The Right FFB??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Interesting .
    What is the actual definition of FOR ? What is the difference between FF and FOR ?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

When i did that, only difference i noticed was that the amount of damping force compared to other forces decreased. Do you use damping? if you are using g27 you probably should set it to 0 from controller.json.

3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I have damping set to 0% in the logitech profiler. I will change it to 0 in the controller.json file also.

4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I feel like the hologram from the movie 'I Robot'. "Now that is the right question".

FF ana FOR in a Fanatec wheel! The short answer for me is 'I don't know'. And sometimes, that is the right answer, however, I am getting strange behavior when decreasing in game gain and increasing FOR.

For example I tried FOR at 150 from 130 in the Cobra and decreased gain down to 55 from 65 and the car is almost boring now it handles so well.

I went to AC with this new found FF knowledge and AC is even worse. And a few months ago I would have said AC was the only sim I could drive and everything else felt like a joke.

Now (for me) rF2 is the best, Dirt Rally is good and Pcars feels really good with this new understanding on FOR.

I could look up the definition of FF and FOR again but I don't get it.

One thing just came to mind, FF can control clipping and FOR does not have an effect.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Your point is, I think, is my problem with AC.

Missing FFB would feel like an icy slide.

6. Bozak

Bozak Registered

I have similar problem with AC which i find inferior to rF2.
    Since i got rF2 last year I can't play any other sim except Automobilista.
    rF2 has the best FFB, tyre model and physics which resembles a real car.

In AC I can't feel the tyres, it's like driving a hovercraft:)
    My OSW screams for rF2 which gets so much better with DD wheel, the others have small improvements.

peterchen and vegaguy5555 like this.
  7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Hover board! Can't feel the tires!

Those are good comparisons for me as well. I get a real bite and twist from the tires to my wheel when braking hard in rF2 that is 100% missing in AC.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    peterchen and Bozak like this.
  8. Bozak

Bozak Registered

I think it's our age and the experience that we have with real cars and hundred thousands of miles that the youngsters don't have and they prefer AC. Never felt right with AC.
    rF2 feels natural to drive.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I would agree that the FFB in AMS / rF2 feels a bit more natural but, I don't find it to be that different in AC and I can feel the tires / grip really well in general although, some of the road cars can be more challenging for sure and I suspect that's one reason why it enjoys the popularity it does; few other Sim-titles feature many road cars and AC is great from that stand-point.

Many players feel that the race-cars are just too boring in AC but, I feel there are multiple aspects contributing to that beyond FFB. I do feel that a DD-wheel offers some significant advantages with detection of the threshold of grip so it becomes easier to be consistent and maintain control but, "icy" is still a relative term at any rate.

Ernie and vegaguy5555 like this.
  10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Icy only at braking for me. AC has more traction on acceleration then rF2, feels upside down compared to everything else. Real cars included.

I'm sure AC is better than I have it in my rig. I just can't get my head rapped around it. I see videos of guys driving very well in AC but I just don't have it here.

I couldn't figure out Pcars either and I guess I still didn't but just used Jake Spades presets and what a difference FFB can make I'm always amazed.

I think I will always like rF2 the most because there is just so much car in my hands here!

11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think FFB influences how we perceive game-physics more than most people realize or may want to admit. For example, I know a lot of people that hate Dirt Rally physics but, I think the physics are better than the game-FFB allows. Using SC4-FFB to bypass the game-FFB demonstrates far more sensible and believable FFB IMO and that reflects positively on the underlying physics but, I guess that's too hard for people to believe. o_O

Regarding Pcars; I've used both the game-FFB with various wheels and with the AccuForce / SC4-FFB and I think I've squeezed out as much good FFB as I could but, there are some underlying handling issues that fail to convince me the same way other titles do. The car-handling tends to have certain "hand of God" moments where the car does impossible things that give some real "wtf" moments of the wrong kind. I find it very hard to recognize the threshold of grip and balance near the edge - unlike AC / AMS / rF2. Up to the point where grip-loss occurs, the car feels pretty lifeless and flat. Considering the hardware in use, it shouldn't be that way IMO.

During Pcars development (former WMD member:eek:), SMS guys avoided comparisons to other sims - much to the title's detriment IMO. I hope they can correct some handling behaviors with Pcars2.

Guimengo and vegaguy5555 like this.
  12. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I think I understand even more about FFB from this thread. Many, many thanks.

I am having a hard time complementing AC right now only because I'm having a hard time with settings at the moment. I do respect Kunos and all who have it working well. I'll get it eventually. Man... I sure got it messed up now.:( I apologize for my frustration. I have to admit I enjoy a mystery.:)

How can FFB make such a difference? But it does! It changes the way I think about a real car for sure.

I opened this thread mostly to understand AC but improved rF2. What a great hobby!:)

Thanks everyone!!

RaceNut likes this.
  13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

FFB makes a huge difference because it's what connects you to what the virtual car is doing, outside of visual and aural cues. Playing GPL without FFB was a good learning curve but playing high-powered and high-downforce vehicles with no or poor FFB make you slower simply from not feeling what (usually) the rear is doing on tight corners exits or if the front has gripped.

If you have not downloaded the Wheel Check and LUT Generator, you are not helping yourself in Assetto.

RaceNut and vegaguy5555 like this.
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I got the Lut and it did help a bit but still have the on/off switch for brakes you can hear in all my AC videos. It works for others, I can see it.

Right now rF2 has taken sim racing a big step into the future for me. I can really push a car to the limit while all my experience works second nature. AC works ok until I start driving hard and it falls apart.

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've heard that a lot of so called "Aliens" don't use FFB ? They are a lot faster than most .

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Different people do different things. I know of some people who only use damping, some who love a super heavy wheel that has no details, just weight, and so on.

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Talking of AC , have you seen this ?
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/assetto-corsa-car-tuner.13946/
    Wow , this just made driving AC fun .
    Really easy engine conversions , lol

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  18. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I haven't watched that vid but i have the app (track is Transfagarasan), The app is pretty cool . putting the LaFerrari engine into the Mazda MX5 ND is pretty fun .
    I also put the SF15t into the Miata , making the tacho spin around twice ,lol
    I'm pretty happy that there is a app like this because it makes AC fun . not realistic but it's the only way AC is going to get any lay time from me . I wonder how long Kunos will allow it to happen .
    Here's a better vid of the app in action ,

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    vegaguy5555 likes this.
  20. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Same feelings here too, AC is like "slipping on ice", the wheel is too light and deadzone is huge, even using .lut generator my G27 isn't able to give me the same sensations AMS/rF2 give me...I hope a day we can have the option for .lut files even on rF2 just to see how it works compared to AC...

peterchen and vegaguy5555 like this.