Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Even if the animations of the vegetation are very basic, is it technically possible to have this (as in the video) in rF2, especially for the Nordschliefe ?

I think that it is rather a good thing (OK NOT THE ULTIMATE PRIORITY :) ), as well as the "true" (in quotation marks) grass of which one discussed so much on this forum.

@Marcel Offermans

2. Corti

Corti Registered

Monza 3 years ago :rolleyes:

3. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello, since it is been a long time without any update or news, I decide to make some small improvements to the existing version (main file based on v0.13, texture files based on v0.1).
    And thank to all who worked and shared this wonderful track, all credits to original authors.

New DL link and changelog is updated in post #422

Screenshots:
    365960_20200911144250_1.jpg 365960_20200911144118_1.jpg 365960_20200911143635_1.jpg 365960_20200911143259_1.jpg 365960_20200911142928_1.jpg 365960_20200911163618_1.jpg 365960_20200911163658_1.jpg

------------------------
    Editing memo:
    1. _output.scn is included inside each object .MAS file for easy batch editing(with 3dsimed) without losing pivot point.
    2. texture batching code with imagemagick (reduce brightness): -modulate 100,90,100 +level 0%,60%
    3. GMT material batching with 3dsimed (further adjust brightness): Diffuse RGB 808080, Ambient RGB 808080

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. philrob

philrob Registered

Just ran track, great improvement on previous version.Great work on this, thank you.

Corti and svictor like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Wow, you have been very productive lately. Thanks for uncovering all these tracks, Anglesey, Big Willow, and now resurrecting Targa. The last time I have drove full lap on Targa was in rF1, and I loved it. Looking forward to it now, already reserving 40minutes, which I hope will be enough for first lap with Porsche 910 equivalent we do for 1967 Endurance mod.

One note: Google Chrome didn't like the link and refused to download as potential threat, but I have launched MS Edge browser and downloaded, I hope there are no threats :D

svictor likes this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can you put it on Steam workshop?

pascom and vegaguy5555 like this.
  7. svictor

svictor Registered

I don't know... probably need permission to do that, and would be best that original authors could help.

There are still a lot things could be improved, such as update road surface (subdividing and splitting for real road, will take a lot time). Unfortunately I have another long conversion occupied and couldn't spend much time atm.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@svictor

Thank you very much for your investment.

The layout of this track is absolutely EXCEPTIONAL.

The sets are also magnificent even if in the previous version the graphics were outdated (for the moment I don't have tested your version).

It's a fantastic choice to have chosen to work to improve this specific track.

Due to its height difference and its layout, this is what comes closest to a rally track on rF2 (with pleasant graphics).

Very good initiative !!!

EDIT :

I wish there were a few chicanes in the long straight.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    svictor and Corti like this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So this is released without the authors permission? Hmmmmm how strange.

10. Corti

Corti Registered

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Uploading to workshop is different thing, updating without permission couldn't be considered great, but I think this should be given permission, otherwise it would be not only abandoning this content, but also locking it. Original creators are from GPL era. It is big gang of people including all people who made an inputs with conversions too...

I just drove one full lap with "not 911s", just to refresh memories and learn track little bit. I was enjoying it very much, at first I was driving properly, not too fast it was super immersive, in the second half I started being impatient and begun going faster and started doing mistakes, finished in 45minutes with badly damaged "not 911s".

I thought the track is great. Feel of road is awesome, it feels rich and alive. If it doesn't have realroad, I suppose it is not necessary for this track, with this length I would doubt it could have ever had properly rubbered groove. Actually having fully saturated groove for this track would probably be unrealistic. Despite the track being very long (which means low amount of laps would have been achieved), the track is also mainly consisting of medium/slow turns, which does not make tires work very hard, and thus would be embedding less rubber into the tarmac. So it is perhaps better not to have it to save on work hours and performance. Most importantly road feels really good.

Modeling of this track has aged well. It is clearly dated, but it looks good anyway. If we could talk of improvements, I'd suppose possibilities of improving various materials and carefully selected textures not to take away any charracter and authenticity. Track could use some more vegetation, some more extra features to make some places to stand out more. The 2D barriers and wall line of grass right besides road are perhaps the most ancient elements from this track. Some hill holding walls seem too thin and structurally wrong and not really supporting anything which is strange. This track being very light, has potential to get perhaps 5x more detailed.

Unfortunately I don't see anybody possibly getting any permissions. AFAIK guys who were working on updated version for AC years ago were denied while being progressed rather far, and afaik now are working on all new version. Personally IMO the main persmission givers should be the original creators, and not the convertion makers, of course converting must be respected as it might include a lot of work and improvements as well, but converting content doesn't make converter a full owner of it IMO.

All this mess being said... now... anybody know laptimes from 1967 ? I was able to find only few :/

svictor and Corti like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Quote from opening post last edited by the end of 2013. And 6e66o was last seen on these formus back in 2016, probably waited for 3 years, people say thats how long real love lasts :D

13. svictor

svictor Registered

To clarify, it is in the first post of this thread that had written:
    That's why I have provided the link to updated file, as well as all the original readme.txt and credits to original author. Nevertheless, maybe I misunderstood something about this statement. I'll take off the link now. Thanks again.

14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

15. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry for the trouble. I'll try to reach out original GPL authors meanwhile.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

chicane may be the word you are searching for. Brilliant work sir!

17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Ohh thats the same word than french, thats what google translate doesn't work.

18. Corti

Corti Registered

chicane is Spanish too :D

19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Lol like Dave said, "brilliant work sir" :D

20. svictor

svictor Registered

It is possible to build road crossfall, which should add more variation and realism, as well as construct with proper road surface subdivision.

Corti and Mauro like this.