Terrible Performence on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gkz, Mar 28, 2014.

1. datanode

datanode Registered

I agree with the ram being a good thing to point at here. Should be a cheap-ish upgrade? Might be worth it, go for 8gb.

16gb is not strictly necessary but 4gb might not run it optimally.

Always be suspicious of your PSU, that can cause all sorts of issues.

What PSU do you have? Is it new and well rated.

I would currently recommend Corsair PSU's. A cs650m should be ok/ reasonable for the system in question. I always prefer head room do if you can stretch to the rm850 that has a good price point ;)

Have you gone through all the other software cleanup and optimisation at all?

2. gkz

gkz Registered

Hi guys,

finally some answers from people that understand PCs. Thank You so much. I just tried some tips you guys gave me, here my first quick results. i still left everything off or low (including HDR) as already at this stage i could see lags before:
    made the nV settings suggested by Luiz De Boni, took NWDogg's advice and set Windows to classic and set the FPS to 70, Windowed mode was already on. Both helped in their own way it seems. Partially doesn't make sense as the GPU is told to do more with the NV settings, but whatever right?

sadly, now there is a new bug on both systems... as soon as AI is added, the entire game stutters and stuff. if I'm alone on a track with your tips, it seemed fine at a first quick look. Don't understand what this is about now.

Anyhow: Thanks to you guys! Glad you come in to join the discussion not telling the same and same story over and over again.Thanks.
    @rest of y'all: .... nah i dont bother, you see it for yourself.

@datanode:
    RAM: it depends how many cars you have on the track and how many details the track has (like Nordschleife on Full). If you keep everything simple, rF2 by itself doesnt eat up much though. Like many other games, 4gb still runs fine. I always checked it so it wont overload my system although windows will warn you by itself. Creating a bigger pagefile may help also (I need it to be 4GB). At the end of the year when the new Intel processors will be out, i plan to update on 4x4GB DDR4 RAM though, optimizing my system for work and gaming simultaneously.
    PSU: This lesson i learned over 10 years ago when i was a young teenager ;) I only buy the better ones offered by the top brands. Right now a CoolerMaster 80+(efficiency that is).

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

4. gkz

gkz Registered

well, as I said, everything is turned off in the graphics department. The other system with an i5/GTX770 has the same issue. Also its not just fps brake down or something, the entire game goes crazy like you would play an online game with 1000+ ping. The game slows down, then goes to warping and back again to slowmotion. Never seen something like this.

5. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Happened to me at COTA with the Vettes...I was in slow motion and all drivers were in normal mode...my lap times was around tyhe 4 minutes mark! This is one of those "unexplained" issues...
    As for the tweaks I wrote, indeed, seems those settings demand more from a system but...THEY WORKED! Go figure...

6. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

set V-Sync to video in config from launcher and in your PLR file located in rfactor/userdata/player

find and use these values

Render Once Per VSync="3" // Attempts to render once per vsync; 1 = use timer, no wait; 2 = use vblank, no wait; 3 = use vblank, wait
    Max Framerate="60.00000" // 0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)

If you run 3D vision it tells me you have a decent 120hz monitor? well just because you have "enough" hz to show all the frames doesn't mean you get a fluid experience, it's probably a 120hz monitor so try halfing that by using 60fps as a cap by doing the step above.

*turn off fxaa and anti aliasing in config from launcher.. It hogs resources.

*Even tho you dont wanna hear it, people have a point - your system is on the low side for running fields of more than 10-15 cars with decent graphics.
    People do however seem to miss the fact that you said FPS was high enough for fluid gameplay, by that you mean above 60 at all times?

*Use CTRL-F ingame to show the ingame FPS if you dont wanna use fraps.

By activating Vsync you will increase input-lag but stutter vs input-lag i'd take input-lag any day.

oh and btw, even tho you are getting help - your attitude is way too in-your-face to recieve any community help what so ever, chill bro.

A game developer cant help single instances all the time, so you're really talking to us, the community.
    It's not an e-mail to Tim or any of the guys in the team so mind your attitude.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

So am I understanding this right, you have brand new control hardware worth about £5000 but a PC of about £500?
    But there is no way it's your PC that is holding you back? And that's because BF3 runs good? And software that uses DX9 is automatically not CPU or RAM intensive, and obviously a motherboard with architecture as old as DX9 will be a perfect match?

I know you asked us not to to give this answer but......
    It's your PC, if I had your control hardware I wouldn't sully the USB plugs by inserting them into the steam driven junk you got going on there buddy. What on earth are you thinking? Stop messing around and buy a PC worth the same as your wheel, it's like you bought a Ferrari but simply refuse to put fuel in it, then get irate if someone suggests you can't drive.

If it isn't your PC it must mean you have made a schoolboy error setting up your OS or drivers or installing the program. If your friends is the same maybe you both have bad installs, did you help set each others stuff up? I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it if I had your spare change though, I'd buy the best of everything and complain if that gave poor performance (which it wouldn't)

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As you haven't told me not to reply to you, slow motion will be the sim dropping out of realtime, which is not unexplanable at all. The CPU reached it's limit for whatever reason, too many visible cars or too high settings, possibly monitoring CPU usage would help in future for this. :)

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I know you don't care my help or opinion, so...have a nice day! :rolleyes:

10. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Absolutely no hard feelings on you Tim, I hope the same from you to me.
    I know you're doing the best you can to help all users...I already said it in another topic...
    But sometimes the issue is in the user's end indeed, but sometimes it's in ISI's end...
    Fact is that something went terribly wrong for me (and meny..) after B382...
    So yes, maybe my rig reached its limits, although I think it wasn't supposed to be so...
    So I just stopped complaining and I'm upgrading my rig...around US$ 800 spent here in Brazil, just to be able to play rF2!
    New MB, new CPU, new RAM...That would give you an idea of how much I love this game.
    But I'm still not sure if this upgrade will erradicate my issues, since I read here in these forum that many up-to-date rigs are still having problems..
    Anyway, I'll give it a try...won't be worst than what I have been experiencing with the game last months...I hope (and pray to...):rolleyes:

11. gkz

gkz Registered

What hardware did you buy and what are your results?

12. gkz

gkz Registered

I can assure you one thing: My system is completley clean, and perfectly set up software wise. I build my own PCs and set them up since I'm 16. I read guides how to do that and inform myself quite well. To the other i5/770GTX system. This machine runs ANYTHIING else (like mine but obviously better) perfectly fine. I just wonder how come on his PC on AssettoCorsa high settings in 3D Vision and 20AI's on Monza his game looks and feels fluid, and on rF2 we have to configure somany things so both have at least a halfway fluid experience. And AssettoCorsa runs with less FPS on those kind of settings.

Something just doesnt feel right on rF2 in one regard: It seems the rate in which the Tracks updates is less then what the car is doing. I can't explain this feeling otherwise. I optimized the nVidia Control Panel settings, that helped a lot. But even so after testing it with all the effects off and other things on low, there are still parts of the game where it seems just off performance wise. And EVERY game will run fluid when you turn all the graphics down. It all started since the 400ish builds if i recall right. dont know exactly, sorry.

By the way, how do I monitor CPU usage in real time on rF2 ? Or do you refer to the task manager?

13. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Specs updated, @gkz!
    Now I can run all settings in Medium/High, game is flowing perfectly!
    I also got a new Modem from my ISP, not a single disco since...

14. datanode

datanode Registered

One has to accept and open up to possibilities. Explore all avenues. The first statement and this one quoted both irradiate a large possible cause of this issue.

The machine or anything you could have done.

We are trying to help you in an open way. We don't care what reason is causing the slowness. Just if we can help.

Which leaves one thing the software, but with some people getting good performance this seems contradictory. I think there should be further investigation.

If it were me I would methodically go through things and ask open questions.

1. Reinstall rfactor / reinstall drivers.
    2. Backup profile / plr try a fresh one
    3. Try different settings (see if you can compromise, you'd be surprised)
    4. Investigate required hardware (if no compromise/working solution)
    5. Build new machine via informed choices and purchases
    6. Regardless of how you got here you should be enjoying it :)

Press control+f a couple of times graphics

And control+c histograms cpu

Read the following for more details;

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...hat-does-it-show?p=32001&viewfull=1#post32001

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014