the Nürburgring has been officially sold, 100M €.

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

The Nürburgring has been officially sold, and it wasn't to HIG Capital and its group of investors as we had previously expected. Instead, Düsseldorf-based Capricorn Development put in a last-minute bid to buy the track for 77 million euros ($106.8 million), and it's promising to invest a further 25 million euros ($34.7 million) into the historic racecourse. The company will take full ownership of the 'Ring on January 1, 2015.

Capricorn is saying all of the right things about its plans for the Green Hell. During the press conference that announced the sale, it said that motorsport will be the focal point of its ownership, and the track will remain open to the public. It wants to work with companies to create a technology center there and bring more industry to the Nürburgring region. The company already has an office at the 'Ring that supplies lightweight components to automakers and racing teams, according to RP Online.

According to Piston Heads, which attended the press conference, Capricorn's bid arrived with minutes to spare. It beat HIG Capital, which reportedly offered between 60 million and 70 million euros ($83.2 million to $97 million), because of the promise to bring new business to the area.

The major lingering question about the track's future is whether Formula 1 can remain at the grand prix course. Bernie Ecclestone previously threatened to hold future German Grands Prix only at Hockenheim. While it's too early to say for sure, Capricorn says that F1 is the pinnacle of the Nürburgring, according to Rhein Zeitung. At least we know it's valued.

After a year of questions, one of world's greatest racetracks will remain in German hands. If Capricorn stays true to its word, then it looks like the tracks legacy is only going to get better. The 'Ring lives!

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

That is some good news...I guess. Let's wait and see what the future may bring.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

The company which bought is sits around 500m from my home. If they mess up I know where to knock and ask them to reconsider. ;)

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I want to see them light the whole ring.. and then never turn the lights on.

6. vali

vali Registered

wow, that's really close.

7. ethone

ethone Registered

I'd rather live 500m from the Nürburgring but I'll take what I can get. ;)

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Go, knock his door and ask if they want to sold the license cheap to ISI, im talking serious.

9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I think the ring will live on, regardless if F1 is there or not. Its the most challenging track in history, no need for the GP circuit to remain open in my opinion.

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I just hope they don't neglect maintainence or crank up the prices of a lap...

11. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Not environment friendly. It should be open only for eletric cars at maximum.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Exactly. See if they view free promotion differently from the prior owners. ...Before they realize it's a seller's market!

13. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

No good start for the new executive Osieka and Getspeed yesterday: Steve Jans crashed their Porsche in the VLN testing days yesterday on one of their last test-laps. Will be a busy week at getspeed, to get the car ready for next weekends race.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  14. Micki

Micki Registered

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

16. redapg

redapg Registered

I am a German and i really don't understand why there can't be found a final and stable solution.

We pay money for so much Bullshi..... but for this Legend there is nothing left?????

It's a shame!!

17. Micki

Micki Registered

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Russians are traditionalists if i'm correct, might turn out ok. all the guy wants is to be present at big events and take photo's with selebs :p

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

What if they divided the track every kilometer. Just like monopoly they could sell each section to someone for maintenance and that party controls the advertising done in that section. AND if you are a badass, you build a nice house right on the trackside!

Don't keep the track kempt? You are evicted and your Kilometer sold to the next party.

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I would definatly build an hotel on my KM then, so that if you land (crash :p ) on my KM you owe me more money :D