Suspension Car Editor

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Leonardo1962, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Very professional work. Congratulations. I am not in car modding but this sounds of great interest and I am sure it will help many people to create better mods.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Hello, seems to be interesting for me, If you want, I can take the beta and check with our physics team to provide feedbacks. Send me an PM to discuss if you want.

3. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

+1

4. gagipro

gagipro Registered

that's what is missing !!!

cannot wait to correct my models and release them to the community !!!

5. clockit

clockit Registered

I'm available for beta testing, got nothing but free time....

6. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Very complete physic tool!! Congrats for your project!!! I´m also interested in helping you on testing.

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Leonardo!

Any news about the progress ? Hope all went well :)

8. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi folks,

thanks for your interest.

I improved the initialisation, startup behaviour, the import of suspension and tire datas.

Last thing was to integrate and visualize the tire slip values (acceleration, deceleration and lateral friction coefficient.).

View attachment 12643

For now i m working to generate 12 different tire types 'Default', 'Soft', 'Super Soft', 'Intermediate', 'Wet', 'Street', 'Hard','Sand', 'Snow', 'Super Hard', 'FUN', from which a driver can choose from. Each tire will have a different behaviour, when its finished.

To generate a working suspension all needed files are calculated and stored as GMT files with the needed HDV entries are inserted or modified. All .INI .pm files are generated or modified.
    (per one click on the transfer button for now 146 necessary files are generated in less than a minute.

I use same template folders system f.e for rims brake disk and damper. in this folders I created my own prototype samples. For example the prototype rim is rescaled exactly in fitted shape to the tire model and positioned at each car corner for up to 5 lods (max, High, Med, low and ultra low).

Even the (sm)ICONs (for teams and rFm) are generated ans stored, if the do not exist. The Icons are placeholder, but you have to replace them by your own. I USE the nvidia DDS tool.
    With the following command, i generate the ICONS out of a Windows BMP Bitmap.
    "nvdxt,exe -nomipmap -u8888 -file *.* -outdir ..\ -quality_highest"

View attachment 12644

To get the system running on an other computer system, without copying all my private prototypes, i generate all needed car files by dummy cube body- and cockpitparts, that stands as substitute for your body parts.

A whole working Car with all important geometry GMT, INI, PM, HDV GEN files and DDS texture file is generated by clicking the "create new rFactor vehicle in ModDev" menu button. These geometry GMT files are named in the two GEN files of the mod.

View attachment 12645

Some message windows then ask for driver-, team names and car number. Then a car is generated through very ugly cubes (for now) as you can see. But this car is already drivable and tuneable. With a very wide range of gear ratios, high torque engine, clutch, working debris, lights mirrors etc.

View attachment 12646

The purpose of these placeholder Cube GMT files is to replace them body part by part with the final shape of the new car.

Not all works as I would like to have, but I'm working on it, as you can see. I integrated some measurement GMT to analyse the suspension behaviour under different driving conditions.

I would like link a first beta release as soon as possible, to support your car modding developments. But I need a little more time to get my tool some more user-friendly.

So please keep on working
    Leonardo

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  9. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Ho dear, i need your tool to finish my bm m3!!!

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Leonardo this is absolutely awesome :p :cool:. Thanks for the detailed feedback !
    Please take your time for this fantastic piece of software! But you must understand now the crowd is hungry ;)

Looking forward to your next step !

Alex

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Holy Moly! You and your tool is exactly what rf2 needs to get more people starting with car modding I think :)

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ingenious !

13. Raúl Cor

Raúl Cor Registered

hi, how much euros cost this software and where can i buy this?

14. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Did you read the thread?
    It´s a custom tool, not publicly released yet...

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Tire slip curves are not used anymore in rF2. TBC files are just used for AI, basically.

Really impressive stuff anyway, can't wait to test your software :)

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

ISI please put this guy into staff. He is the linking chain to full the circle between modders and developers

enviado mediante tapatalk

17. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Sure! If this tool work, You can probably offer him a green card ;)

18. k3nny

k3nny Registered

Interesting project, hope for it.

19. Butters

Butters Registered

Can't wait to see the Beta version. If you could add a dirt tyre to the list of tyre types I would be absolutely stoked as all the mod content I am working on is Dirt Oval.

20. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi all,

thanks Domi, for your hint.

I wrote a Import filter to read the tire friction coefficient, to visualize and check the values of the SLIPCURVE of xxx_TIRES.TBC file.
    Didnt realize that they arent used for the game. :confused:
    The shown values seems for me to look plausible, but your hint helps me to waste no time to get to deep into it.

To get the suspension editor working and test suspension arms, parameters and tires, my tool creates a drivable rFactor2 car from scratch, in less than a minute.
    To create all needed files, also the SLIPCURVE values of the in xxx_TIRES.TBC file have to be written.

For now i use some files of rTrainer as template and the tool modify this files with the new mod name and values. But this method is to vulnerable, so i startet to generate the content of the important files individually from the scratch. This means a lot of programming work to get finished and has the risk of getting outdated, whithout an update, if rFactor gets new features.

But this makes it easy to create and integrate lots of tidbits f.e. of upgrades, individually adjustable drivetrain parameters (differential-locks, gear ratios, engine torque, frontwheeldrive, four wheel drive, wider garage parameters, unrestricted engines etc.)

For now i'm struggeling with RideHeight vs. SpringRange. Normaly the lowest body mesh vertex is on zero. The suspension arms and springs have to lift the body from zero to the desired RideHeight and handle at least the vehicle weight. I calculate the damper and springrates and suspension armpositions and set them in HDV file.

This is working fine - sometimes - but some calculated suspension are crashing to desktop. Haven't figured out why. It looks like that wrong parameters gets the inGame calculation to overflow or zero division, by calculating to low SpringRange, to hard BumpStops or wrong pushrod position (f.e. pushrodposition is very sensible), which is very thrilling, but also time consuming.

I gave a first pre beta version to some testers to get and fix the most notably bugs. I may thank them for first testings and feedback.

Thank you for your patience.

Leonardo :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014