The REIZA DLC.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dady Cairo, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think it is in hella danger of huge offtopic now. My idea was that, FFB should not compensate for anything at all, just represent accurate steering forces. Basically this disadvantage of not perceiving inertia feeling on your body, is outweighted by the advantage that in simulation there are no consequences of crashing, and there are no freezing fear. And I also meant that simracing will never be ideally identical to real life, and that the realism should be approached from the more difficult side choosing worse scenario if there is no clear average approximation, compromises to make cars as easy as possible should not be made...

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Well, maybe that might be simulated too, like random injuries due to accident which will prevent you to race in next 2 or 3 events, or limited budget to fix your car which might end your championship sooner :D

mantasisg likes this.
  3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Much of "over/under-driving" of the virtual car depends on how connected we feel to the car. Obviously, that involves multiple sensory feedback streams and just as the author of Ultimate Speed Secrets explains, we need to tap into every possible one of them and increase our sensitivity as much as possible if we want to excel at driving on the limit. For most of us, FFB is the primary tool related to our sense of touch.

FFB-steering systems may be generally regarded primarily as an immersion enhancer but, I think that is not accurate, especially when better FFB-systems are in use. I know from personal use, when the FFB lacks certain details, I struggle to produce competitive lap-times and make many more mistakes, including both under and over-driving the car. At least for me, that sense of touch is paramount to feeling really "connected" to the virtual car as I do in real life.

Some people have more highly developed senses of sight, sound, touch, taste or smell. It doesn't mean we can't adapt to changes or improve some senses but, some differences are just not possible to overcome in some cases. For me, FFB is a big deal and it's why I invested in Direct-drive wheels, motion, and tactile.

Just as in RL, the more senses we can utilize to drive on the limit, the more connected we'll be. For those fortunate enough to have superior vision and hearing, lucky you. I need FFB too, the more - the better. :)

4. DustySticks

DustySticks Registered

I'm just hoping it arrives this month

Adrianstealth likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Perhaps Reiza 2019 ? :D With budget simulation, so if you destroy your tires (that are meant for whole weekend) in outlap, then you really hate yourself ? :D

6. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

On the content side we should be release ready by the end of the week, then it’s up to S397 to decide when its best to slot it in on their own schedule.

so its close

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Well said. This is also why sounds are so important for feedback. I drove cars with too low rpm compared to real life and missing shifting sounds etc, and it was enough for me to not drive those cars. Bad sounds put me off big time because they also give a sense/feeling of the engine power and the speed you're traveling at. Bad sounds sort of spoil part of the experience.

Ok we are off topic but to bring it back Reiza have pretty damn good sounds. Is AMS(rF1) and rF2 using the same sound engine/tech?

Kelju_K and RaceNut like this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

I believe they branch of the same Miles sound engine. Reiza however did make some quite significant improvements to it around two years ago when they added support for surround sound and improved the external sound filters.

RaceNut and Alex72 like this.
  9. Emery

Emery Registered

Same technology, different implementations. Any good Miles sound tech is going to be at home, even though there are differences.

Alex72 likes this.
  10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I fully agree, audio plays a vital role in understanding grip-loss and throttle application and much more, including immersion. Reiza has done a fine job of improving the audio in AMS with very good samples and 3d effects although, AMS seems to be without effective sound-reflection, which rF2 does pretty well.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

AMS has excellent tire sounds. The default setting lets me know exactly when a tire is starting to lock. That's an area where rF2 is sadly lacking.

RaceNut, Rui Santos and felthat like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Philosophical boi here

But is better always more realistic ? What are the physics of tire sound ? Should it immediately scream, or just start at particular temperature ?

13. Supa

Supa Registered

RF2 needs to sort out their drivetrain model...ie give me a maual gearbox that works properly..or I wont be spending a cent on the new Reiza DLC. Obviously all that time wasted on DX11 was ,more important!!

UsedMomo likes this.
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

Depends on the tire. I can give you examples of both extremes and all through the range.

mantasisg likes this.
  15. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Being able to feel the exact forces through the pedal is the most realistic, but there is no hardware for that. We're already at a disadvantage by not being able to feel any g forces. Sims would be much more difficult than the real thing if some sensory compromises weren't made.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Real deal would be so much easier if you'd forget in next two minutes that you just did damage that is worth more than your house, fractured something and will have to travel 5000km home thinking about it together with your team, but instead would just respawn fresh in the garage.

Eyes, actually, is quite a big deal. They do the absolute most work for you, but perhaps you are different though, and can drive with eyes closed, but not FFB turned off.

17. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Automobilista has an option:
    • Added "RETURN TO PITS" option to RULES settings (options are Instant, Car must be stopped and Car towed to garage with semi realistic or realistic timings)
    You can't feel the pain but if those two are active on server you can at least feel the frustration (specially on long races).

Emery, Alex72, AlenC and 2 others like this.
  18. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I really like that feature and would like to see this even enhanced to more extremes. The towing and repair times are still quite fast, so after completely binning it, you have to spend something like 4 minutes in the pit wich still feels a bit short. Couple it with nonexsitent options to restart offline races you you get a very interesting offline and ofcourse online experience. Out of a sudden people start to care for their cars and don't try to be Senna in the out lap.

Alex72, AlenC and Rui Santos like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I remember old but gold LFS cruise servers... all that money spent on towing after crashing very badly, or destroying clutch.... That was something.

20. Louis

Louis Registered

the waiting game...

Emery and Alex72 like this.