The end of free mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olex, Sep 6, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Huh, I grew up with Ferraris and Porsches on my lap, its not so easy taking names away.
    Atm they are brand names, but they are history nevertheless and history can never be branded.

(or can it?)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I personally think it's a rather 'silly' stance for Porsche to take....especially in lieu of the fact that those guys (Enduracers) are not selling the mod, but offering it for free.
    At the very most Porsche should have ask them to submit it for review to see if it represented the brand properly and in a good way.
    It seems rather heavy-handed to ask them to 'ditch' it entirely....if that's infact what they did.
    These mods go a long way to exposing any brand to perspective buyers of the future. It's their loss.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Again, Porsche might not really be to blame here. If they sold exclusive rights to their brand to another software racing company and that company found out about the mod, then they could be forcing Porsche to enforce the exclusive rights they have.

4. coops

coops Banned

+1 think you might have hit nail on the head

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I guess we'll find out soon enough who's behind it, if companies start going after the modding teams and the cars in question start showing up in 'official' releases of any particular game.

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's deep :cool:

These threads would be so cool if we could all sit around a campfire with a keg of beer and a bong and discuss for hours :D

(college flashback)

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

had to google this, looks great, thats what you were doing during college? LOLOL

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Scientific research! ;)

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Wait a minute, you are saying you don't have your campfire running?

In world of completely useless stuff, there are everything and even more, this one you can make by yourself too http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Fake-Fire-Pit-in-a-Bamboo-Box/

But tell me, how it could be illegal to make mod from car that I legally own which from I have not received EULA at all because during time car was made even internet was accessible only for few.

Taking photograph of a car can't be illegal either as you are not copying the car, but only making new content that you have copyrights, how come it is then illegal to make 3d model as that is also not a copy?

I think only issue is with names like Porsche Cup or if mod is released using their registered trademarks.

In which court there has been case of this? If there has been such case, what are reasons why mod is illegal? There must be something such claims are based on, car makers can of course threaten, but if their threats have nothing concrete to back them up, then they might get their fingers burned in court.

I don't think there are clear rules about this yet. I don't think that same intellectual property laws cover cars like they cover software, you can't copy someone else's software ideas for example, but for certain you can make a painting, photo or digital art from something that exists in real world.

What I think is that problem comes from trademarked logos more than from anything else.

I don't think that intellectual property itself being problem as it is not used, unlike if you would do actual copy of car and would then try to sell it in your name.

One thing I'm starting to feel is something similar to history I learned long time ago. American Indians could not understand concept of owning land, it was completely impossible to own a land from their point of view as their culture was different, now I'm starting to feel some parties claiming things that are completely impossible, like for example photographing building, which in EU is not illegal if you can do it from public road or some other public area, which actually in Finland include also privately owned forests etc. because here everyone has right to walk on other's land but not on other's yard, there are no defined limits, but it is commonly known that you should stay outside of visible range when walking on someone else's land, but from public road you can take photos from what is around you. Then there is other law that restricts this so that taking photos where you can recognize persons are required permission from those persons so that you can use that photo, but it does not restrict taking photos.

Of course from closed events it is possible to restrict taking photos, but for example in car races I don't think anyone has ever restricted that. It happens more in concerts and such.

I really can't understand how car model would be any different from photo in that sense.

Puzzling really.

10. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Ok now this is weird, I just had the thought cross my mind to build a 'track' that is simply just a camp-fire burning inside a circle of a dirt road, so that we could all sit around it and talk about this.

1 person likes this.
  11. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Haha lets get Baked :cool:

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I support this idea only if there is ramp for jumping trough that fire :p

Different countries have different laws, also different cost for court, it might be also interest of some art organization to have clear rules defined for this.

If we share only our art, being car physic and graphics etc, without .exe files or installers, then can it be said that it still is part of software?

Does Porsche understand difference there is? As mod is not part of the product, game, it is just separate files that surely can be used in game, but is not delivered with the game.

13. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

It is as fracking simple as that ... !!! And unfortunately it ain't getting any better ...

The first time I heard about this what actually came true on Thursday last week was approx. 2 weeks ago.

Although I am aware of this person's lack of character whose name was called in the first grid lane, I thought by myself: "OK, he's a real conscienceless scumbag without any backbone, BUT he wouldn't go that far ... !?!?" But it looks like it wasn't the first time I was proofed wrong by judging him "in benefit of the doubt" ... especially upon my personal experience with this guy !!!

Sure, there is always a none 100% sure as long as the person who is responsible for those actions states the facts in front of a camera. Not that it never happened, but this is reeeeeaaally rare !!!

And still - some of the main questions in this case are:

- Why the prayer at this point in time against this EnduRacres Mod almost ready to race?
    - Is it really Porsche who is behind all this as the driving force?
    - Why Porsche didn't take legal actions against all those Porsche Mods already out there or prevented those by threatening those modder (s and/or groups)?

Cheers
    Frank

PS: I have accepted that "the real life" is wasted by such farces, but are we willing to let this happened to a community where really most of the people don't have any financial interests !?!? For sure I am sick and tired of it getting hit by this b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. in every single corner of my life !!! But maybe I am too naive sometimes ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

LOL :)

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And what do you suggest to do with it?

Live is hard, ends in death ;)

16. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

@Max: Really, that is where u respond to? KUDOS!

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes. I really interested about what we may do in those circumstances.
    I'm reading this thread and found it very interesting. Even if I know how laws work and what are my rights and privileges, I personally see no way out (in legal way). but still waiting some one figure things out giving answer how to dodge it

18. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

... a good thing to start is to stop ignoring those who are obviously only into that power and money business - even though they pretend in any way that these are not their primary objectives. By ignoring those people one will give them all the room they need to improve finally ending up in those things we are discussing here ending up searching for solutions when things already went down the drain! Uuuuh, where do I know this from *scratching my head* !?!?

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Can't say I read this entire post but one thing from above that does enter my mind is whether I have rights to a car that I own myself and that I paid for and that is mine b/c I own it. Did I emphasize that enough? So just model my car and I will allow you to do that and b/c it is my personal car specifically I hereby grant you the right to do so because it is my car. I will even photoshop some pictures of you in my car to prove that you actually drove my car and not one of their cars for sale.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah, there's gotta be away around this on a techincality but of course like was said before perhaps still too much risk and you can get sued to death simply because crushing costs to defend yourself. So much for innocent until proven guilty...