Terrible VR FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Max Jerry, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Hi everyone! For 4 days now since I got my VR headset I’ve been attempting to fix my FPS issues in RF2. I get about 40FPS average and this makes it almost unplayable in VR. I use a Windows Mixed Reality Lenovo Explorer and my PC should EASILY be capable of good FPS.

GPU is NVIDIA GTX 1060 and CPU is AMD Ryzen 5. I’ve tried all sorts to fix the issue:
    - I’ve turned off anti aliasing
    - I’ve got every single graphic option on low or off
    - I’ve got no programs running in the background, I’ve even uninstalled GeForce Experience
    - I’ve fiddled with Steam super sampling, tried everywhere from 50% to 200%
    - I’ve tried it WITH WMR reprojection and WITHOUT WMR reprojection
    - I’ve tried a clean install
    - Display is HMD only (have tried mirroring too)
    - Correct graphics card is selected in RF2 boot menu
    - Headset driver and firmware is up to date
    - I have tried lowering refresh rate to 60HZ AND 50HZ
    - I have tried setting WMR settings to performance instead of quality

As you can see I’ve tried SO many things, and not one thing has made a difference at all. It’s worth noting that when viewing the advanced VR FPS monitor on SteamVR it’s showing constant blue spikes way above the green zone, which I’ve read is very poor performance. This might make sense if I had a weak PC, but I don’t. It’s powerful and should be coping fine.

I am new to the VR game so I could be doing something wrong or missing something somewhere, so any advice I would greatly appreciate!

Hope everyone’s doing okay,
    Max

2. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Few things to look at first:
    Have you tried any other games in VR, if so how was performance?;
    Check in your player.json file (\common\rfactor2\UserData\player.json) and see if your max-frames are capped;
    Uninstall/re-install SteamVR and Windows MR for Steam;
    "You can observe your GPU/CPU bottlenecking by pressing CRTL+C in game."
    "By pressing CRTL+F, a green bar also appears which indicates GPU memory usage. A thing to look out for if you are running on a 4GB card or less (currently works for Nvidia only)"
    and
    go through this thread:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rmance-guide-on-how-to-prevent-low-fps.61265/

That thread is the first thing I do.
    CPU3600, GPU 5700x, VR Lenovo.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Your GTX 1060 isn't the best for VR, i did a quick bottleneck comparison and the GPU may not be good enough for the CPU, this would cause issues in VR for sure.
    But without knowing exactly what cpu & gpu you have it's hard to say, what's your full specs? Do a Google for bottleneck calculator and see what it says.

bwana likes this.
  4. J0E

J0E Registered

I have a Lenovo Explorer running on a Vega64 and an I79770K. I can't run at Full. I have a number of things (such as rain, shadows, etc.) set at low or off because I don't care about them. I've been running the Formula E lately and with 24 cars at New York, I can keep 90FPS. My settings in game top to bottom are (without the labels because I'm supposed to be working and I don't want to start up the game):
    High
    Medium
    Medium
    Medium
    X8
    Low
    Low
    Off
    Off
    Off
    Off
    Off

One other thing to check is the Windows 10 setting for Mixed Reality. There is a setting in there where you can cap your FPS to 60 FPS (the other options are 90 and Let Windows decide). I experimented with capping it at 60 to see if I could raise some of the other settings, but I didn't get a noticeable improvement in quality vs FPS.

5. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Thank you very much, I’ll check out that thread! I’ve tried a couple of VR games and they perform wonderfully easily over 100FPS - not tried another sim though as I only use/own RF2

6. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

I just checked - it’s actually the 6GB GeForce GTX 1060 I have! I did a bottleneck test and apparently they work great together

Attached Files:

7. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Ahh yes I think I remember trying both those options, I was getting 40FPS both ways

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I have a GTX 1080 + i7 9700K @ 4.9Ghz + 16 go RAM @ 4000Mhz and to have 80 FPS continuously, I lower the graphics enormously, really enormously.

As far as I'm concerned, the GTX 1080 is barely the minimum required for VR.

For a correct experience, you need a 2080 TI or a next RTX 3070 I presume.

I am very disappointed with the performance in VR, and I have not really tested the other games.

But on rF2 the experience is very bad due to the poor performance.

9. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

I’m glad my problem isn’t isolated! It’s a shame isn’t it that even moderately good GPUs can’t handle RFactor 2 VR. Especially considering the money of both VR, and the GPU! 80FPS for me seems right out of the picture, I wish I could somehow get there. I guess my GeForce 1060 just can’t do it. Then again, I have seen people claim they’ve had easily 90FPS with the same GPU! So it’s all very confusing

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No doubt it's content dependent, also some people learn they need to disable rain or other things and then forget they did that when they report their FPS. But I've also seen people on 1050ti or 1060, and with the Lenovo, saying it runs decently. So to some extent it should be possible to make it driveable.

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Screenshot_20200704_093509.jpg @Max Jerry

These settings/race conditions works with 80 FPS 99% of the time with GTX 1080 and i7 9700K.

Nota : that is the supersampling from opencomposite (same oculus debug tool), that means (1440 * 1.25) * (1280 * 1.25) correspond to 150% full hd resolution per eye.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It depends entirely on the Headset and the Specs of the Users system, I ran VR just fine on a GTX970 with a Rift CV1, your "correct experience" quote is also way off, I'm on a 2070Super now and it's just fine with an HP Reverb so I cannot agree with your post at all.

A 1060 is a fairly old card now, when were they released in 2014 was it? Its leaning more towards the lower end of the scale now. Regardless I think it could be your settings in game or elsewhere causing you issues, perhaps even the combo with an AMD CPU.
    What other Sims have you got with VR? Not that comparing is overly worthwhile but if they run poorly as well then you may have your answer.

bwana likes this.
  13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Do you play in rain, sunset/sunrise/night, 30 AI with minimum 10 AI visible? Thats what I wanted to do and it is SO impossible.

Depends also on your hardware ok, your headset ok.

With rift s, above a resolution equivalent to 150% full hd, for me (for me), image quality is not acceptable.

Only way for me with my pretty good hardware and low end headset is :

No rain, 02:00 pm, no timescale, 30 AI max, 6 AI visible, 125% supersampling (below no possible for me), all graphics low or off exept circuit/car/texture detail and anisotrop X16.

But in my opinion we are not talking at all about the same thing :

I am talking about having 80 FPS not 40 with reprojection.

ASW oculus (reprojection) kills immersion :

Artifacts, lack of fluidity, need to activate the stabilize horizon ..... All of this provides a bad VR experience.

I'm talking about disabling reprojection in the case of my graphic settings.

14. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

My GPU is a GeForce GTX 1060, it was released in 2016 apparently - I forgot to mention in my original post it was a GeForce.

I don’t own any other sims - although I have tested a few VR games and they easily went over 100FPS

15. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

I remember trying reprojection and I didn’t see any change on the FPS counter unfortunately, and it also made me feel quite sick.

Yeah similar to me - I’ve been playing with everything on low and off. Just me on the track, no one else

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The only solution is to drive without rain, with an hour around 02:30 PM without timescale, with very little AI (max 15?) Knowing that the performance will be much better if there are 0, 6 AI visible (min)....

You can start from my settings as a base with a lower resolution.....
    But there are other possible combinations which depend on your graphic priorities, you can use this little "tool" to determine them :

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/graphic-adjustment-and-performance-tool.65998/

Good luck !

17. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Thank you for that link! It seems like it could be quite useful - I’ll give it all a go!