Talent File Editor ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.Guenette, Nov 10, 2013.

1. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

Hey.. I realize that a lot of people are not really concerned with AI these days but for me the ability to tweek AI parameters such as Race/Qualifying ability is a very important adjustment. I've downloaded and played a few mods and can really appreciate the time and effort put in to creating these mods. All the cars are beautifully represented along with the drivers names and teams. The problem lies in the race action afterwards. Top teams and drivers are racing around at the back of the grid whilst slower back markers are battling for the win. I realize that this AI behaviour is plugged in through a Talent file which contains the drivers Race/Qualifying/Reputation amongst other settings. I've also attempted to adjust these numbers but this just results in a red Damaged Mod label being placed beside the mod in Mod Manager. Can anyone tell me if there is a Talent File Editor available or one being worked on, that can be used to correctly adjust the drivers for any given mod? Having Vettel and the mighty Red Bull F1 car driving around in 18th and a Caterum winning races is just odd. Would love to adjust them correctly. Help !!

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Never ever change something in the "installed" folder. Extract the file you would like to edit from the mas file (MAS2.exe). Edit the file (talent file is a simple txt file, so notepad is ok for the job), create a new mas file with MAS2.exe and create a new package file (marked as update from the original mod, check the version number in Mod Manager). Install the update in MAS2.exe or in Mod Manager. The original content is untouched and you have no trouble in online sessions.

You don't have to package the whole contend of the mod. Just the modified files. It is still a mystery to me why nobody makes use of the rF2 update mechanism.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

If I may; how do you do that? There are tutorials, but they all speak of the "C" and "P" button which are not (anymore?) in the mas2 tool?

Edit, also; you can only make rfmod files as far as I can see......one time I got a good one, a talent file, but that one stands alone and I can't connect it to the mod itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

FYI, talent, veh, skins, etc, will all be outside of the mas files in another location at some point, to enable sharing of carsets rather than sharing of repackaged same cars with carsets.

5. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

create a new mas file with MAS2.exe and create a new package file (marked as update from the original mod, check the version number in Mod Manager).

How do you do that?

+1

I could use some step by step instructions. If you could please !!

6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 hope AIW files too and Thank You

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just use notepad for editing talent files, simple and easy. mas creation is a pain but once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long, just very tedious when you making small adjustments to a file! hopefully the new way well make things simpler again.

8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Run MAS2.exe (rF2Data\Support\Tools).
    Open the folder with the mas file you would like to edit (F:\rF2Data\Installed\Talent\F1RFT2013_TALENT\1.0) and drag and drop F1RFT2013_TALENT.mas to MAS2.exe.
    There is only one file inside the mas. Rightclick and extract the file to a working dir or Temp folder.
    You can now edit the extracted file (F1RFT2013_TALENT.RCD).
    In MAS2 click "Create a new MAS file" and drag your modified file into the MAS2 window.
    Save the file as "F1RFT2013_TALENT.mas" inside your working dir.
    Click "Create the package file" (the box icon) and select "Create Single Cmp Package".
    To make the update work you need some information (name and version) from original file. You should find this in Modmanager.
    The component name (F1RFT2013_TALENT) and the version (Update from 1.0) have to be exact like what you see in modmanager, otherwise the package will fail (Mod is not installed).

[​IMG]

If everything looks ok click "Package" and you will find your new created component inside the specified directory (in my case G:\Temp\F1RFT).
    Copy the file to the rF2 packages directory, run rF2 launcher and click modmanager.
    You should find something like this.

[​IMG]

Click update and the modmanager creates the directory "rF2Data\Installed\Talent\F1RFT2013_TALENT\1.01" including your newly created mas file and the manifest (mft) file.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Wow mister Tosch; what a briljant explanation! Thank you very much; can't wait to get home to try this out.
    Really, very nice of you to take the time to make this, awesome!

10. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Just one question Tosch; in your first screenshot, there is after "file" the line G:\temp.........." but how did you get that? It is a fcmp file with a different name; how did you make that? I just have the .mas, not an altered fcmp file?

All is going well until this; can you help me out please?

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just go to the folder where you would like to save your rcmp file, name the file and click "open" (I know, it's somewhat strange :D). The file will be created.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay Tosch, I did that. I'm not so good at this stuff, but after your explanation, I do get it. So cudo's to you; learning me something is pretty hard ;)

If I may however; I have still one question.......
    The file did update and as I gave one driver very, very low performance overall, he should be right at the back......he isn't.
    As I look in the mod manager, I see I can update the talent file so that works. When I click on the mod itself (took the same as in your example) I see what files it uses in the right bottom square; there it says it uses the talent file 1.0 still.........
    Do I have to update the mod itself too? There is nothing that says it can though.

Can you help me out once more? :)

14. maxspeed

maxspeed Registered

same thing happened to me as well.. updated talent 1.01 installed ok,, but not being use by mod?

15. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

Quote: Click update and the modmanager creates the directory "rF2Data\Installed\Talent\F1RFT2013_TALENT\1.01" including your newly created mas file and the manifest (mft) file.

I Clicked update which created the mft file but not the newly created mas file. Mod Manager pop up a message after hitting update saying "Out Of Memory". Not sure what's happening.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I haven't done this with vehicle files before. With tracks (changing textures, aiw files, scn files) I do this all the time and it works. Maybe you have to create a mod package and include the new talent file to force the mod to use it.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Tosch,

As a matter of fact; I did just that :)
    Been playing for several hours and can't leave it alone......you probably know how it is ;)
    I made the new mod (it was the bottom one of the four I believe) and choose the F1RFT cars, sounds and so on plus the home-made talent file. (Didn't choose tracks at first, later on I did).
    In all the cases where I did that, I got a good mod, installed it in the mod manager, it installed, said he was going to use the 1.01 talent and no errors! NICE!

In the game however; the mod was not there :( In all the cases, it was just there.
    I did everything the same as in the original mod was; all the same files except for the talent one.

Do you have any idea how that might come? I don't mind making a new mod, no problem, but if it's not there, it has no use ;)

18. maxspeed

maxspeed Registered

Nascar 2003 is look'n pretty good right na......
    heee haaaa stick it in your grandma 500....around n around n around we go 180 in2 the wall ....dead!!!

19. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

Thank Goodness!! This repackaging Mod is a real Pain. Tried to adjust a Talent file every which way and no luck getting it actually applied to the Mod. Too bad... Looking forward to talent, veh, skins, etc, being outside of the mas files in another location at some point.

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, this is beginning to get ridiculous isn't it?
    Help -once again- is sure as h*ll not coming from ISI but there is good help in the form of Tosch.
    We have to sort it out ourselves while the AI is this way since the beginning of rF1; all together within a second, the whole race long.....you're either in front or at the back.
    Sorting it out is a big pain in the bud.......while ISI should have/could have looked into that for a long, long time!

"It is no priority" and "we are in a constant state of development".......what IS priority? Offline sure as h*ll is not. Why make an offline choice in the game anyway?
    No help or decent gameplay whatsoever; online is everything.