Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

An "albedo map" is the same as a diffuse map but adjusted (darkened, desaturated) to make it look realistic in a hdr gfx engine.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/21057-Texture-maps-and-color-saturation

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  2. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks so much guys, just for looking into it even. This track means so much to me, and many others.

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Yes! Quite so!!

4. myself9

myself9 Registered

Well, after the little fiasco this morning of trying to only replace the texture files, I've got a working rfcmp ready to roll.

I didn't want to take this approach originally because I don't feel qualified enough to be releasing a "version".
    This is apparent in ballooned size of the file I've exported. It's gone from ~200mb to ~500.
    I know why this happened but, in the interest of instant gratification, I'm not planning to dig through the 1800 files anytime soon. At least not without being part of a larger group who's working to move the course forward in development.

My goal was to just make the existing track usable for the short term. Which I have done, and I think it looks pretty good.

In short -- if anyone is planning on working on this course, stick with the original dev files in the first post of the thread.

If there are any objections to this "temporary" version, feel free to ask me to pull it down.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  5. Justy

Justy Registered

Leg-end! Thankyou so much!

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

@myself9
    I have started to separate the road mesh from the terrain mesh. This will take some time. To make it a bit easier (and faster) I will first merge 10 terrain gmt's into one file, so I should end up with 190 instances instead of 1900. After that I cut and paste the road and road edge materials and create a new racesurface gmt for each terrain gmt. When done I can apply the real road shader to the racesurface. It's not perfect, because the road mesh is not up to today's standards, but it will look much better and we have a basic real road with wet reflections.
    Has anybody an idea how to quickly enhance the density of the road mesh and add some random height variation to it (maybe a max script)?

7. myself9

myself9 Registered

Excellent, Tosch!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out on the PhotoShop side of things

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Man, you guys are epic. :cool:

9. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks guys

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Amazing, so Targa has a third life :)

11. marcatore

marcatore Registered

In 3dsmax you could try to add a meshsmooth modifier with quad output as tessellation mode.
    About the random height variations you could try a noise modifier paying attention to not apply it on the vertices at the boundary. In this way you preserve the connections with the terrain geometries.

12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks for your work on this track, i do like to drive this track every so often.

I think I have an answer for this. You have packed up your other track Transfagarsan_North with it, making it double the size.

13. myself9

myself9 Registered

OMG hahaha! :p

Wow. Serious rookie mistake.
    Deleted the "early access bonus content" and re-uploaded the file.

If someone would be so kind as to check out the download and load up the course real quick it would be greatly appreciated.
    Worked fine on my machine but I didn't get to triple check everything since I was suuuuuuper late for work and had to run.

LINK
    (previous link updated as well)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  14. myself9

myself9 Registered

On the upside, the "bad practices" I lazily used when converting the files -- which I thought were the reason for the increase in file size -- increased the file size less than 20mb.

15. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

ha, you don't have to make yourself late for work for us lot :D.
    Tested track, working good.
    Tried it with the Palatov D4 Hillclimb car, I ran out of fuel 80% round the track with full tank of fuel, forgot how big track is :D.
    Colours are good now.
    DJC

16. myself9

myself9 Registered

Passion dictates that my hobbies take priority over most mundane responsibilities :)

Thanks for testing it out!!!

17. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks very much for the updated textures. Hope someone can do the road mesh.

18. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Have a look into the old Nords thread. Pleclair experimented with different passes of mesh smoothing and another technique which purpose was to increase the mesh resolution. (Can't remember the name oft this technique...or was it a script from Mario Morais?)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Tosch, if you PM georg, I believe he still has a mesh I started working on a long while ago before we parted ways :)

20. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Yes i also remember a posting, with something that looked like a Assetto Corsa road mesh, but can't find the thread anymore. It was with screenshots.

Edit: I've found it, but sorry, i was wrong. It wasn't here in ISI forum. Follow this link -> click
    Nevertheless the technique which Abulzz is using, could help here too. Or maybe someone could ask him, if his updated Targa Florio road mesh could be used for rF2 too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015