Third party mod editing

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by nultweezes, Jun 27, 2014.

1. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Hello fellow modders,

I'm new in this forum and I hope you guys could help me a bit, and that I can help you guys out in the future.

I want to edit a third party mod, but when I unpack a car mas file from the installed folder, edit a value in the hdv, upgrade file, sound file or anything else, and repack the mas file, the car won't load in the game.
    I don't know what i'm doing wrong, because I did the same on a different mod and it worked. I also edited mods in rf1 so I know a bit how it all works.
    Could it be that the mod is protected from editing? I didn't get any error or anything.
    I don't have permission from the original creator, but it's for personal use only. And when I release it, I will ask permission so that won't be a problem, will it?

I hope someone knows the answer.

Thanks in advance,

2. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

repack with the same version number? try updating the version number also. if nothing, it will help sorting which version is yours.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can't simply repack the MAS file because repacking the mas file will cause the hash of the file to change and it will no longer match the hash that is stored in the MFT file so it will no longer load. You will need to repack the rfcmp with a new name or version number and then install this new rfcmp. The easiest way to repack the rfcmp is with my Component Builder tool. Once you have my tool installed, you simply edit the HDV and then update the original MAS file like you already did. But then you double click on the MFT file and it will open up in my tool. In my tool you then give the component a new name or just increment the version number and then click the Package button and it will spit out a new rfcmp file in the same folder as the MFT file. From there you can move the rfcmp into your packages folder and install it.

You can download my tool here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19023-Component-Builder?p=259911&viewfull=1#post259911

4. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, I think I got it now.
    But as always if you get an answer, more questions pop up.
    I try to add turbo sounds to an n/a mod. Just as a test I copied turbo sounds from another mod, and copied turbo the lines from the sfx file.
    When I install the update with those file the car shows up, no problems what so ever but I hear no difference.
    Can someone maybe explain what these lines mean:
    //TurboWhineRPMRangeInside=(18000,143000) // volume and pitch both ramp up between these RPM points
    //TurboWhineLoadVolInside=(0.3,0.85,0.25,1.0) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboHissRPMRangeInside=(8000,123000) // volume ramps up between these RPM points
    //TurboHissLoadVolInside=(0.2,0.85,0.35,1.0) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboDumpVelocitiesInside=(0.06,0.11,0.15) // thresholds between dump samples (NOTE: magnitudes depend on vehicle)
    Do I take the rpm from the engine, or from the turbine of the turbocharger?

5. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Hey guys,
    I really appreciate your help!
    Now the car shows fine, but as always when you get an answer, new questions pop up :p.
    I want to add a turbo to an naturally aspirated mod. I know how to do it with boost etc, but i'm having difficulties with the sounds.

I thought that if I added the ///Turbo lines to from a turbo mod to the sfx file, and put the correct sound files in the mas it should work, but unfortunately it doesn't.
    Do you know if this is possible?
    And I want to know if someone knows what these lines mean:
    TurboWhineRPMRangeOutside=(8000,103000) // volume and pitch both ramp up between these RPM points
    TurboWhineLoadVolOutside=(0.5,0.75,0.45,0.9) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    TurboHissRPMRangeOutside=(8000,103000) // volume ramps up between these RPM points
    TurboHissLoadVolOutside=(0.5,0.75,0.35,1.0) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    TurboDumpVelocitiesOutside=(0.06,0.09,0.12) // thresholds between dump samples (NOTE: magnitudes depend on vehicle)

I think I know what they are, but do I take the rpm from the engine, or the turbine of the turbo?
    Because the mod I put it on has a redline of 7000, and than you won't hear it ofcourse.

Thnx in advance!

6. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Hey guys thanks for the help, thanks to you i got it working in-game now.
    But I want to add a turbo from another mod to a naturally aspirated mod.
    I know how to do the physics part, but I have some difficulties doing the sound part.
    If I add the turbo lines from the sfx file to my mod, and add to correct sounds to the sound mas, it should work, shouldn't it?

Well I did exactly that, and the car runs fine, but I hear no turbo.
    Anyone who knows what i'm doing wrong?
    Your help is really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  7. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Seems I got another problem.
    My mod has 450hp and max torque of 550Nm, but even with clutch and baulktorque at 1500 (!) the clutch still slips.
    Is there another entry I need to look at? It's not the clutch of my wheel since i have no problems with other mods.