Telemetry Plugin: Adding max theorical speed?

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Stan, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi everybody, as said in the title, I would like to add the max theorical speed of a driven vehicule (possibly based on the gear setup) to the rf2 exemple plugin... is it "possible"? Of course, if yes, could you please give me a clue?
    Thanks in advance to those who could help

Stan.

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

What is the "rf2 exemple plugin"?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Depends what you mean by "add the max theoretical speed of a driven vehicle". What are you planning to add it to, exactly?

Max gearing speed you can probably calculate using current speed, RPM, max gear number, and max RPM available. All of those are available to plugins.

But that completely ignores aero drag which could give you a completely different actual top speed, and then engine power (at a specific RPM) is also important. It's not easy to reliably come up with a maximum speed figure for a car based on telemetry.

4. Stan

Stan Registered

@Lazza: First of all, thanks for taking time to reply me, I just want the plugin to be able to report the max speed you can find in the garage setup, the value that is evaluated in the array of the gear setup /ratio. Thanks again (and thanks for all your mods and your dedication).

@Ho3n3r: It's the "expemple plugin" given by ISI for those who want to build their own plugin...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Ho3n3r likes this.
  5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is not available and it is not so straight forward to calculate it. You need to know the resistive forces acting on the vehicle. At car top speeds these are mainly aero forces. You also need to know the resistance from the tires to the track which can be affected by camber and convergence settings.

Of course for each road slope the situation is different. Car weight pushing or pulling the car makes a big difference.

In any case the calculation of this parameter is useless most of the times. The required straight to typically achieve this max speed is about 2 km.

My recommndation would be. To test the different wing and gear ratio settings and check the speed at the end of the main straight. You might find that a car with a theoretical lower top speed is faster in that straight compared to the overall max speed configuration.

6. Stan

Stan Registered

@Euskotracks: Thanks for your reply (and all your tracks), I understand that if I want something accurate, I need all the calculation you are talking about, but what I want is just the reporting of the value exposed in the gear setup array. Anyway, thanks again.

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

@Stan do you refer to the graph that appears when selecting gears?
    If so, I agree it could have a little better resolution. However that graph is unaffected by rear wing settings and does not provide anything close to a max speed. It just refers to the speeds at given rpm limit and gear ratios on which the graph is solely based.

For what you are asking you would need an external program similar to car stat where you could also specify the setup (svm)
    For sure Studio 397 could also import it ingame but I am not sure if it's worth it.

8. Stan

Stan Registered

Yes Euskotracks, it's the graph that I am referring to... as most of the time the mods comes with a gear setup that allow more or less to reach the vehicle top speed, and that I don't need something more accurate, I thought that I could just retrieve the computation of this graph.
    Like for exemple, real cars (street cars) don't have settable gear ratio and the theorical max speed could be find from the conjunction of gear setup/ratio and power (Edit:... and wheel base), so finaly, as it seems to be on the rf graph.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Then it would be really easy.

Studio 397 is now in the way to modernize the game UI among many other changes. Hopefully they will modify this graph so that it is more clear... Good timing for arising the topic!

10. Stan

Stan Registered

So if there is no way to retrieve this graph data now, let's hope they'll read this topic and come with an aswer a day or another... thank you Eusko and anyway, thank to Studio-397 for finaly giving to rf2 the care it deserve...

Stan.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, definitely can't get that from a plugin. A plugin can pull the ratios from the current setup file as soon as you jump in the car, but then it would need to have you rolling along so it can check the clutch RPM vs speed ratio, then expand that out to max RPM and the max gear ratio to calculate the maximum speed. But by the time you let all that happen you might as well just grab a calculator and do it manually.

Well, no, that's actually a perfect example of why often what you're asking for isn't realistic. The graph just shows what the gears can do; the majority of cars never reach maximum RPM in top gear because aerodynamic drag prevents it. Street cars especially tend to be geared to run fairly low RPM at highway speeds, while F1 cars for example even before the hybrid era weren't normally set up to reach the rev limit in the highest gear - partly because maximum power is always at lower RPM, and partly because you need to allow extra room for slipstreaming.

To calculate the actual achievable top speed you'd need the gear ratios, engine curves (including ram effects, and turbo parameters if present), tyre size (including dynamic considerations), tyre rolling resistance (which is buried within the model, not a simple parameter like in rF1), aero drag parameters for the car itself and for the current aero setup, and even the level of downforce expected at 'top speed' so you can factor that in to the tyres' rolling resistance, radius, and grip.

In short, the game would need to calculate this and display/provide it.

12. Stan

Stan Registered

@Lazza: ..."The graph just shows what the gears can do"... also in conjunction with the max rpm... and it's just that value that I want to retrieve... this "theorical" max speed shown in the graph... an approximation... anyway, thank you

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I understand that the OP simply wants to know the speed that matches rpm limiter at highest gear.

For many vehicles this value is adjusted slightly above the maximum speed that is reached for that track and car combo.

In any case I must say that despite the lack of accuracy (a grid would be welcome to help determining more accurately speed at rpm limit for each gear) I have no problem adjusting it.

If first guess is getting too long or too short a second iteration will meet the optimum gear.

14. Stan

Stan Registered

Wrong post

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  15. Stan

Stan Registered

Ok Eusko, I do this too (the second iteration to meet optimum gear setting), but for this topic it's not my purpose, but again, thank you