The car is hard to control for the first few laps

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Michael Juliano, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

There certainly could be some sort of icon or status for current track condition, but nothing is implemented specifically for that yet. You can certainly see and FEEL the difference.

As for the other, honestly I don't have an answer for you. I don't know the details of the code the programmer has planned. I'll see if I can find out something but can't promise anything ATM...

2. cluj

cluj Registered

Scott what about the brake blocks and make flat tires?? There is now progress in that??

3. FoXXb8

FoXXb8 Registered

Awesome and thanks for the response, but mate don't go out of your way. I appreciate your answers and your time taken already. I'm sure its a very busy time for you all.

Cheers and goodluck with it.

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Hi Scott, i've asked this before but as i think you're the man who can explain it to us with more detail i'm asking again.

Can you tell us if in rFactor 2 we have to be consistent like in real life to do a good race (saving tires, engine), holding position to attack later, or we can just drive like crazy like some guys do in rFactor 1 to win races? Thanks in advance! Also, do we need in wet weather to go off the drying line sometimes (to the wet side) to refresh tire temps OR get to the side (out of opponent tail in front of you) on a straight in dry race so your car can take fresh air into the engine like we see sometimes in real life (after several laps behind your opponent wind "warm" tunnel)?

5. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

The tire model isn't completely finished yet, so currently you can abuse the tires more than you should. However, I would get in the practice of trying to drive consistently now so that when it IS finished you won't burn them to a crisp. This same applies to wet tires. That said, if you abuse the tires too much you will feel a difference, just not the full affect yet.

You can run hot from following directly behind someone for too long. So yes, in longer races you need to step out a bit to get some clean air...

6. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thanks a lot!! By now the part you can abuse the tires are bad news but it's only by now :D

Cheers mate and keep up the good work :cool:

7. O11

O11 Registered

No, please not. That defeats the purpose of 'reading' the track completely. Just like that stupid HUD thing that shows you the current tyre temperature and wear. It's bulldada. You're supposed to feel is through your wheel and the behaviour of your car. Gain confidence in your car through experience and feeling, not because the HUD says the track and your tyres are at optimal temperature.

8. FoXXb8

FoXXb8 Registered

Yes i agree when in the race, but leading up to the race you are a one man team so info like tyre temp and track is needed to make a good setup isn't it? also i would think you would want to know this as the track could go from rubbered-in to green by the end of a session and if you weren't on the track to feel this how would you know if the track had changed? Ok maybe not a HUD info screen but something i guess at the monitor screen level so it would give you the chance to choose a setup for that condition and the next session. If thats how setups are going to work?

I started this thread for this very reason.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1606-Car-setups-v-track-conditions-(green-rubbered-in)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  9. Simon Melhuish

Simon Melhuish Registered

FSR then :D

10. Dimitri De Matos

Dimitri De Matos Registered

amateurs? really? best joke of the day?

11. Nor

Nor Registered

In my opinion it's bulldada not to have such displays. As in real racing every driver has a team in his pits, he always gets information about the trackconditions, tyreconditions weather forecast and so on. Maybe not in every small touring car competition, but F1, DTM and some more have lot of informations available.

And btw, real live driver has lot more posibillities to grab information as he is physically connected to the track, we are only virtually conected.

12. Will Fly

Will Fly Registered

sorry dont agree with ya

you never had an engine blow, brakes fail,punchard tyre, all this can be reduced or stopped by reading the hud correctly

maybe if you run 100% races or endurance,to complete you need the hud

sry missed the green track hud,and i also dont agree

13. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I can agree with both of your points and understand what you mean.

I think it's going to be important to gain a good balance though, we don't want too much information as it could start to damage realism and immersion.

Standard weather and track temp info displays are good, but track "green-ness" really does not need an icon IMO, it's one of those things that should be left to visual development of the track, feel, and most importantly common sense.

Even super arcade F1 2011 doesn't have an indicator for track development.

The whole point of track development IMO is to add realism, randomness, and dynamic situations to the track. If we have a "track development = 90%" bar, it will really kill immersion.

14. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

Understatement of the century.

15. Simon Melhuish

Simon Melhuish Registered

Thats what it was suppose to be, a joke. I guess some people dont get British humour :)

16. doug484

doug484 Registered

I worked on a real car for many years (oval asphalt racing), and so many times I have seen drivers on the track (before anything started) talking amongst themselves and rubbing their shoe over the track. You can't always predict how your setup will interact with the rubber on the track (or even what kind of rubber) and the temperature, but I'd say real drivers have a lot more information about the track than we do driving on a computer - they can walk about and look at the track or feel it with their shoe.

17. raisen1964

raisen1964 Registered

I don't know about current LMP's, but back in the 80's Jaguar C1 cars had 3 point temperature sensors across their tyres feeding telemetry and if I remember right, idiot lights on the dash.

18. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Yes, and when I am racing me and otter drivers also walk the track, but what do we learn?

Firstly, you can only walk a track early morning, or at a lunch break if allowed. So generally you already know the track is green. Early morning we normally kick stones of the track, or check for damp or icy sections.

In what way does that give me updated info about track stats during the day?

It should be as is in real life, you use your brain to acknowledge what track conditions are based on current circumstances.

For example, it's practice 1 at mills in the Renault cup car. First session of the weekend, track temp is 30c, and the forecast is clear for the day. And let's say there are 20 cars going to be driving in the 1 hour session. You can safely assume that after 1 hour the track will be significantly more rubbered in than at the start.

Now let's say practice 2 starts and it pours with rain. You can now safely assume the track has had much of its grip removed.

Like a real driver, you should do a few laps just to get a feel for where the grip is on the track.

A smal indicator would be ok, like:

"track status: dry"
    "condition: Green"

Or

"track status: damp"
    "condition: greasy"

Etc. hope you can see what I am trying to explain.

19. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Ok, ISI:

Back to work, modeling a shoe..! ;)

only joking

20. doug484

doug484 Registered

I agree with you completely. Yes, the driver still has to assemble all this different information in his/her mind to be able to drive the track appropriately.

Besides looking at the track and feeling it with a shoe, the real driver feels the track when their butt is in the seat. Until some clever company can develop a force feedback seat for us that realistically simulates the g-forces we have to depend on what the sim tells us. My own suggestion would be for a sim to give more information to compensate.