Taming Radical SR3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Comante, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I second the notion of real road, and thanks for the setup tips. I will try Silverstone too , as on zandvoort I've spent a lot of time already

2. jayk

jayk Registered

Ah ok i saw the real road settings and set it to heavy. I have no idea what that ment but i saw various options and though it ment how rubbered in the circuit is. I guess thats why in practice the car felt ok but in just going straight to the race it felt like driving on ice.

I need to get my head around it. Ideally I'd want to jump into practice have no AI and a rubbered in grippy track ready to set lap times.

3. Comante

Comante Registered

You can set the practice as "private", so the AI is there lapping but it won't disturb your driving. In practice you can start with a real road setup like "light preset", and in the next session set it as "naturally progressing", you can even change the real road time scale, to better match your experience on the real track (if you see that the real track rubber up slower or faster than the simulation for example) . Having AI on private practice let you see how fast they go, so you can tune their skill on yours or on the laps other people will make at the real track, restarting the weekend will update their driving skill, thus their laptimes. But you should not try too hard to match laptimes with the real track, as they always be different, but surely you could get and idea. It would be really nice after your trackday to have a feedback if you feel that the experience you had with handling was compatible with what the simulation suggested you, offcourse it won't be the same, but at least it would be helpful to know if setup changes in real life and in simulation are coherent or if they diverge somehow.
    Another thing to remember is that each track is somehow fossilized in a specific day of the year, so you will find differences between the track that is simulated in his summer condition and the real track in mid november. At the present moment you can't change those parameters to reflect actual conditions.

jayk likes this.
  4. jayk

jayk Registered

Awesome thank you for that post. I didn't get chance to get on as I was getting the car ready but will be on this week improving my line, braking etc. Its going to be a cold day and probably wet next Monday, so I might play about with the conditions if its possible.

5. jayk

jayk Registered

So I had a quick go last night, set the preset to heavy, didn't get time to test other presents, put the car back to standard and ran a 2:06:302. The simulation feels really good but my CSL does pick up a fair bit of rattle, although I've been able to minimise that abit. I ran the car on the standard setup. It feels good but lacks rear grip when coming out of the bends goes into oversteer and there is understeer coming out of brooklands and copse and the transition from becketts to chapel. I'll play around with the setup next to bring it more inline to how i run my car and see how it goes. Then Monday weather dependant I'll see how it compares. The steering feels really good in rFactor2, just wish my wheel was a better fit for it.

avenger82 and Comante like this.
  6. jayk

jayk Registered

After driving at Silverstone on Monday, I have to say the game is very good at providing a simulation for the radical sr3 rsx. I'll be spending winter on rFactor2 just putting in the time and racing AI also as I plan to race next year. Silverstone is very grippy even in the wet, so using a heavy preset in real rode is more comparative, I've never felt the track be "green".

Fun video i put together chasing a friend who races radical's, very fast chap!

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Ah nice to hear from you. I was just thinking about your track day. When you have some more time I think we would be glad to read a little more extensive about your experience with the real deal and the "fake" one. :D On my part I listened to your direction and applied the correct setup to the car, I felt very good with it, at least you get the idea that be fast everylap is quite demanding,but at the same time if you relax a bit your driving, you can enjoy it without too much fear of slamming it in a wall, that I think is one of the biggest shortcoming of simulated driving : understanding where the limit is and have a safe drive just a bit lower this line. Instead in simulation happen to crash the car pretty bad and not even understanding why, because cars are not much comunicative, fortunately this car is not one of those.

8. jayk

jayk Registered

Hi, Sorry its been a while I have been away in getting some much needed sun lol.

I think its a very good model. The fact I'm straight to a 2:06 on the sim and then a few days later went faster in reality than i have ever been, i'd say the sim helped, although chasing my friend also helped. I am new to my Radical this year so re-training my brain with no tuition has been tough. Braking is incredibly late and violent, cornering is extremely fast compared to anything I've ever driven. Once you get that in your mid your much quicker. In reality you are always a bit more careful, you have the real world around you, your head is getting smacked by the wind, you neck is taking a beating, your forearms and shoulders are hurting as the steering is so heavy after a number of laps. Yet the Sim and the Real car do behave very similar, with that heavy steering, braking in the same spots, high speed cornering. The car is really communicative in both real and sim. I do find abit more grip in reality on the rear coming out of slower bends, but you can loose traction as you can see my friend in front of me at brooklands fighting the car and having oversteer, but all well controlled. I find the car more controllable in reality, you just get a bit more feel.

I will be back on the sim over the winter a lot, trying to get faster and get braking points and turn in points fixed in my head for next year where i hope to race for the first time in UK club motorsport. So hoping the sim will really help.

Emery, Korva7 and lagg like this.
  9. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm stuck at 2.09 on the same track/condition, I know that my weak spot is braking and slow corners, I've been always weak in braking late and hard, Probably on a track so long I will easily find those seconds, as there is not much you can gain on a straight if the exit of the turn is not perfect. Seems time to learn how to brake.

10. jayk

jayk Registered

Here is my lap. Standard setup heavy track surface. I think the fuel is like 8 laps worth. You can see how i did it. Just lifting in the SR3 slows the car down a lot due to the high downforce.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4hRD7-gRYU/?igshid=1kcwr6wn2tgdp

11. Comante

Comante Registered

How much wing you had in this lap? I've noticed you barely being able to shift to 6th.

12. jayk

jayk Registered

I think i only dropped the rear down one or two holes. I'm pretty sure the rest of the car was left as standard with lighter fuel loads only. Not sure I changed tyre pressures. I reality on the Dunlop tyre which comes on the SR3 RSX from factory, target HOT pressure is 28psi.

13. jayk

jayk Registered

Just thought I'd update this. As i managed to get back on Silverstone GP and ran a 2:04:566. Changes - Rear wing at 5, fuel at 5 laps, gearing FD shorter by 1. The track preset was on heavy but the car still slides around a bit, especially into Copse you get a boat load of understeer and slide which kills your speed.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Dammit, I've managed to lap in 2.07.185... and now this.... :(

15. jayk

jayk Registered

Just watch some of the top guys in the real world on YouTube, pickup the lines, speed/entry into the corner/braking points.

There is a certain way to drive the Radical, much like most other high aero race cars. My target is a 2:02 which if i can stop sliding around should be achievable.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

:eek: 2.02 ?????????????? :eek: I can make 1 or two laps in 2.07 range, then 2.08 high is my racing pace. Must learn how to not overstress the front left (that to some extent is not possible to preserve). And I agree with you about the sliding killing the time.
    Probably I have something to do during the holidays. :D
    Thank you for sharing your progression, give me something to fight for.

17. jayk

jayk Registered

It's really about taking as much speed as you can, the faster you go the more grip you have. The car will go flat out into a number of corners. Braking is quick and heavy. I'll upload my lap for you so you can use it as a reference, hope it helps. Holiday's both you and me then :)

18. Comante

Comante Registered

Thank you, so much kind . I think I'm a sort of speed impeded person but still I would like to get the skill. I'll try for sure. I feel these cars are intended for " poligonal" trajectories instead of splines. Must adapt to the different fast lines and braking.

19. jayk

jayk Registered

I felt the same when I first drove it in real life and its taken me 6 track days to get my head around how to drive it and its capabilities. I guess it does help knowing the car in the real world and in taking that into the sim.

Couple of points to help. Brake hard maximum pressure from the top speed points as you have max aero and max tyre grip. The car looses speed quickly so come of the brake quickly and back on the power. It's almost a second, brake, power done very quickly. Even a lift and you'll loose alot of speed so some corners like Chapel, a lift and downshift is enough. Get on the power sooner, the car will grip you think it wont. Be smooth with throttle application.

Heres my 2:04 compared with a guy i know who won the Radical championship's qualifying lap in the real world which is also a 2:04. Its pretty much dead on. even the gear change points are the same. There is only 1 point where we are in different gears but same speed.

JimmyT, jayarrbee36 and avenger82 like this.
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Make sure you set real road preset in Practice session tab, then in quali and race set to Naturally progressing.
    Also in rF2 usually you are fastest with lowest tire pressures. If rear slides, maybe try lowering rear spring rate and anti-roll bar (if not already). In some cars lowering fast bump and rebound also helps. I will try the Radical,with some suspension changes, but I'm not the best at setups. There are guys who can make a car handle much better.