Third-party Palatov D4 (Hillclimb AWD) Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 13, 2015.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

For me the Launcher Downloads working too. No Problems.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Very light weight and short axle distance from front to rear. So yes such a car could be well a grip monster, and that feels fine for me, apart from the steering dynamics and how the car reacts on the inputs, the again are way to dominant in self alignment, the more while cornering, which feels quite odd again.

Riding trough the corner by self alignment senses, to low drag and lateral load sensed at the steering.

The rf2 cars are simply don't transmit the car leaning on the loaded side, but the alignment resistors.

Quite unnatural feeling and behaviour imho.

Otherwise nice little thing with low poly looking cockpit.

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Compared to what?

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

Flights ;)

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have never driven a real D4, but the steering through corners feels exactly as I would expect a car like this to feel. I have driven high performance go-karts and I have driven lower-level open wheelers with minimal aero. This car feels like a cross between those.

I agree with your general points about the rough transition between grip and sliding in rF2. But besides that same issue, this car feels as close to realistic to me as any car in rF2.

The steering heavy weight and self-alignment feels exactly like a kart or even a real Skippy. Your arms are sore after half an hour of pushing a Skippy to the limits on a real track. I am glad we have a manual steering car in rF2 that doesn't feel like it has power steering in the sim. We can thank Palatov and Slow Motion for insisting that it be kept as realistic as possible. Of course since it's a sim, anyone can feel free to turn it down if they personally prefer something with an artificially lighter steering feel.

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

if rf2 transition b/w grip & sliding is 'rough', what is other sims? (ie, would you agree rf2 does this as well as anyone?)

iracing for example, youre rarely allowed any transition, its simply grip -- correct instantly or go into an uncontrollable slide.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I could be wrong but if you auto-download through the launcher, and need to re-install rf2, that content will be lost? it doesn't stick does it? (or did they fix this?)
    I download manually to avoid this, don't want to have to get everything again if/when I need to reinstall.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thank you for your opinion and adult behave.

I'll leave it there. Ignore or use it to improve, it is up to the responsibles.

Appologies in advance, i'm simply unable to use soft gramma.

But i'm talking about bits, to be clear, and if i would have to rate driving simulators for consumer, rf2 would lead as the most advanced with the highest potential, but talking about steering load and main forces and there balance Reiza leads in my opinion.

The thing is that a standard driver never will touch my experience of diff cars and there steering dynamics, because while those may have used a handfull cars in there lifetime while i'm at the hundreds of different of diff eras, from low to high performance cars, and i'm still doing and my life will hopefully will let me do this for the next decades, till i die.

So how ignorant anybody must be, not to give credit to people the have much greater bandwidth of experience in real life.

Don't start silly attacks please, such as, the common arguments of, but did you know that exact car or something similar. Steering dynamics simply isn't as rf2 represents at the current state at all.

Again bits i'm talking about. So no reason to feel offended.

I just don't set rf2 dynamics on top of the list, that leads Reiza in relation to the steering dynamics.

And ofc it all is my supjective but honest opinion. ;)

Back into silence ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

None do it as well. Just trying to help rF2 be even better. The next build with the full version of the new contact patch may solve this. If not, I hope ISI will look at it. That's all. It's not a huge issue because other than perhaps an AC 427 Cobra, you aren't tipping over that edge so regularly :) Of course, the goal is to never do it...

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Says who? :) :)

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Basically other sims aren't and shouldn't be the yardstick but the reality, but let me do a mistake for this one time and tell you what rests in my mind from the past, iRacing was the worst of all in this particular case, but i mentioned this already, it was aprox 3 years ago. So nothing actual and no reason to feel offended, it also had a lot of great features otherwise.

Howsoever, one thing about the point of mine and what comes into my mind when i go by what i sense on the steering wheel in rf2 as addition is, that i have the impression that the carcase is to stiff or the air density not optimal in it's effect.

Why is that ? Because i can't feel the carcase under load working, no matter the tire, but i can feel a massive load on the patch with the lowest air pressure the extremly increases friction but doesn't change anything to the better other than to minimize the roughness a bit, but that can't be ok that as for example street tires start to use the full patch as it seems ( what wouldn't be the case in reality ) at the lowest air pressure but still don't let you feel the flat carcase.

At this point there must be a high resistance and a very stiff steering, the would let you feel the carcase twisting and the car wouldn't follow the direction of travel as exact as in rf2 anymore, apart from the cornering performance the would be terrible, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

So i have the feeling that it isn't the patch alone, altough i don't know where the ffb is grabbed from but the carcase isn't in the mix, at least don't works optimal.

If i'm right and it has something to do with what i guess, than it is no wonder that the forces at the steering wheel are a mess and just transmit self alignment from something like full rubbers.

Anyway we are talking about tires, and am not sure if this was the right thread for. :rolleyes:

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope...

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

Shame on me. :)

Sorry Mr. Palatov but it is more presented in light weight cars where the punch of the weight isn't there, what let feel the tires more like full rubber tires. Logical it would be, the less weight the more the carcase resists if all kind of tires share the same issue.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

I haven't quite been able to understand the postings here, my apologies for that. What I do notice is that when I bring up the contact patch display (Alt =, IIRC), I notice the inside front don't lift a huge amount when cornering, and there seems to be very little camber needed from the fronts. Default is 0 degrees iirc?
    Was it in the Palatov tease thread where it was mentioned that it has a rather unusual front suspension design that keeps the tyre down on the road rather than lifting it up like most cars seem to.

Would that have anything to do with the feeling of the car/tyres? Apart from it being quite a go kart like steering angle and responsiveness.

15. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Don't know if it was reported, but heat haze on front grills of the car brings down the FPS a lot, in y case from 60 to 20, as soons as I press throttle and it appears on screen.. I turned that effect completely off in player.json and now it's fine. Don't know if thats the game's problem or car's.

Somebody also mentioned low textured cockpit, I hope something would be done in that area too, the gear digit alone brings that up..

Also, can someone tell what is the option below Steering Lock (540) in car's setup? There is some option to change percentage, by default is 20%, but it doesn't have any name beside it to know what it is.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

To bad that you couldn't decrypt my messages, but let me use your message as addition to it.

Yes ofc that only would add to it. The more lightweight, the more stiff the susspension and the more the steering overdrives mechanically, the worse this tires and dynamics will feel imho.

17. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

I like the car, thing is fun to drive. That's all

18. redapg

redapg Registered

It's the setting for the Pump of the Differential. Seems as if the entry got lost in the UI. :)

When i use the 910 UI, it is shown.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Finally got to try it. Very fun car imo. Looks good too (except I'm not the biggest fan of cockpit, but not sure if it just represents the real one accurately). Sounds are little low but otherwise ok.

Grip and downforece are huge as others have said. First I tried with rear wing 5 which wasn't slipping almost at all. Then 4 which was already little more tricky. I don't mind if a car has huge grip and downfore if it does in real life too, why would I. And besides, I haven't ever even got opportunity to drive such a car where I would lose grip as with most rf2 cars :D meaning that it matches my experiences better :D

Thanks Slow Motion and Palatov :)

ps. drove in Putnam park. Very good combo. AI drivers are really fast here. My best was 1:03.7

20. matf1

matf1 Registered

Am I the only one @ 24?