Suggestions for Launcher's Server browser

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by João Silva, Nov 2, 2018.

?

What changes would you like to see on the launcher server browser?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2018.
  1. able to connect to private servers, and hide them from the public list

100.0%
  2. redesign the server browser, allowing more information to be displayed about the server's communty

100.0%
  3. show how many bots are connected on the server

100.0%
  4. saving preferences, show favorites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. João Silva

João Silva Registered

I don't know what are the studio's plans for the launcher, but the current one is seriously flawed.

Problems related with the current launcher, and the server browser specifically:
    • there's no way to connect to a non listed server
    • which brings to the point, server admins can't choose NOT to list their own server from the public list. Are all servers public? This is bad for 99% of the players who are looking for a server to join - admins don't configure the server properly on purpose to prevent unknown people from connecting. This is a waste of time when looking for a server to connect. There should be an option for server admins, configuring their server as public or private. This is different from password protecting.
    • Password protection: But how to connect? I suggest adding the possibility for server admins to write more information about their server, on how to join their community, to be able to connect to the server. (might be just a link - currently i just google the hostname of the server, and try to look for the community website, register, etc etc.) With the extra information, a player would have the chance to interact with that community, which runs the modification that you like, with little effort. In summary, there's too little space dedicated to the server meta-information, and this calls for a redesign, with more area in the screen dedicated to details on the servers you're about to connect.
    • Another major issue with the server browser, is that there is no way of checking how many bots are connected. 70% of the times I try to play this game with a human, i connect to a server, realize that all drivers are bots, disconnect and try another. Its a time waster
    • finally, the launcher doesn't save my preferences - i have to tick all 4 boxes on the server browser everytime. also, i haven't figured out how to display the favorites. i haven't looked for it either.

The package manager on the launcher has issues too, but thats for another thread, another time.

I think the game is the nr 1 simulator, but there are some BAD design decisions which gets to my nerves. Im a software architect, and the launcher isn't up to standards. which is a shame. I have no problem with the menus in-game though. only with the launcher.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018