sub 30fps with a GTX 1080 on triples is normal?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Turco, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Turco

Turco Registered

Ok, these are my specs:

i5 5640 3.2ghz
    GTx 1080 from MSI
    16gb Ram Fury X
    1. I use triples, so my resolution is 5760x3240
    2. I set all my graphic options to high (not full)
    3. Shadows at "medium"
    4. No PPE
    5. Not reflection
    6. No particles
    7. AA at 8x
    8. Aniso filter at 8x
    9. Always racing at cockpit view
    I know my CPU is not great, but it's not horrible neither.
    I can get over 60fps with iRacing, Assetto Corsa, pCars and over 120fps when starting a race at the back of the grid (with over 25 cars on track).

But with rF2 it's a whole different story: I get sub 30 fps during the start of the race and almost never get my fps to over 60, no matter what the graphics are... the performance are specially poor when racing the Radicals and the new McLaren at DX11 even on optimized tracks.
    • I tried to reinstall everything and download the whole sim again but absolutely nothing changed
    • I have no anti-virus installed, nor suspicious software running while racing
    • This problem occurs when racing around 20 AI cars, alone in the track I can get over 100fps.
    • I don't use post-processing effects, but when turned on, I see no difference in performance
    • When I switch to DX9 I get around a 10fps boost, but still insufficient to get a playable performance
    I don't know if this is a normal condition, but i don't think so.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Sub 30 fps is not right for your gear and config. I'll check mine and post the results for 20 Radicals at Silverstone.

3. Turco

Turco Registered

If it's possible, try at Interlagos.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Standing start, 21st grid spot. 48 fps was low at start and then again at the hairpin, highs were around 80 fps before the lap was half completed. I have reflections turned on full.

Things for you to check:
    1) Turn off vSync
    2) Use GPU-Z to confirm that your PCI-E slot is running 3.0 mode and not 2.0 mode.

5. Turco

Turco Registered

Are you using three screens?

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Sao Paulo was 48 fps low, mostly stayed around 50-60 fps through the first lap, and then peaked at about 100 fps on the final turn as the field spread out.

7. Turco

Turco Registered

It's 2.0, how do I change that?

8. Turco

Turco Registered

So, my PCI-E is at 2.0 only, but i don't think my mobo is compatible with 3.0 since I only saw this information on its manual:
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    1 x PCI

9. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

Really? I run triples and my settings are 5760 x 1080, your second (height) parameter is three times mine which doesn't make sense. So each of your monitors are 1920 x 3240?o_O

10. Turco

Turco Registered

sorry, it's 1080 lol. My bad.

not_him_59 likes this.
  11. Emery

Emery Registered

Sorry, new motherboard time. rF2 has always been sensitive to PCI-E bandwidth.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I conducted tests on PCIe in this post. Even on a GTX 1050 Ti, which is about 3x less powerful than 1080, PCIe 2.0 x16 gets bottlenecked in certain situations. For example, if I race against 20 McLaren's, bus usage is over 50%, which means my GPU isn't fully utilized. Unfortuantely I can't test on PCIe 3.0, but I'm almost certain it would give me more FPS with many opponents on track.

13. Yoko

Yoko Registered

Hey there,
    have you checked whether you have assigned the gpu correctly in the rf2 launcher settings menu?
    If your bios settings are on default the PCIe version is set to auto. As long as your gpu and mobo supports PCIe 3.0 (you can check via Gpu-Z and in bios), the gpu uses PCIe 1.1 (on my gtx 980tiI) and when starting rf2 it changes to PCIe 3.0 which can be checked ingame pressing alt+tab looking at gpu-z. In which way did you reinstall you gpu drivers? Did you use recommended software like DDu?
    Have you checked you bios settings, if you have turned on something like "iGpu", or "EIST"? If so, try shut it off. Greetings and good luck

14. Turco

Turco Registered

Thnks for the help.
    I found out that my mobo doesnt support pci-e 3.0 :-(

15. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Is that really relevant? There are tons of benchmarks showing that there is almost no difference in performance between PCI-e 1.0 to 3.0 in gaming, at least with one monitor.

16. T.Hartmann

T.Hartmann Registered

From what I know, it is important to rf2. Maybe Most of games There isn't. We had Same Problems with a league mate. He just bought a New mobo!
    Greets

17. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I would also say your CPU is bottlnecking you GPU.

I was running till yesterday an i5-2500 - Faster than your CPU, with and Nvidia 1070.. 16gb ram - Was pcie 3.0
    Using 5760x1080 triples, most things on high, except reflections on low.. also PP was High not max.

I can get 50-80 fps on most tracks..

however I was suspecting i was CPU bottlenecked in a lot of games.. looking at some other benchmarks.. So i splurged and dropped in a i7-7700, (So had to get new MB) - Put it together and low and behold i got 20% (Yest 20% framerate improvement) - RF2, Battlefield 1 i got 25% improvement, Project Cars 2 - 23% improvement and some other games (all around 20%).

Given such a huge boost, given you are using pci-e2.0 and given your cpu is slower than my old one.. i'd be 99% sure your cpu/mb is bottlenecking you dramatically.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Two years ago there was a 22% gain going from PCI-E 2 to 3 in rF2 at 1080p using GTX 970 (chart). Today I suspect it's even more, as cars like McLaren are more detailed, so there is more data to be moved around, especially at race starts. With a new track and car combo like McLaren & NOLA, already 10 visible opponents starts to use the PCI-E 2 lane excessively on my PC.