The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Hello,
    maybe not exactly the right place do ask about AIW but still the most comprehensive thread about AI in general.

On many many 3rd party tracks there seems to be a problem with the AIW where the AI just slows down in the middle of a corner where it's not necessary at all :(
    Examples: Putnam Park last corner going into the straight, AI drives clean into the corner and right about the apex where they should give full throttle they go on the brakes
    Spa-Francochamps: When driving uphill after the pits to the left bend, the AI brakes also in the middle of the corner

Not only does this make the AI drive slower but also for unrealistic "stacking up of cars" and of course crashes. It kills the fluidity.
    PoznanTrack also has 3 corners if I recall correctly where they just break at the apex. Right now this kills my experience to drive some real events.

Strange thing is, I can't find anything on the internet about this, like I'm the only one experiencing it. Is there any additional info on that and how I can fix that?

Thank You so much in advance, all the best

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi gkz,
    If you want to be able to do this by yourself, you have to download the rF2 SDK and
    learn how to edit the AIW-line.
    I can help you in that but it´s a little bit complicated (at first)!
    For Poznan there is an update by Tosch available,- please use the search funktion for that.

PM me if you want to go through this.

Greets
    Pete

3. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

In 798, it seems to me that the AI in third party cars or tracks (if you are using anything other than official content car or track) do not respect the difficulty settings. I think they just run at 100% AI strength. On official content, I can slow the AI sufficiently so that I'm not in a distant last place, but if I use a third party car or track, then they run much faster than i'm capable of driving. Anyone else notice that?

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Does resume from replay work for anyone else? I can't use it anymore and it puts a damper on AI racing

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wonder how much this may improve by enabling the track learning option and letting an A.I. practice for a few hours (enable time acceleration)...

6. BlaringFiddle5

I did some more testing yesterday. I found that if I set the AI to 100% with the civic that I was good enough to just barely take pole position and win at mills metro park. Then I started croft. I was a distant last place, so I'm not sure what the deal is at this point. Anyone else have any input?

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

For me AI-strenght works normal.
    For every car-track-combo it seems.
    AI-limiting function in player.JSON seem to be broken for me though.
    Maybe time for a fresh install...

8. gkz

gkz Registered

Well to Croft I can tell you one thing: AI is in beast mode on this one. They are crazy fast. I don't think this track can serve well as a benchmark. When for me usually 100% is no problem, then on Croft I need like 85% or lower...

So I tried the AIW editor, made the things described in the PDF by ISI but without success. Looks like it would take to make an entirely new fastest path... Putnam Park last corner still hits the brakes.
    I have to say that modding even the slightest things is so complicated and frustrating it's hard to keep on. There are so many tracks by 3rd parties I think are great but this AIW problem kills it entirely.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

The AIW-problem is indeed unnecessary, yes.
    But believe me: If you did this a few times it´s no more problem!
    It´s easy when you know what exactly to do and if you have the flow.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I second that. The AIW editor is great tool. It needs some time to get used to it but you have all tools you need to create a AIW from scratch or fine tune an existing AIW.

A good starting point is here.
    http://racingtracks.net/rf_aiw_editing.html

It's from rF1 and the menu is now a bit different, but the workflow is still the same.

11. BlaringFiddle5

Ok ... It hasn't been on just croft, however, any suggestion on a third party track that I should try as a benchmark?

12. gkz

gkz Registered

OK thanks. Will try again. I just wonder how come there is no AIW Thread/Download section with updated files where everyone can share fixes instead of every individual making all the adjustments himself.

Can someone tell me why sometimes the normalize curve function doesn't work for the AI? On Putnam Park the last corner I tried it without success. Does this happen often with other tracks and how can this be fixed? Are those instances where the fastest path has to be recorded entirely new?

Also I had no success adding another car to DevMode. While Tracks can just be copy pasted, vehicles can't. Could only find a thread describing it only for the ISI Megane but how about other cars like for instance the WSGT Megane?

Thank You all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I use normalization only on straights. It's a good tool to make a smooth transition from pit path to main path (just mark the last 10 waypoints of the pit path and normalize. You should have always a backup copy of the latest changes in case something goes wrong with the normalization tool) and to fix the kink in the driving paths at start finish (first waypoint - last waypoint). In curves the normalization produces strange results.
    To figure out what's wrong with the fast path, go to path menu, select "fastest" as visible/actionable (corridors and stuff like that should be hidden), select "show speed text" and let the AI drive to the position. Check the speeds while in pause. If there are big differences (maybe because of a slide in fast path creation) you can pick a single waypoint (the green marker) and fine tune the position (and the speed) by moving the waypoint with "Ctrl + Cursor left/right" (Ctrl + Alt + Cursor for minimal corrections).
    If the fastpath is to bad just drive a new one. The new fast will only be accepted if the time is quicker than the old one (you can reset the timer when you pass the start/finish line). The path (fastest) has to be set as visible/actionable in the path menu.
    If you would like to add a new car to devmode look here.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/21233-Developer-Corner-Wish?p=297633&viewfull=1#post297633

14. gkz

gkz Registered

thanks a lot again, I think now I have enough base informations to go on.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just a gentle bounce for those that may of missed it, most (if not all) information contained within this thread is still relevant.

(Having just skimmed through again it seems people in the later pages are asking questions that were answered earlier in the thread!)

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Is there any way to pick specific AIs to participate of a race? I meant, if I have 20 Camaros, is it possible to pick 10 drivers specifically amongst them to join a offline race? This plus MarcG tip (Champ Result 3) would provide a offline championship in a quite decent way.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes, you enter a weekend with no AI and add them individually (the ones you want) from the drop down box.
    Or create your own talent and veh files with a specific number of AI you want.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Thank you very much, I'm going to try right away. That software you indicated can manage a offline championship perfectly.

Edit> I got to revert to original UI since the alternative light UI is not letting me to see the opponents classes, I can see only checkboxes without the series names.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No problem, yep it's great for that :)

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Guys & Gals,

Even though most of what is in the first post (and throughout this thread) is still upto date and correct with regards to what does what, there may be some things that are wrong/outdated. So with that in mind, during the next couple of months I'm going to have some free time to update where necessary and this is where I'll need your help!

If there is anything you see that is Outdated, wrong or you have some extra information you think is worthy of addition then get writing below and I'll start working on it in the next week or two. It's something I've been meaning to do for quite sometime and now is the time I'm finally able to make it better and less cluttered, plus with GEN6 cars coming soon there could be a whole new area of information regarding Oval AI...

I will more than likely make a 2nd Version of the thread and tidy it up (a lot) and or do a Wiki Entry (if that even still exists), I was contacted ages ago about the latter so apologies to whomever it was but I've lost the PM :eek:

That's enough blabbing...for now, thanks all x