Swapping Steering Wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkel1966, Feb 17, 2019.

1. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

Hi! I'm using 2 different wheels depending on the car. When I swap wheel#2 the game does not recognize it. I have to close the game, plug in the other wheel and run the game again. In another game title, I unplug wheel#1, plug in wheel#2, hit the refresh button for the devices and it will recognize the 2nd wheel. Is there a way around this?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@mkel1966
    Have you tried leaving both wheels plugged in and make a different controller profile for each.
    I have a friend who has a Logitech G25 & G27 both plugged in.
    He uses the G27 for steering but has the G25 wheel on the ground but uses the G25's seq shifter because the G27 doesn't have a seq shifter.
    Basically what I'm getting at is having two wheels plugged in doesn't seem to be a problem.

3. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

I have four wheels and four Json (one per wheel). No problem at all.

4. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

I thought of having both wheels plugged in but it would be my last resort, where to put the wheel not being used at the moment would be a bit of an issue because of the shorter coiled cable. It is not as simple as just using the same usb port located beside my wheel base. Thanks for the reply.

5. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

How do you do it? I have 2 profiles, one for each. When I unplug wheel#1, plug in wheel#2(on same usb port) and load #2's profile, base wheel works but not the button on the wheel hub. I always have to exit game and reload so the buttons also work.

6. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

I saw another thread("Multiple Controller Preset") here, sorry about starting another one. The only way it works for me is to make sure that both wheels are plugged in before starting the game. It comes out to be Device#1 and Device#7 in-game but both have the same name as "Serial/Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick". Maybe there's a way to rename one of them different in win10.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

In your controller.json (Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player)
    and in your controller profile jsons you have saved (Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller)
    there is a line:
    "Realtime Controller Detection":true,
    "Realtime Controller Detection#":"whether to check for new controllers while in realtime (0 to disable if it causes any problems, cannot currently be enabled for Windows 8)",
    Make sure it is set to true, like above.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

As far as i know, rF2 doesn't recognise any usb device that isn't connected before you start de game.

mkel1966 likes this.
  9. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

Still doesn't work for me. I'm guessing both wheels are using same circuit board/codes that's why game can't differentiate them, I don't know.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It may be something as basic as WHEN rF2 goes looking for a controller. Remember the guts of this sim are almost a decade old. I'm fairly certain the original devs didn't imagine folks with multiple wheels. My suspicion is that rF2 looks for controllers fairly early in the boot-up of the entire sim. Thus swapping a wheel while already inside the sim may be past the point where rF2 would normally make the connections to the wheel and it's profile. Just a guess.

11. mkel1966

mkel1966 Registered

I think you're right. I just forgot to turn on my wheel base before starting the game and it was not recognized even when you hit the "Detect" button. Hopefully they can fix/update this.