TechRadar- "5 racing games that nailed realistic driving physics – and 3 that didn't"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 3, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I'm serious dammit. I was born to do one thing, and that's race. Didn't get the opportunity (yet?) because this world we live in is so ****ed up and unfair, that's all. If the market didn't crash in 2001 forcing my dad to sell my midget (I was 7 and was faster than the 12-14 year olds with unrestricted engine) who knows where the hell I'd be right now, at age 23. But instead, I'm sitting being a goddamn loser at my grandmothers house after being kicked out of my dads because I refused to move into a "sober living" place after I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt (seriously, and what the hell does sober living have to do with depression god dammit??) while I have it in my BLOOD to be one of the best racers ever. And no, I'm not insane lol. I was depressed because I had no friends and nothing to live for. Just a loner with a ****ty job and a computer. I've known one thing my whole life, and that's SPEED. Was never meant to do anything else. My autistic spectrum disorder is probably what makes me so "savant" at driving, but it also is a curse, believe me. I can never even THINK about having a girlfriend. EVER.

And now y'all will laugh at me and talk about what a loser I am and how I'm a crybaby pussy f*ggot and al that ****. Go ahead, I'm used to it. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  2. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Yes it did, when I first tried AC, because until then, I have only tried titles LFS or rF1. AC was the most amazing from these 3. I still often find it very fun to "throw around" road cars in AC. Drifting/sliding is fun there. I have started driving in rF2 only later and I had to put some time in it to appreciate the depth of physics, hence it didn't give an instant "amazing" feeling.

Currently none sims do that, because I got used to all of them (that I use). Maybe new/updated cars (for example CPM updates) in rF2 can do that for a limited period of time until again I get used to them. Thought driving very fast cars on a good track can make "hairs to stand up" regardless of how deep the physics is.

3. samuelw

samuelw Registered

The article seems mis-titled. Per the article only 2 or 3 nailed physics, two have relaxed physics, and 3 are games.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Imo its pretty accurate titled: It's a trade-off between realism and playability
    Much of this is cause of all the butthurt in the many discussions we see on the interweb.

Adding Mario Kart was nothing short of funny though :)

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sorry PY never read between the lines.

I can only add then many drivers have overcome insurmountable odds for their dream. ;)

No I do not think anything is loser about the idea mate.

You ask how.......
    Too late for that you could get set for 2016 series

First stage sounds like you just need to be good enough, I think you would have a good a chance as any I know Pearce.

I assume "organized within GT" means open to all for pre-qualifiers. ?

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

"simulations aim to be as realistic as possible, recreating real-world conditions whether or not it makes the experience more or less enjoyable.

Games, meanwhile, place an emphasis on, well, having fun. And if you're a game developer wanting to maximise enjoyment for the player, then compromises on realism will almost certainly be necessary.
    "

I just thought that was a great quote from the link. I only got about a quarter of the way through but from what I did read it didn't seem like a mudslinging article.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I took my lead from the first reply wrongly assuming he had read it. lol ( oh he had p )

But again sort of have to agree with Emery , nothing noteworthy or ground breaking there.

As discussed earlier about a pro tester for me it is like a Car & Track reviews or one by Plato as examples, they actually convey good sense of what they are feeling.

I just don't get that from sim reviewers at this time.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I think it would have been better said...

I for one fit into the more realism = more fun category (well at least from all my racing and flying game experiences).

Having said that though I could see myself equally enjoy both opposite ends of the realism spectrum. It could just be that i've yet to find that (intentionally) non-realistic racing game that is as fun to me as the most realistic racing game. Others mileage may vary.

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

TechRadar- "5 racing games that nailed realistic driving physics – and 3 that...

What happened to AC? I literally cannot remember the last time I played it before someone today on an rF server mentioned he was going to go play AC. Feels a LOT better now. Drove Lotus 49, F40 and Cobra. Wonder what changed and, curiously, did Kunos know their physics sucked all along and were working to fix or did they learn something new, etc....

Ferrari GTO is TERRIBLE, though...

10. vali

vali Registered

I read the article a couple of days ago and thought the same. The rF2 section have more "in depth" comments and the others seems like, "yeah, there are other sims and we need to say their names to make a list".

Of all of the "top simulator" lists you can find around, this is probably one of the best.

11. QUF

QUF Registered

The way you describe it, sounds like in the early months they had one set of physics, and nowadays a different set. It is pretty much the same, what changed are some details on tyres and other car/game physics components. Is enough to give you a different impression on the car handling. But is the same with all the other sims. If you play iracing, rf2, rre, ac, gsce, you'll notice they all had game physics and car physics upgrades in some aspects through the times, sometimes just on the details. Doesn't mean that what was before was unrealistic, but probably nowadays they found a better approach/new data that suggests certain aspects to be made a bit differently. And might happen again in the future. And for v1.3 again new aspects will be updated compared to current and previous versions. Same thing with rf2 current build, there are cars that nowadays drive a bit differently compared to initially and even midway in the project.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yeah it is indeed as if something fundamental has changed but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, still difficult to get wheel spin on power...

13. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

I suposed it is not to laugh because 100% sure im translating wrong but "midget" does not means a really small person?
    Edit: Wtf? Midget means what i thought loool
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midget

I don't trust in my dad if he sold my midget... What an absurd. I love my midget and i keep it under my bed ahahaha

Hello Pearce. What i'm missing? English isn't my first language. :p

14. Emery

Emery Registered

15. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

:( i should know it was too good to be true
    Thanks

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You tell people a motherboard is pcie2.0 they waffle on for another day about pcie3.0

Can't see what is right in front of their faces

hehehe ;)

I was joking about Plato you know that ...........Why would I listen to anyone review rF2 let alone him ?

I am not the one needs convincing.

17. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yes. The American Midget cars. And sorry about that post hahahaha I haven't slept in 4 nights so I'm quite delirious lol. Anyway, I doubt I could do anything in gran turismo, because Like i said, my real talent is in a real car. Bring your subaru or lancer to a curvy dirt road, and I could beat you in my piece of crap anytime. And people say you can't drift a front wheel drive. HAHAHA funny.

Well, whatever. I can't afford a PS3 anyway.

18. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Is the information about GT Academy using rF2 true?

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It says that gt academy drivers use rF2 to prepare real races. In order to qualify for gtacademy you still need GT6.

Not surprising at all!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk