TH8 RS Thrustmaster

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Golanv, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Got my shifter in the mail yesterday, spended about 3 hours wrestling with it and came to the conclusion that its internal memory is dead and so it cant send nor receive data from.
    Symptoms were quite clear, couldnt install the plug'n'play drivers, couldnt update firmware, device didnt show in control panel nor its own software with manually installed drivers. Rinse and repeat in all my usb ports.

I send an email to Thrustmaster and they said that my assessment is correct and I have two options.
    1) send it back and get a new one from the vendor. 2) they can send me a new main PCB (printed circuit board) and directions how to change it.
    I send them a reply that I'd rather take the new PCB, saves me the hassle to send this one back and also place I bought this one from doesnt have these anymore th8rs on the self so I would be in a long wait to get a replacement. Also I believe they have newer version of the main PCB v2 I believe they call it, so hopefully I get that one incase this didnt have it already.

Anybody else had this same type of issue? DOA or otherwise lose the device from control panel so that it cant be regocniced anymore by windows?
    One post from some forum by someone, said that they lose the device as soon as they try to update the firmware and the way they get it back is to return to the old firmware by using the "bootloader method" which in my case doesnt help.

Absolutely awesome piece of gear, if only it would work. I was so itching to get to drive manual cars again with a proper H shifter but faith as it seems has other plans.

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Hi Golanv,

Very sad for you, I read how you was happy to get this. I own one too and it's very good.

Ok, here some hope: I had the exact same issue with the T500RS, not with the TH8 RS. It worked once at the beginning, I started to update the firmware, and it get stuck during the process. After this nothing was working, really nothing, no Windows detection, no led, nothing, until I decide to use the laptop instead of my desktop. Here it was recognise by windows immediately as an unknown device (because flash was corrupted), so I was able to use the boot loader method, reflash the firmware, and after this it worked fine on my desktop too!

The fact is, when an error occur, Windows don't want to deal with the device any more, even through another USB port, like a kind of blacklist system. The laptop saved me.

So, do you have access to another computer around you, even temporary like neighbourly, friends, etc? it worst to try, really. At least you'll see immediately if Windows see it, and in that case the boot loader method will work, reflash from this new computer and that's it.

My wheel was bought as a second hand and I was really sad and angry against myself to have spend so much money like this, until I tried this.

Anyway, good luck ! the day it will work you'll be amazed by this device, I promise ! Keep Faith :)

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Thanks for the reply.
    I could take it to somewhere and try on another pc, even if I doubt that that would help since it was like this from the first time I connected it to my pc.
    As 'out of box' windows knew what it was dealing with "T500 gear shift bootloader" but it couldnt install anything concerning the device itself and so it was shown as exclamation point AKA not working.

"In case the problems described in your email were encountered when attempting to use the device right out of the box, your assumptions are correct." -Thrustmaster support.

They didnt really explain anywhere how the 'bootloader method' actually works when talking about the TH8 RS shifter. I know in the case of the wheel its holding L2 and R2 down while replugging or something.

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Mmm, ok it's probably dead... Anyway, I was certain my wheel was fully dead as even the red led wasn't ON with the power supply plugged until I test with the laptop. It worst to try to connect on another machine if it's not too complex to find one. Hope you will have a working one soon, it's a very good shifter!

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I'll try it for sure, I have to wait probably a week for the new part anyways.

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Update:
    I got the new main circuit board about 2 weeks ago for the TH8, installed it and the device is working perfectly. Absolutely brilliant shifter, feels very much like a real car shifter and the ability to adjust how much force is needed to change gears makes the shifter adept to everyones needs. Totally worth the money I'd say, and the support at Thrustmaster is as good as it gets.