The sunglass-style Wrap™ 1200VR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Almiron, Jan 11, 2013.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well well well, think I made a huge mistake in the past when classified Oculus Rift as a forthcoming piece of crap based solely on it's screen resolution. Now that I've read more about it and watched few videos I've turned into a true believer! :) Still wondering how good or bad 1280x800 could look with such a high field of view (>90 horizontal and >110 vertical). But other than that it looks really promising! (on the other hand lower resolution gives more FPS and there has also been some discussion that screen resolution may be increased for the consumer version)

I have this very strong feeling that Palmer Luckey is just the right man to take us gamers into the next level of gaming experience. It seems that he really understands gaming as at least they are talking about trying to find lowest latency displays possible, 1000 Hz sampling rate for the head tracking system, etc. It will be very interesting to see what the outcome will be and it looks like we consumers could get our version within a year or so. Don't want to create hype but personally I'm pretty thrilled right now. :)

Don't know if ISI has ordered developer version yet. In their place I would order one right now and start to tweak graphics engine towards the experience shown in video on post:

Some visual effects that I would like to see

EDIT: By graphics tweaks I mean head and visor movements and how the visor looks (pretty realistic but still not too distractive).

EDIT2: And by head movement I mean the movement caused by head tracking device - not the terrible high frequency vibration that hurts my eyes! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehehe, I can imagine the Occulus having an eccentric gear vibration motor to shake the hood to give you a feeling that you are experiencing all the vibrations of the car on the track including wind vibration. :)

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Hahah, yeah but 3 individual vibration motors for all axis of course! There should also be sprinkler system to spray water on to lenses of Oculus simulating rain and water sprays. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Next you'll be wanting wipers on the inside and a bug cannon to splat bugs on the screens ;)

5. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

im building 2400x1280 hmd with 100 fov. I will give more details+pics after it's ready.

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Interesting! What display are you using? I would like to upgrade the Oculus Rift Dev Kit with a higher res display.

7. Pauli Partanen

im trying with 3 1280x800 display (in portait mode). Only problem is weight (maybe 500g-600g)But I will tell results when it's ready. It's only 2d hmd, but idea is allmost same as with oculus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-VGA-Control-board-7inch-1280-800-N070ICG-IPS-Lcd-panel-/181032626604
    Im using this panel. If it's too heavy, I will only use one screen. Im quite sure that pre-order oculus has same panel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Wow! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Are you integrating head tracking to it? Probably not 3D and just one display?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  9. Pauli Partanen

I have trackir 5, so I defenetly use it. Doesn't even add any weight.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, quite sure this is the Oculus Rift display.

I follow these two lists and hope one of the higher res 7" panels will get available for an upgrade:
    http://vr.wikinet.org/wiki/Displays
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aq9rBQPRPlFHdHI3Rmg5aHhPRkwtOUM3MHFkeDF0akE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

11. Pauli Partanen

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

yes indeed, great source. It's already in my daily reading list.

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Some of the comments suggest that it would need 60 FPS with vsync on or otherwise the effect will fall apart. Well I really don't understand at all why vsync would be needed. Stereoscopic 3D is achieved with two different display units one for each eye so FPS or vsync has nothing to do with that. Game engine provides individual viewpoints and angles for each eye so again FPS or vsync don't matter. For fluidity vsync is good of course but can't see why for example unsynced and capped 180 FPS couldn't look as fluid too. Sure game engine has to produce two different images for every frame hence it will be twice as hard graphicswise so high framerates could be hard to achieve.

15. rwkeating

rwkeating Registered

The Oculus Rift does at least one main thing different than the others mentioned above (Wrap and Sony). Both of those give you the feeling of a screen 10 or 12 feet in front of you. That's great for watching a movie, but I've read the Oculus will have the image right in front of you so it will take up your entire field of view. That's exactly what all the other head mounted viewers (I've heard of) having been lacking.

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

When I woke up this morning the first thing on my mind was a question about how images are drawn for those two screens of Oculus. Guess I've been processing this issue while sleeping. :) I said at my previous post that vsync shouldn't be needed for 3D stereoscopic view but have to take it back.

I assume those two displays at Oculus are already synchronized with each other on hardware level (both displays use same refresh rate and are at same phase). But the question is how two images (one for each eye) are created and drawn to those two displays. If game engine sends the created image to one display at a time (for example first to left and then to right) then vsync is indeed needed so that 3D vision doesn't get distorted.

Vsync is really bad for racing sims because it causes massive input lag so we really need to be able to avoid using that with Oculus. Now if the game engine would combine those two different views into one image and that image is splitted into two different views on hardware level by Oculus then I believe it wouldn't need vsync anymore. Screen tearing would cause distortion to 3D vision but only at few horizontal lines so strongly believe it can't make the 3D effect go away. If game engine could produce 180 frames per second then screen would have 3 or 4 tearings and those lines would contain distorted 3D visions. If for example vertical resolution is 800 pixels then 3D vision is distorted by percentage of 0,4 ... 0,5 %. I doubt so minor distortion could break the 3D effect but on the other hand don't have any proof of it and it's all in my imagination. :)

So Postipate, Vittorio and others who have better knowledge of Oculus - do you guys know how those separate images are supposed to be created by game engine and how they are processed by Oculus?

EDIT: Hmm what was I thinking. There shouldn't be any 3D distortion if combined image is splitted on hardware level at Oculus and drawn simultaneously to both displays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

This thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15247 is a community attempt on making DIY Oculus Rift type HMD. I found it very interesting :)

So, based on discussion in that forum, I'm guessing that Oculus Rift is actually similar to using two (very small) monitors setup? EDIT: wrong, actually using one small monitor, plus two pocket loupe magnifier lenses.

Here's the complete version of the DIY HMD: http://bitcortex.com/oculus-libre-open-source-hmd-inspired-by-oculus-rift/ from the forum above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  18. Pauli Partanen

Only one screen and http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-side-by-side-3d/ this one. You can already make side by side image to almost any game with Tridef, so diy Oculus and Rfactor 2 should already work. I could make basic Oculus, if 3 screen setup is too heavy. Seems like it takes 2-3 weeks before all my screen are in Finland. Everything else is ready.

edit: I don't think Vsyng is necessary for oculus, but I could be wrong.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If they do it the way I think they do, then vsync would not be needed. I would think that the signal going to the screens would be a combination of signal from the system for normal 3D where you have a left and right image that are slightly off. In normal systems you wear shutter glasses so you only see 1 image and it is in 3D due to the shifted point of view of each frame. I would think that the Oculus would take the same approach but instead of 2 overlapping images, they separate the images and send one to the left eye and one to the right essentially like what the shutter glasses are doing. Your left eye will never have the ability to see what your right eye sees as it should have it's own image and not an overlapping one. If they use this technology then the only thing that vsync would do would be to smooth things out but not have any effect on the 3D aspect of it unless the signal itself gets messed up before it is split for each eye.

20. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

wow, looks so easy, but alone could not do mine. but I'm very anxious to see someone posting as managing and running with this is vr glasses