The Big Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argo0, Mar 19, 2013.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi,
    Firstly, please don't assume this post means I think negatively of rF2. I think its fantastic, the best sim I've ever played. I just feel the need to plainly state what I think HAS to be improved/implemented, not to make rF2 great, as I feel it already is, but rather to make it complete. The sim that I want it to be.

Roughly in order of which issue would be noticed first.

1. The Mod System. Seems to me to be a bit too convoluted for an average user. I haven't had too many problems with it, but many others do, too many by the look of it, and you don't want to put people off before they've even got started with rF2.

2. The UI. We all know why - it looks awful, dated and 'user-unfriendly'. Its unpleasurable to use and look at. Currently, even just choosing weather requires the patience of a saint.

3. The Garage. I'm not knowledgable enough to confirm this, but I've read enough posts on here to believe some of the info in here is a bit 'dodgy'. It needs to be spot on in all instances. And set up alterations should have the correct effect. Again, I wish I was knowledgable enough to confirm or deny this.

4. The Solitude. Once in the car, there's no communication with anyone. There needs to be at least a voice. Advising when to pit, bit of race info, the odd bit of set up advice etc. Would be a MASSIVE step forward for rF2.

5. Starter and Clutch. Both need to be controlled and used as they would really be in the car thats being simulated. In the higher tech series', this might be a pain in the arse to code and annoying to use. In which case, a compromise should be sought.

6. Graphics. There are many times its a great looking game, up there with the best. Particularly Feels and Tuttles stuff at certain times of day, but a few of the ISI and VLN tracks too. But, at other times it looks grim. Bad colours, bad lighting, bad shadows, bad draw distance, bad models, bad textures, bad light sources (some of the artificial light sources from cars or floodlights are laughable). Such a contrast from when it looks very good to pretty poor. Its the immersion detraction that bothers me, not a childish need for a pretty picture. And a few more frames per second would be much appreciated too.

7. Sound. Many of the engine sounds and tyre sounds leave a lot to be desired. Improvements would put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.

8. FFB. Again, like my point about the garage, I'm not knowledgable enough here. (Like all of these points actually) Its the best I've ever tried, although I thought GSC does some things better. rF2 needs to implement what other top sims do better. Which isn't much. Also, various glitchy stuff varying from wheel to wheel going on.

9. AI. I can see the many improvements and applaud them. But I'm not happy at all to see AI refuse to overtake with a clear speed advantage on a straight. Or watch them queue up behind a wreck thats avoidable. And I'm unsure if they will be able to pit reactively and proactively in a believable manner.

10. The replays. Y'know the story - shadows, draw distances, information (e.g. race position/name of currently viewed driver)

11. Online. Information when choosing which host to join. Make Get Mod work in all instances (again, mostly seems a problem for other users but too many to ignore). The temporary cars that are loaded when someone joins. The chat can be annoyingly laggy.

12. The Mirrors. Alterations I make to seat position, FOV and seat pitch make the virtual mirrors' planes and angles go haywire and unusable. Poor explanation, I know, sorry. Also, the resolution varies. Also, we should be able to enjoy the FPS leap that having virtual but no real mirrors gave us in previous sims. Also, you're supposed to be able to move the real mirrors actual position but this only works in some cars. Great when it works, annoying when it doesn't.

13. Stability. Too many CTD's for too many of us.

14. Damage and Dirt. Deformable body parts, just some generic looking stuff'll do. And some build up on windscrren, tyres and the odd patch of dirt and debris on the track.

15. Tyres. I believe its the case that there's some crucial stuff not being simulated currently (contact patch, wet weather physics, tyre wear appearance, not sure about tyre wear regarding physics)

16. Seasons and Race Results. I'd like to be able to create seasons and choose from preset seasons. And some reaction from the game to race result directly after the race, and information on past races in the UI.

Thats about all I can think of for now, although there are some other physics issues that again, I'm just not knowledgable enough to even describe.

Finally, to end with praise for ISI as I began, I'd like to acknowledge what a huge undertaking this project is and what jaw-dropping work ISI have already done. I have every faith that it will continue. I also realise that most of the stuff above has already been covered by other users and assurances recieved from ISI that it'll be fixed. I believe them.

I just felt the need to remind myself as much as ISI how much still needs to be done in order to feel its not missing something essential.
    I can't comprehend how well ISI have already done, and God knows how they'll get through the above work. I take my hat off to them, I really do.

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I'm not sure about much of the stuff that you say that are the major problems... I believe the only real major problem I see is the trouble with triple screens when HDR is enabled. You can't watch the replay in the game. Strange things happen on the right monitor while not racing and during the loading screen. Other than that .. it is good stuff! These other problems you mention are pretty minor / fixable by mods etc...

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I was just about to post about #12, the mirrors. The Marussia is the first car where I have been unhappy with the default seating position, so I raised it. Now my virtual mirror shows me the pavement a metre behind my car instead of a rear view :(

4. tjc

tjc Registered

You can adjust the mirrors whilst in the car... I got this info from buddhatree but he seems to no longer be on the forums. :(

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Have you tried to adjust your mirrors? With SHIFT+E you can adjust height, try also SHIFT + Q / W / S to move them around.

EDIT: Too slow

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Good post, thanks.

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Ninja`d!

lol :D

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, I know about the mirror adjustment options and I make good use of them but with FOV at 33 and Seat Position at, off the top of my head, +200 forward (needs to be to attain the realistic view I'm after in the Open Wheelers) and Seat Pitch at 5.5000 I think, you get the problem that Marc and I have attempted to describe in the above posts.

9. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 - problems with too few seat and mirror adjustments for low FOV

10. argo0

argo0 Registered

17. Rain Effects. Forgot about this one! Spray, rain on windscreen/visor (when will all the Open Wheelers have Visor option), tyre trails. Also looking forward to the drying line no longer being accelerated. And the rubber build up for that matter. Also, the effects wet weather has on physics is not convincing for all cars and tyre compounds. And we need geographically appropriate random weather options. I think these are the primary reasons why no-one races in the wet online. A lot of us are really looking forward to being able to, but it still looks and feels 'placeholder-ish'.