Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

You have an interesting point of view, I can live with people having other opinions to mine. I stick by my opinion however, that S397 could've achieved more inthe four years they've owned rF2, and the very first thing they should've done was to fix all the legacy bugs, like for instance the flag rules. As I've stated elsewhere, I have always supported S397, and bought just about everything they have ever released,because I know they need the money from the DLCs, despite being unhappy with some aspects of their work.
    Your comparison with AC doesn't hold water: in AC you don't have a huge library where you can deinstall stuff you don't want, none of the default content can be uninstalled individually. In rF2 It would be quite simple to make the default install just with the bare basics, and then the user could go into the library and download to his hearts content, including all the legacy content, some of it still from rF1, and which looks like something out of the 90's. If that's what floats your boat, you should by all means be able to download it from the library, but an awful lot of people find it annoying to have to deal with all this stuff that they don't want, and will never use in a million years. These subjects have been floating around forums all over the place since rF2 was released, I know I'm not alone in thinking this. I have no idea why some people on this forum get so precious when these things are discussed.
    The workaround with the SC threshold interests me, I've never heard about that. Is it documented anywhere, or would you be so kind and suggest a value I can enter in the player.json? And if it is indeed documented somewhere, where?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Grahame Myers I believe the default content is design choice. Rather than install bare bones and people need to install content to drive anything or join any servers, they chose to have everything installed for new users.

As you mention, this was discussed ad nauseam when the steam switch happened. Sometimes developers simply make a choice, and while it's not going to please everyone it's still their right to make that choice.

3. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Just the process what is annoying a bit. You have rF2 installed, and then you have to wait for workshop content to be downloaded. ...aaand you have to wait for workshop content to be installed. Other sims just download and install everything at once, so you don't realize what and when has been downloaded and installed.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

Then, the problem is that we have too much info :p

Remco Majoor, Filip and Balazs Magyar like this.
  5. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Anyone?

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Other sims don't utilize the steam workshop though. That's the whole point. There actually was someone telling me over at RD that it was easier to wade through the AC mods at RD and keep them manualy up to date with unziping and moving folders and files than having an automated process like in rF2. It's actually quite funny if you ask me.

I rather have everything updated automaticly and a few seconds of verifying the updates rather than having to deal with everything on my own and clicking through forums, folders and files. With rF2 I can manage my mods by using my smartphone while being at work and getting home and being ready to race. With the new UI it might get even easier. Doesn't get any better if you ask me, but there are still people trying to find anything negative in rF2, even if it is miles ahead in terms of mod management for the end user. The info box that tells you that stuff is veryfied and installed is propably much better than the UI freezing and telling you nothing at that point. ;)

Paul Stante, Filip, Emery and 2 others like this.
  7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

There is a threshold value that controls how big the chance for a SC is and it is listed under race conditions besides a few other nice settings. Since I changed it I never had issues with SC and FCY destroying my races.

"GPRIX Safety Car Thresh":10,
    "GPRIX Safety Car Thresh#":"Threshold for bringing out safety car (lower numbers -> more full-course yellows), please note that there are now RFM multipliers for this value",

8. Carr

Carr Registered

More issues I found with the newest version of the UI

- no cancel option when you join a server and it starts downloading, if it is going very slow you have no option but to wait for it.
    - no indicator to show which track folder when saving setup, there used to be an asterisk next to the current track folder.
    - chat indicator not sufficient and isn't obvious in any way. Maybe flashing and a better colour than pale yellow could be better.
    - can't see full event details, only current session. ie. When in a practice session, you can't see how long the race.
    - mouse cursor not showing when over buttons in game. ie. back, drive, settings

Not UI related but also noticed that rF2 isn't categorised as being a VR title in Steam so it doesn't show up in the games list in Steam VR Home. This is inconvenient as you have to go back to Oculus Home or remove the headset to restart the game, being rF2, this can be a fairly frequent requirement.

9. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

It would be very good if there would be a filter within the new UI for content from Studio397 or original content (updated). The quality to some (not all) mods is currently so high that it would be very good for newbies if you could filter that. If I start RF2 with all content, then I have a completely different opinion depending on the content than if I drive for example with the new GT cars in LeMans at night. I think that would be very important.

DucMan888 and Elcid43 like this.
  10. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

I gave a test to the new UI because I read that the old one is not going to be supported anymore soon.

The pre-track part of the UI is ok as soon as you put everything into list-view. Apart from Multiplayer beeing selected by default under the "race" section, which means you have to go through the server-loading delay every time you want to go into a single-player session and also the serverlist is missing some important information (like which track-layout is in use), otherwise it is perfectly fine. The best new thing is that the car-upgrades are beeing displayed already without needing to open the upgrade tab.

The on-track part is horrendous. The setup information is split into many many useless screens and you therefore need to do many useless clicks to do the same things as before. You miss chat messages by needing to manually open and close chat and waste even more time doing that. Everything you do takes longer then before. Critcical things are also missing. No proper server settings information, no name driver nametags on track, no speed/gear/rev indicators on the replay cameras and a couple other things.
    Even if all these would be implemented, all the endless wasted clicks and time, the setup saving and loading which needs a seperate window to actually load every time you do a tiny edit, all this takes precious time away from driving, which is enough reason for me to hang on to the old UI as long as possible.

3NPV5IRR likes this.
  11. Filip

Filip Registered

Don't know if it's already in new one but in the old UI I was missing info on mods that were just updated and downloaded. That pop-up showing downloads in the launcher closes it self and there is no way to find out what was updated.

12. RNeves

RNeves Registered

The main thing that bothers me with the new UI is that I can't change gear ratios. But surely this will be adressed in the next update.

3NPV5IRR and David Short like this.
  13. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

New Ui: choose opponents
    When I select my opponents from the list, it is displayed in the right field. OK.
    Only the selected main opponent, in my case the GTE class, is not highlighted in color or made recognizable with a tick.
    That was better in the old UI, there were clear hooks to recognize which opponents were selected.
    So it's confusing and confusing.
    Selected opponents should be color-coded or marked with a hook.
    So it's useless!
    Please improve.

buzz hornet likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

After the list of cars you chose are displayed on the right, scroll down the list to the GTE entry. Clicking on that will fill the right side with all the rest of the installed GTE cars you have.

15. J0E

J0E Registered

Yes you can. It was in the announcement for the Formula E cars. I don't know if it applies to other cars though.

Elcid43 and Pauli Partanen like this.
  16. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Weird, I can't find it to map it in the new UI...

17. J0E

J0E Registered

I just checked both the old and new UI. You are correct; it does not exist in the new UI. It's in the Driving section right above the Traction Control settings in the old UI. Also in the old UI, there's a new setting in the same Driving section called Arm Attack Mode (which I assume is for the Formula E cars) that does not exist in the new UI. S397 mentioned the FE Attack Mode two monthly reports ago, but there was nothing about it in the last monthly. It doesn't do anything so I assume it was put in as a place holder. You know, one could get suspicious that the developers are developing in the old UI if they aren't noticing that things are missing in the new one. But conspiracy theories are all the rage right now, aren't they?

Morbo, Emery and Elcid43 like this.
  18. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Ahh, ok then, THANKS!! Thought I was going crazy.

19. J0E

J0E Registered

I mentioned in another post that I can't find the setting in the new UI to set aggression/strength/limiter for individual track/car-classes. This exists in the old UI on the screen where you choose the car you want to drive. It allows you to set higher strengths for certain car classes in multi-class races so you could have the normas, for example, run at 100% while the Orecas are running at 90%. Probably a small audience for that feature admittedly. But I set it in the old UI and couldn't turn it off in the new UI.

Emery likes this.
  20. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I cant see an option to change cars when in a server that has multi cars available from within the new UI, is it hiding somewhere I cant see it or no longer an option?
    Its a real PITA having to leave the server just to come back in with a new car when testing.