Terrible Performence on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gkz, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Hello,
    right now I'm just more then frustrated with rFactor 2 dear ISI team.

I dont know why, but this is the only sim (and videogame in general for that matter) I can't run properly.
    Fraps aswell rF2 ingame FPS counter shows me 60-80fps in 3D Vision for each picture but it looks and feels like I'm having 15fps and major stuttering issues. This is now for a long time that way. Every other sim runs perfectly smooth with mid-high graphics. Assetto Corsa, highly modded rF1 maxed out and big field of cars, GameStockCar 2013 and big field of cars: all high fps with an enjoyable performance and graphics, just rF2 wont run properly no matter what. I even tried to set everything on off or low in graphics settings and I even don't see any difference in FPS or general smoothness of the game itself, it's just terrible to say the least.

The only way I found out today to run it barely acceptable is if EVERYTHING including HDR,FXAA turned off or set to low, and in player PLR max Framerate="60.00000" - but even after that its not nearly as smooth as the other sims, its just ridiculous

So much time passed and I hoped later builds would fix that issue for me, didn't started this game for months, but it just seems it got even worse. Meanwhile I reset my PC with a fresh system install on a Samsung Pro 840 SSD on which also my rF2 install is located. So it's not that either. Here my full system specs:

Monitor: Acer GD245HQ @120Hz, tested all VSync types including setting it off. Makes no difference.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2GHz - don't tell me the CPU is ****, because I can run everything else without problems and other software is more demanding then rF2 with some graphics that look worse then rF1 without mods
    GPU: Palit GTX 560Ti Sonic - don't tell me the GPU is ****, because I can run everything else without problems and other software is more demanding then rF2 with some graphics that look worse then rF1 without mods
    RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR3 in Dual Channel
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
    System and rF2 installed on a dedicated partition on a Samsung Pro 840 SSD
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar U7

Thank You

2. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm not saying your GPU is ****, but it's really on the weak side to run 3d vision with. Most users have SLI with 3dvision or a newer generation card. As mentioned here, you basically need double more FPS to run things smoothly in 3d vision and 240 fps is not very achievable with that card on rF2. rFactor is a game from 2005, you can't really compare it with rFactor2. Have you tried running Assetto Corsa with 20 cars? AC runs quite well when you are alone on track, better than rF2, but with AI added it's even worse on my PC.

Regarding stuttering, I get it a bit on some tracks, on most I don't. It seems the last few builds have made it worse for some users. But anyway, I would not even attempt to run rF2 or any 2014 game with 3d vision, and my card is 660 GTX.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Your post prohibits most people from telling you what the problems are. If you want help, ask for it without placing limitations on those helping you. They are - shockingly - helping you.

4. gkz

gkz Registered

Also I discovered that even if I set everything to off/low that it works in Singleplayer, but not Multiplayer.

It depends what you try to run and on what settings, I honestly don't see anything rF2 does that demands a high end computer. Battlefield 3 in 3D Vision worked perfectly in Co-Op for example. And with all due respect - rF2 is a DX9 game that is from 2014 and looks like a game from 2008. And if rF1 runs 100 times smoother with all the mods and maxed out settings and full field then rF2 with EVERYTING turned off/low and no field at all, I think rF2 just does something horribly wrong.

As i expected this would be your answer :) It's no help at all to tell: hey go buy yourself a new 1800$ PC for this NASA program called rF2 .... This is not help. Maybe we all should buy 2 times a year the newest hardware to run this game? cmon! I wrote you my FPS. Both answers ignore a simple fact. The FPS are sufficient enough to run a game smooth. How come every other game works just fine? Magic?

My buddy right next to me sits with an i5 2500K Sandy Bridge and a 770GTX Sonic and he also notices that its not smooth enough. And I tell you one more thing, even in 2D with 100+ FPS the game doesnt feel really smooth. ISI never takes responsibility for their garbage they call rFactor 2. Seriously - I regret my purchase every day more I've done 12 months ago! To any complaint or criticism you receive your answer is always either the guy can't drive (in regards of physics) or pc is weak (in regards of performance issues). Really am sick of this. Even worse my preconception of you from past months just got confirmed.

P.S. I've got myself a Bodnar Wheel and HE Sim Pedals the last weeks so it's no money problems I'm raging about and I won't invest anything more in my hardware for your non optimized crap software. Will gladly do for AC when it gets there.
    P.P.S. Fix the AIW for Loch Drummend.
    P.P.P.S. Releasing a new car with the Panoz and using damped C6R sounds for it is the most amature thing in sim-racing history
    P.P.P.P.S. Get yourself finally a Nordschleife license you lazy bunch, and dont relax on the communities work you rely on entirely! The com8 version is anyting but accurate and way to out dated. (still of course stellar work for a complete scratch build track without professional tools though) I hope Kunos will forbid any conversions what so ever like SimBin did. You just dont deserve it in terms of content.

5. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

[​IMG]

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I think this is more of someone trying to get issues off of their chest rather than someone who actually needs/wants help.

7. gkz

gkz Registered

Did your speech center broke down that you need moronic random internet pictures to express yourself on forums that use words?
    Yes I am getting issues off my chest when every answer in this forum is "buy hardware" or "you cant drive". So either add information or give solutions to the before mentioned problems or do your recreational psychological forum analysis elsewhere.Or is the ISI forums the "no complaint area" on the internet for paying customers? ISI and rF2 in combination are treated like the bible in Vatican City.

8. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

kind of lol

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I have a CPU from 2009 (i5-750) and mid-range GPU from 2013 (GTX 660) and I get no stuttering on ISI tracks/cars, all smooth on high/full settings. Explain that. The rest of the post is just trolling which is begging for a forum ban.

10. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

You say you have no money problems so i don't get your problem with rf2 iam sorry. :(

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Please drop the attitude.... people want to help, but if you have such a ****ty attitude then you don't deserve help.

Your post is coming across in an aggressive manner.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

13. rer8

rer8 Registered

I like the 3d glasses... think I will go make some pop corn. Thanks D. BTW, Just built new computer... EVERYTHING works, including rFactor 2. Loving it!

:)

14. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well here is a simple solution...Uninstall rF2!

15. gkz

gkz Registered

Since when it turned out that this post is about your rf2 experience? If by trolling you mean it's forbidden to criticize a product you paid for, yes - please ban me. Also it's ignored that a i5 2500K + 770GTX Sonic combo that experiences same kind of stuttering performance, though not as heavy as on my PC of course.

Sorry, where do you see help in here?
    Just the simple fact that everyone ignores the mentioned FPS that provide a steady and smooth performance in any other game regardless the genre and shows that something's wrong with the rF2 graphics engine tells the whole story of the provided help especially by ISI. Also it's ignored that a i5 2500K + 770GTX Sonic combo that experiences same kind of stuttering performance, though not as heavy as on my PC of course. But still the same result, not a smooth experience you need for sim-racing.

If I needed help buying new stuff I'd go to guru3d and then amazon. I'd expect help in terms with game profiles and config tweaks that could solve or better the situation.

???????????? I dont get this message at all

I dont even understand why you bother to be here, your time though, have fun.

I coudln't be happier for you. Don't know what is has to do with my posts, though. And also don't see any help in it.

Tremendous help, congratulations and thank you so much! You should work at AT&T or something....

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I am, a bit. its mildly entertaining to see how you shoot yourself in the foot from the get-go and then continue to burry your own grave as you proceed.

Its also somewhat sad though because the chances of you getting any reasonable help is diminishing rapidly and yet there is so much potential of you getting your problems fixed here. ironic.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes... but if you come across like you are jumping down people's throats then it is no wonder you received sarcastic responses to your questions!

18. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Your CPU is fine, I have the same one (at 3.4ghz, but that's not a big difference.) Your GPU should be just fine...I run with a GTX760 now, but I also used a GTS 450 up until a couple months ago with no problems at all. Your RAM is a bit on the low side, not sure if that would cause your issue though.

Since I've ran rF2 just fine with less, here's a couple suggestions that might help. First, the biggest thing that helped my system was switching from Fullscreen mode to Windowed. I don't know why, or how, but it helped a LOT with FPS and smoothness. Just set your in-game res to the same as your desktop (or vice-versa), and it is fullscreen anyway. I know it also doesn't help everyone, so your mileage may vary.

Next, and this one is also debatable, is setting the .plr FPS limit to 70.000 instead of 60.000. Again, doesn't work for everyone, but for me this setting took away all the screen tearing I experienced, and kept the FPS nice and steady above 60, instead of dropping below and stuttering.

Turn off Windows Aero. Go with Classic setting when running rF2, it will help keep resources cleared up for rF2 (especially with only 4GB of system RAM.) Also, I'm sure you probably realize this, but don't run any other software while running rF2. You need all the resources you can squeeze out of your system.

After that, just drop graphic settings and bring them back up one by one until you find a combination that gives good enough visuals with steady FPS. This, of course, is necessary with any game on any system, but rF2 has a lot of different ways to balance visuals with FPS. I know it is possible to run rF2 at a nice, steady FPS with good visuals with a pretty low-end system (not the best visuals of course), so you and your friend should be able to get it running nicely by just tinkering with it for a bit, and following some advice from the multitude of Tech help threads here. I hope one of the suggestions I gave helps you out.

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Your most welcome, thanks for the sugestion if I ever move to the states I will consider it.

20. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

@gkz, I understand your frustation...I was in the same situation, although rF2 worked just perfectly for me till B392.

The ONLY useful help I had on the game came from a very good friend from a league I race in (I just do leagues, so racing against AI don't mind me at all).
    I'm sure he will not be opposed if I post here his tweaks he did for my rig ...those tweaks enhanced 100% the game's performance and I don't have stuttering/freezes anymore:

-> Got to NVidia control panel -> set anisotropic filtering to 16x -> set antialiasing to enhance application -> set antilaising to 8X
    -> Set power management to prefer max performance - > tex filtering neg lod to clamp -> texture filtering quality to high quality
    -> All rest leave at default and make notes of your original setting so you can go back.

->start rf2 go to config setup the one that you set resolution etc. -> set antialiasing to level 4 (experiment with higher and lower).
    -> try lowering video resolution to one your monitor supports (1920 x 1080 is high for these vid cards a and cpu combo)
    NOTE, I am using 1360x768 Widescreen...

-> in Game settings: leave soft particals off -> leave environment ref off or low

I got all on Medium excpet frot TRACK DETAIL that is in High, game is flowing preety fine.
    The only problem now is that I'm having CTDs for no particular reason...no logic on them...
    I raced a F3 Sparks in a league with 15 drivers and all was fine.
    Today I tried to race in another league with the Vettes with also 15 drivers and got CTD 5 minutes before qualy and just couldn't rejoin: kept getting that stupid message ("rFactor stopped working, windows is trying to blablabla...".
    In fact I was able to rejoin but as soon as all cars were loaded the game crashed...many and many times...was in 2nd in FLt so you can imagine my "hapinness" with this game...

All these "your rig is bad...buy a new one" answers are really a PITA...BTW, as you may have noticed, some folks with NASA computers are having the same problems we're having, so who can guarantee that buying a new rig will make us able to play AND enjoy rF2???