The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

hehe same here but maybe this weekend I've time to find out more about it :)
    Will post it here if I find out some usefull things.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The mod is the F1 RFT one so community made.
    It does have talent files, yes.
    All the tracks :(

I have not found out where to go for the "add AI"?
    Now I just might have broken the game; all settings are gone all of the sudden and mods I had in the past, are in my mod manager again??
    Okay, I have gone back in time? But that's a whole other thing ;)

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

So what I know F1RFT bring it's own tracks with the mod. AI is to slow with this tracks too ?
    Possible Solutions could be to adjust some of this values but be aware of the possibility of a override from other settings. You have to check out this before:

AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Min Radius="20.00000" // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
    As all these can be overrode in the HDV it's probably best to leave well alone.

or you try out the AI calibration (be aware it's WIP) and does not work with all mods ATM but I've made good experiences with this feature.
    Some earlier posts in this thread describe the usage good enough to get some results to know if it works for you or not.

Autocalibrate AI Mode="0" // When in a test day with 1 AI, AI will attempt to perfect his driving line, and save his knowledge for future use
    Fixed in Build 240 and working correctly, see release notes:
    Fixed directory issues when using playerfile variable ‘Autocalibrate AI Mode=”1″‘, so that the AI can calibrate and use that knowledge in future races. (this is not a magic bullet to improve AI racing lines, but a simple algorithm that sometimes works to improve the line an AI will take.) Calibration files are located in the data directory UserData\player\Settings\*component name*\*veh_file_name*\ for the standard single/multiplayer game and in the proper GameData\Vehicles\… directory in Mod mode.

AI Calibrate Sample Size="5" // When AI calibration is set to 2, this is the number of trials the AI should run while testing each parameter. bigger # == larger file size of saved data
    MikeZ - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...l=1#post235678
    Changelog (Build 342) notes:
    Introduced version 1.0 of new AI learning code. When Autocalibrate AI Mode=”2″ in the playerfile, AIs will run laps in practice trying to optimize their operating parameters on a per corner basis ( up to the new playerfile variable “AI Calibrate Sample Size” number of trials). They create a database (*.wis file…for “wisdom”, in the UserData\player\Settings\componentName\VehicleFile directory) with the results & use these results to adjust their parameters on the fly in a race. Because this is the first release, it’s not completely full-featured…for best results, during practice, disable fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures, and try to keep out of their way (they will not currently ignore a result because the the AI was held up by another car). Results are stored between games, so you may run a race with fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures once the databases are created.
    When Autocalibrate AI Mode=”3″, the AI will only read and use existing knowledge.

To create a AI Driver from the UI I've done this steps (URD-EGT Mod):
    - select the car from spinner or list view
    - load the selected car into the garage or showroom
    - under the skin selection should be a button "create virtual driver" (or
    or something like that :p ) push it :D and follow the process
    - after the successful creation of the AI car go back to spinner/list view and there you should see a (active) button called AI something (can't remember exactly) push it :D
    - now you should see the AI talent settings and you should be able to change this talent settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks AB, I'll going to dive into that. Those were the lines from the first post too, right?
    I read it's in the HDV file, but I can't find such a file?

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

right :)
    (can be overrode in HDV) I understand this more like can but not must.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I dove in there, but haven't found a HDV file......

Have to see how the changes in the PLR file work out now. They are pretty high already and there's not much room if the max is 1.0
    Working on it!

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Is the AI on ISI Silverstone faster ?
    Is it the same with the mod included Silverstone?
    Maybe the AI Path is not fast enough.
    Raise the AI strenght does not help enough?

I will try some different settings later today and see what happens .

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The first 3 questions; I don't know the answer just yet but I get back on this!
    I have raised the AI up to 120% but still way to slow.

I can see them on the straight being just as fast as me, but cornering......like an old lady. Does that say anything?

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

And I got some answers:)

The difference between me and the AI were not that big as on others on the RFT track.
    However, I did notice I had a lot more grip on the RFT one.
    The AI were 0,5 slower there, but the track was greener.
    I was more than a second faster on default setup with hard tires and a green (RFT) track. On the ISI one, I had soft and rubbed in.

Still, the AI were faster than me this time. Maybe that's because the RFT Silverstone, is a conversion of the ISI track? Don't know that for sure, but it looks like it.
    If I sit down for it (no kids running around like now) and setup the car, I can beat the AI still.

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hm. Maby a other setup make them faster?
    Not sure how it works exactly but I beleive the AI use the as default marked setup.
    Maybe they need a higher flap setting. Think it would worth a try :)

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Is that possible, changing the AI setups?
    I'll go and try that out, thanks!!

Edit; yes it's possible :) Going to try that one out!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  12. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Fine:) Please come back and report how you made it if you have success :)
    Need it also for this mod :D

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Got it! :)
    It works, BUT........when I stepped in, the AI were not that slow as last time.......huh?
    Ow well, I got them even a bit faster with my setup.
    I also noticed they were banging every wall out there; some calibration is the next thing I have to do I think.

Anyway; with my setup (they didn't took the soft tires) they were a second faster.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry, I read everything there is to read about it (as far as I know) and did what I had to do (or: as I understood)

I set the PLR file to "Auto calibrate AI" on "2", let them drive with al settings off (fuel and so on) and speed up time.
    It's not perfect, but doing 200 laps for every car apart......ehm....... This had to work just a bit. ;)

And so it did; I took Melbourne, they normally drive 1,33 over there and now, they did 1,28 low.
    Nice!
    I set back to calibrate "3" so they should use it, and went back in. They still do 1,33's......... They were faster :(

I didn't see somewhere that the files needed to be replaced.

Also; they were faster, but still drove a horrible line (in the grass, making them lift)

Anyone ideas on this? What did I do wrong, they were faster! :(

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Now I know why they were so fast; if due usage is off, they do drive a couple of seconds faster.

Strange thing; I let the game run just now, normally, so every usage on, AI calibrate set at "3" so they only read the file as said here in the topic, and when I clicked Nico Hulkenberg, he said he was exited to learn the track.....??.......
    I couldn't reproduce however.

Now I can make it a bit more exiting for myself, setting the fuel to "off", but I might drive faster too, so no gain anymore there.
    Is there a way to set it off for them and not for me?

I looked into the aiw file, but wow........how can I ever know what line to edit? I see which corners they mess up, but it seems impossible to look up the right line for that.

Any tips on this guys?

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I think AI calibrate set at 3 is not working properly anymore (for example some cars braking way too early at some places). Instead leave the value to 2 and remove practice session so it won't try to continue AI calibration. This way it works for me at least.

BTW you can make multiple AI's learn at the same time by settings also private practice on and selecting enough AIs. Be sure to exit from practice session after AI has finished (do not continue to qual etc) so that wisdom-files will be written to disk. Then change your own car to some other number and do it again so the last missing AI driver will also get wisdom file. Sometimes some wisdom files looked to be corrupted because AI were doing funny things afterwards and it might have been because exited from practice session while some AI's were still on track. Haven't confirmed it yet. Haven't had any problems now because set practice time to for example 5 hours so all AIs have enough time to do around 180 laps and will pit in when time runs out.

EDIT: In case no-one mentioned yet during teaching AI press Ctrl+X to speed things up. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Maybe corridors are not set right for the track and therefore AI doesn't know what the track limits are (left and right). Corridors are altered by AIW editor (needs ModDev).

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks KeiKei.

The learning didn't work out whatsoever; tried all kinds of things, but the line still was horrible.

But; I got it now! :)
    I edited the line "BestAdjust=(1.2000)" in the AIW file. It was 1.0250 and I made it 1.2000
    That was the trick. Well, it's a bit of a patch of course; they should do the proper line.

How I did that, I will describe here because maybe some of the readers might benefit from it. I sure can't recall this in about 3 days and might have to reproduce it on other tracks, so, nice for myself too ;)

I opened the "Melbourne.mas" file from the track that was installed and used the MAS2.exe for that.
    I extracted the aiw file, edited it and saved it. (Leave Mas2 open)
    Draw back the new aiw in the MAS2 and it will show there instead of the old, but it gives the position of where you have put the (new) jaw file.
    Click: "save mas".
    Now the new file is in the rF2/installed/locations folder. Go in there to see if it is newly made.
    In the game however, the track doesn't show up anymore, but no problem.
    Open the MAS2 again and click on the box. Click: "create new single cmp"
    Choose a different folder to put it in, choose a different number of version and set the type to "location".
    As files, go to the folder in rF2 where the track is and select all the mas files belonging to the track at once.
    Select "package".
    The package is now in the folder where you said it should go.
    Now, that package goes in your rF2/packages folder. I let the old one sitting there and that was no problem. (Was part of more tracks, so couldn't uninstall)
    Make sure to set the AI strength to 120 in the game.

That's it. You see the old name in the track selection, but beneath it, the new version number.
    There must be a better way to do this, but this is the only way I know.......and more over; it works in the end ;)

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hm can't follow your solution. Let me repeat the points:
    - You have changed the AI setup with success
    - AI Calibration has not worked for you (no wis files ?)
    - You have raised the AI strenght to 120 (has helped)

My questions:
    - What AI path is set in the original Talent file ?
    - Is this path available in the track you used for your testings.
    - What was now final solution for you ?

thx alex

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I will try to give a good answer. I'm pretty new at stuff like this, so, forgive me when I misunderstand.

In the original talent file, I see no AI path. The only thing I see that's different from the drivers talents, is this: 'DrivingLine = F1RFT2013_FAST".
    Second question; I don't understand actually.

The final solutions were several;
    1) Setting up the AI setups; I could "control the speed" of them a bit. (PLR)
    2) I have set these setting to 1.0: (PLR)
    AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
    AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)

3) I have set these values all to zero, as one of them was 1.0: (AIW)
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,0.0000,0.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track, limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0
    4) The most I gained was by this line, making it a 1.2000 instead of 1,0250: (AIW)
    BestAdjust=(1.2000) Now, I have that set to 1.4000 but I don't notice much difference between that and 1.2000

I did adjust the talent file, but used it only near the end, to get some realistic spread; Vettel to the front and Pic to the back. It didn't have much influence on the whole proces though.