper and bigger it goes - the more skill it will require, everything will happen quicker and more dramatically typically with higher performance, not always the case in simulations, most often just a matter of cars physics parameters, most sims these days are capable to replicate fundamental dynamics like that, but when it goes down deep to subtle details rF2 has most juice which isn't always squeezed out.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, I happened to come across that right after watching the thread. I'm a youngster but it brought me back to some older games I played before when I was a kid, probably because it contained some instructional videos of that kind. I felt quite nostalgic at least.

green serpent likes this.