Support for Oculus Rift HMD

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by stuff, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Yeah, that would be my biggest hold back too. I have to see my controls. And would be even worse with a flight sim. But man it would be fantasic in TES. I used TrackIR in Morrowind for a while. Probably one of the first, if not the only one to do so. I used mouse emulation mode with TIR1. It actaully worked pretty well, just remembering I didn't need to move the mouse was the hardest thing at first. My character would follow my head movement, of course, so that took a bit pof practice. Still it worked very well. Don't know if you recall but there were glitches in Mouse Emulation back then, so I finally went back to the mouse full time.
    ArmA is better, but it too takes awhile to master. In ArmA headtracking only moves your view and doesn't require mouse emulation mode to work. So you can be walking east while looking north, for instance. Took forever to get through the obstacle course in the training mission. It was something different, that's for sure.
    This device would suit me a little better in a shooter, I believe. However, I would not want 1:1 only. I would not want to have to stand up to play a game. I think I would rather it work like TrackIR does in ArmA. Head tracking via Oculus controls your view only. Movement direction controlled by mouse. Then it would be ideal. Tying the two together like a normal shooter wouldn't suit me.

Anyway, if ISI was to add it, that's cool I guess. It isn't something I would likely use and I really don't think some are thinking through entirely or they would likely figure it just doesn't make sense in a race/flight 'sim'. A simple race game, maybe, but a sim that requires more than simple input, just not the right hardware for the job.

Now lets talk domes you sit under to play. Now that is VR at it's finest ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  2. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

+1
    how expensive will this be?

3. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Pretty cheap actually, $300.00 I think is what the web site says. May even be less one the public release becomes available. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if head tracking can be accelerated. If so, I would like to get one for shooters.

1 person likes this.
  4. joeandjoe

joeandjoe Registered

hm, i think displaying controls shouldnt be such a problem, you have them actually in the game dont you?
    wheel, shifter, pedals,
    they are all in the game,
    the only thing you need is adjusting the position of all these controls in the game to match reality.

5. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

I am wondering if this has been addressed yet at all?

6. martymoose

martymoose Registered