Support for 3dsMax 2013 (32bit)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Simon Peace, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

Can I ask whether 2013 will be supported with shaders and exporter with the next build of rF2?

Or more generically, will you be supporting 2013 at all?

Cheers
    Simon

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Was there anything particularly useful added in 2013?

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

For rF2, no.

4. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

I'll try to get 2013 plugins asap. probably just a recompile, but requires vs 2010.

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Imho nothing. :)

Tried a non-commercial-use version (with full features) and uninstalled after some hours. Some operations are so slow...the viewport is demanding a lot of power and the material section is mental for me. Crashes are a standard...Still using the 2010...:)

6. SteveGee

SteveGee Registered

Are there any plans to support older versions of 3DS Max, like Max 7? Or, is it lacking in some features for rF2 models?

7. Butters

Butters Registered

Not to pester but any luck or progress with the 2013 plugin?

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

since this is a thread for 3ds, may I make a couple of noob questions?

First is, is 3ds the main tool for car and track modelling? Im quite familiar with acad 3d modelling by proffesion, so if this is the case, perhaps in future do some modelling in 3ds myself, or is it a different game alltogether?
    Second, you do your modelling with meshes and surfaces? Nothing in solids? Sorry for jumping in.

9. Tuttle

eheheh...:)

3Ds Max is the main tool just because we're using plugins for 3Dmax, but in thoery you can use other 3D software to model your mesh (you've just to follow the game engine guidelines)..then import into max for the final touch and exporting (I use the FBX as interchange format). I personally use 3DsMax, Cinema 4D and Autocad for measures and some calculation...but when it's time to finalize the work we all have to work with 3Ds. :)

Autocad is nice for the very first step of modeling (especially for some car detail and measurements or to prepare blueprints) but it's not suitable to make the job as we work with meshes, polygons, surfaces, splines etc...and of course we can't work in solids. :)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I thought so, no solids, heavy arent they. But as you say, nothing beats acad to precise measurements.
    Thanx for reply, car modelling is always in my wish list :)

11. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

I finally had a chance to look at making Max 2013 plugins, it's a lot more work than just a re-compile like the previous versions. They have switched to unicode, which is a BFD and means I would have to modify a lot of code. Probably on hold until post-retail release.

12. LionHeart

LionHeart Registered

Similar thing...any plans (even post-retail) to release the plugins also for 64bit version (for Max 2013 or older)?

13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

AutoCAD does work with solids, meshes, polygons, etc in a more accurate way than 3dsMax. But, yes, no use to do all work in there, mainly for texturing, AutoCAD is not the most recomended tool (and there's no plugins for it, of course).

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Not really, its extremely accurate, has very easy measuring tools but doesnt have the millions parameters as 3ds, to change curving objects.
    Just try making a simple thing as a solid...egg in acad! Till acad 2004, it was a nightmare!
    Havent tried modelling in recent versions though, only rendering at which it shines! (they bought and use 3ds engine in those)

15. Tuttle

AutoCad can't be considered as a polygon modeling platform. Not at all. There're some new mesh modeling tools in latest releases but the control above the mesh is awful if compared with other softwares, like 3DsMax. So, no. If you want an accurate (for me "accurate" means I have the TOTAL control above my work, without compromises due tools limitations) modeling using point to point or starting from primitives, you have to work outside Autocad.

Autocad is a great tools for engineers, not for modelers....and this is why Autodesk offer different platforms for different users. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  16. Tuttle

I've tried in the 2012 version....forget about it. :)

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

And then it comes down to usage.
    I can see clearly the benefits of 3ds, but when youve reached a point that you dont have to think where things are in a program (acad for me), changing to another, is close to impossible (no, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks)

18. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Im so stuck, RF2 plugins require 32bit 2012 3ds while Ghost town script requires 64bit. I dont know what to do .=/

19. ethone

ethone Registered

The .max files are compatible between 32 and 64bit, so just do what you need to do with Ghost Town in 64bit, save the file, start up the 32bit version and do what you need to do with the rF2 plugins.