Symmons Plains Raceway [WIP]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by WHAT21A, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I honestly see no need to make those metal wall panels full 3D. A nice normal map can do the job just as well -- you could even bake a normal map since you have it modeled. The window frames I would keep like this :) .

Building should look really good with some AO.

2. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

That was my initial reasoning behind modelling it in full 3d to start with so i can bake off a normal map, I want to see what both look like first though.

3. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Here's two of the buildings i've been working on the last few days. The race control building is completely finished with full AO, i just need to move it into position. The media centre is almost finished got to redo the shaders on the building to incorporate AO and model some ducts on the roof , ignore the yellow tarmac haven't put real road in the pitlane yet :)

4. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Update 23/06/2013

Did a few tests of the grass blending features of rf2, still going to have to remodel much of the runoff and grass areas if i want to take advantage though. Also a few screenshots of the close to finished Pitlane Buildings.

Also if anyone has any pictures of the surrounding areas of the track especially the backside of the pitlane buildings i'd be very greatful to receive anything. The back of the race control building is a complete guess at what it may look like because i have no reference.

Use these images for comparison. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hazi

Hazi Registered

TOP Notch!

6. lbird

lbird Registered

Good work Shaun! Looks really promising...

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Nice! Thanks ;)

8. Ash74

Ash74 Registered

Looks outstanding and very well done so far WHAT21A :cool:

9. Joshburdon

Joshburdon Registered

Looks awesome, well done. Being a local I know that track like the back of my hand, so if you want to know anything, just ask!

10. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Thanks for the pictures a few people have sent me they really are extremely helpful, if anyone has any more i'd be extremely grateful for any pictures.

After seeing a few errors in the way I've done the tyre walls, I've completely remade the the tyrewall base model. Here's a test i did with the new model in max.

[​IMG]

11. Jello

Jello Registered

Looks good, great work :). It will be nice to get another aussie track.

12. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hey Shaun. That look really good. I am doing a major update of Queensland Raceway Ipswich and also Lakeside Park.

I like how you have modelled your buildings. I think I can go much higher in detail this time around for both the rFactor and rFactor 2 versions.

Love your work..

Mike :)

13. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Thanks Mike, good luck with your projects also.

Here's a screenshot of a LOD test i did this morning for the tyre walls, the top is completely flat with a normal and diffuse map and the bottom is full 3d.

The full 3d will defiantly be staying but because of it being so high poly i needed to create a LOD for it so keep performance up.

14. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

15. Radar

Radar Registered

What WHAT21A is doing is testing, the last thing will be to fix up the textures and give it more 'life' and who knows, look more what you would like or himself for that matter..

Im glad he is spending the time to do these little tests and giving the info in the forums, it's helping others including myself in how to acheive the quality that rF2 deserves imho, things I'm sure Feels may have done also.

Keep up the great work and posts on your findings, even property settings if it will help people.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Ummm, some simple variation in the texture on the tires and it will look awesome compared to 99.9% of track tire walls out there. No need to recreate something that looks like it's from a track abandoned 20 years ago.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

About that blending stuff. Let's say I want my grass to use a different uv channel than the muddy tiremarks, would that be possible?

18. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

yep, the mud is on uv 1 and the grass is on uv 2 then i use vertex paint to tell the game where i want to mud.

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Great, thanks :)

20. Radar

Radar Registered

Awesome, I haven't tried that yet, sounds easy enough. Look forward to trying it soon. If I get time I may do a guide so others know how I performed the tasks.