The Fanatec CSL Elite Thread: please hear us!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Karei, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Karei

Karei Registered

I'm one of the many users who bought the Fanatec CSL Elite PC and Xbox bundle last year. While this wheel turned out to be amazing and almost perfect out of the box on many sims, it's struggling on the ISI engined games (rFactor 1 and 2, Automobilista).

I remember how the rF2 FFB used to be on my good old G27. I know how a race car wheel feels as I've driven one. Yet, no matter what I do, the CSL Elite doesn't give me a good experience here.

I asked on Discord, I replied on a few threads, I went on Reddit. After an initial concern, everybody disappeared leaving me and the all the people who own this wheel in the dark.

It's been month that I'm fiddling with settings. This morning I decided to end it once and for all. I'm asking everyone who has a CSL Elite to post here, so maybe together we can find a solution.

The problems are:
    -Weak FFB
    -Heavy shaking at high speeds
    -Rattling

I made a series of tests on a track I know well with a car I know well: USF2000 @Indianapolis14

The settings I started with:
    SEn AUT
    FF 100
    SHo 100
    ABS OFF
    dri OFF*
    For 90
    SPr 80
    dPr 100
    FEI OFF*

*I had already established that with rF2 and AMS you want this two settings at OFF, or the wheel will go crazy. Any FEI more than OFF gives rattling.

Run 1: 1'28"316
    Smooth: 4
    Minimum Torque: 0,5%
    Notes: my default settings, not much to feel :(
    [​IMG]

Run 2: 1'28"043
    Smooth: 3
    Minimum Torque: 0,5%
    Notes: minimal shaking and no rattling. Despite the numbers, you don't feel much on the track.
    [​IMG]

Run 3: 1'28"166
    FOR 100 Spr 100 Dpr 100
    Unless otherwise noted, the rest of the settings (Smooth, Torque etc) stay the same
    Notes: Little rattling, wheel shakes at high speeds
    [​IMG]

Run 4: 1'27"760
    FOR 100 Spr 0 Dpr 0
    Notes: Heavy shaking, BUT the wheel is as heavy as it should be, the feel when cornering is amazing. That it made me faster is no surprise: lately I did another run with this setting and if I didn't screw up a corner (I was using an old setup built around the G27 brake pedal) I would have repeated the lap time.
    [​IMG]

Run 5: 1'28"576
    FOR 100 Spr 100 Dpr 100
    Multiplier: 0.85 (remember that I always use 1.00)
    Notes: Meh feeling. Some shaking on the straights, can't feel much at low speed.
    [​IMG]

Run 6: 1'28"134
    FOR 90 Spr 100 Dpr 100
    Smooth 7
    Multiplier: back to 1.0
    Notes: this is a strange one. On my notebook I wrote: "bad... bad..." but as we'll see in a moment, it got good numbers. So, this is one I hope someone could try on their own and report back. I still don't know. The shakes were there, if you're asking.
    [​IMG]

Let's see the FFB Output average:
    [​IMG]

As I mentioned, my last run got the best average on a single lap, but I didn't like the feeling.
    I can say for sure that what gives the heavy shaking on the straights is FOR: the problem is that I love the heavy feeling at 100, it's how the wheel should feel (this car doesn't have power steering AFAIK) and how I experienced it in real life, but it turns on the unbearable shaking. At 90 the shake is a bit better, but it's still there. Same at 80. The lower you tune FOR, the lighter the wheel will feel.

So, these are my findings. I still don't know which settings to use. I'm torn between Run 1 (no shakes, no rattles, but very low forces) and Run 4 (shakes, but the feel is amazing and it makes you go unconsciously faster).

What I'm asking is for you to try, share, discuss. And please, Studio397, if you have the time, we need more documentation on wheel settings. As with everything else, we're almost in the dark.

2. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Hi Karei, I've had this wheel for about a year. So I did my own testing to get a reasonable setup.
    All these setting have come from just testing, I've not got any software to give any info.
    Here's my settings in the game...

Car specific FFB - 120 - 70 varies from car to car
    FFB Smoothing - 6
    FFB Min Torque - 2%

In the profiler I have the wheel range at 650, also set at 650 ingame

On the wheel I have
    Sen = 70
    FF = 100
    Sho = 100
    Abs = OFF
    Lin = OFF
    DeA = OFF
    DrI = OFF
    For = 60
    SPr = 120
    DPr = 10
    brF = OFF

It werks ok fer me, like I said I just vary the FFB in game for the car I'm using.
    I hope something here werks fer you

SS

Karei likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi @Karei , I feel I should point out that the game's FFB output is purely based on the car physics and the game's parameters. Your wheel settings will have no effect on it (but obviously will affect what you feel). Without some sort of methodology you're just going to have to go by feel.

4. Karei

Karei Registered

Oh okay, so that explains why the numbers didn't match what I was feeling.

5. Karei

Karei Registered

Smelly
    Sadly, I don't like these settings, but in them there's something I finally understood: FEI 10 reduces the intensity of the vibrations.
    Now, on Facebook I joined the Fanatec Owners Group, where a kind guy adviced me to try:
    "SteeringTorqueSensitivity" (controller.json) to 1.5
    Spr and Dpr OFF
    Minimum Torque 0%

Doing that gave me back the weight I was looking for (you need to lower the Car Specific FFB to avoid clipping), but of course neither the rattling nor the shaking have disappeared.

Gonza Garcia likes this.
  6. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

I also have the wheel CSL elite ps4 and I am looking to find the best ffb for the wheel, in your post you pointed to a Facebook group of fanatec wheel owners. It is possible that you tell me what the group is called so I integrate.

Greetings and many thanks

7. Karei

Karei Registered

It's called "Fanatec Owners Group"

Gonza Garcia likes this.
  8. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

Ok, Thank you very much I just sent the request, now I hope that the administrators accept the request.

and the last thing, what configuration of ffb do you have in RF2?

Thanks!

9. Karei

Karei Registered

You're welcome!
    As of today I'm using:
    SEn AUT
    FF 100
    SHo 100
    ABS OFF
    dri OFF
    For 80
    SPr OFF
    dPr OFF
    FEI 10

I increased SteeringTorqueSensitivity to 1.5
    Minimum Torque 0
    Then I check on Motec how much I'm clipping, and lower the Car Multiplier until there's a tiny amount of clipping in the longest turns, maybe just a spike in the graph. That is around 0.80 depending on the car.

Now, I repeat that I'm not satisfied, the rattling never goes away, but the latest build has reduced it a little bit: it means there is an actual non-addressed problem in the sim. That the devs have disappeared after I asked them for help both on the forum and directly on discord (there was an initial interest, but then all went quiet) is disheartening, but I'm still giving rF2 a chance.

Gonza Garcia likes this.
  10. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

once again thank you very much for your help! I've noticed the rattle in less way with the new update, and if we lower it to the SHO from 100 to 80? I will change something I will try during the night to see if it changes.

regards

11. Karei

Karei Registered

I just tried SHO 100, 50, 10 and OFF. On my end it doesn't have an effect on rattling. I advise to leave it at 100 because it's helpful to catch slides.

Gonza Garcia likes this.
  12. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

yes, leave the sho in 100, now the other, as you the damper in the profile of windows, I take it to 900 ° and 80 of Damper in the profile of fanatec, and you?

regards

13. Filip

Filip Registered

Hi, does every Fanatec CSL user have this problem you are talking about or are you exceptions?
    I was thinking about maybe buying Fanatec bundle and rf2 is my main sim but this is discouraging

14. Karei

Karei Registered

It's unclear. I know for sure we're not the only ones: I saw people complaining here and there, hence the reason I created this thread, to work together to a common solution. Those who don't have rattling or shaking are using very low FFB values and typically say they haven't adjusted it yet.
    I mean, you can have a clear feedback, but at the cost of weight and car informations.
    An old thread on RaceDepartment during the rFactor1 and RealFeel days led people to believe that wheels should be light. Only F1 and cars with power steer have light wheels. The other ones are very very heavy (I experienced it).
    Now, somebody could say that the vibrations we are experiencing are tyre deformation and other things like that, but I didn't have those on my old G27, nor you feel that on a real race car, so I don't think that's the case here.

Anyway the Firmware and the Drivers just released didn't change a thing :(

Damper setting, I'd say that it depends. If you want weight, like I do, you have two options:
    DPR 100
    or SteeringTorqueSensitivity at about 1.5 (controller.json), in which case you don't need DPR and should leave it to OFF.

Gonza Garcia likes this.
  15. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

Thanks for the answer but I mean this parameter, which is enclosed in a red circle (Dampening Strength)

I point out that the photo is not from my wheel is just to show the (Dampening Strength)

As I tell you, friend, I have that value in 80 on my csl elite ps4, what value do you have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  16. Karei

Karei Registered

I had it at 100%, but the new driver has removed that parameter!

17. Gonza Garcia

Gonza Garcia Registered

Ok, I'll keep trying as soon as I get home
    Thanks bro!

Karei likes this.
  18. Karei

Karei Registered

I give up. I uninstalled rF2, cleaned everything, then downloaded it from scratch. It's the same. I hate the FFB, and I'm so fed up that I have to take a long hiatus from this game. Hope something will be sort out in the meantime, but I'm not counting on it.

Gevatter and Guimengo like this.
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

I feel your pain, I have the same issues on my CSL Elite PS4. The rumble strips just kill the wheel, and the only workaround is to set either Filtering very high in game or FEI very low which both take away a lot of the feeling.

Karei likes this.
  20. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Registered

Hello,

even with SEN AUT + ingame 'Vehicule Set' checked the ingame wheel is not synchronized with the real wheel.
    What can I do?
    Thanks.